Revolution

Lost In Xanadu

Anyone watch the pilot.

How freaking corny. ***Spoilers ahead***

So there's a blackout, and even batteries don't work, but guns are fine? WTF?? Aren't both simple chemical reactions?

It was fun to watch and contemplate the absurdity of it. smile.gif

Engines not working?

PHYSICS. Have the laws of physics just stopped?

Planes don't spiral out of the sky like that.

In 15 years, it's not even remotely possible everything would be so overgrown.

wacko.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 19 2012, 11:08 PM)
It was fun to watch and contemplate the absurdity of it. smile.gif

Engines not working?

PHYSICS. Have the laws of physics just stopped?

Planes don't spiral out of the sky like that.

In 15 years, it's not even remotely possible everything would be so overgrown.

wacko.gif

Yeah, and the last minute of the pilot was complete shit. Oooooo magic locket!

I'm glad this got shit reviews, it's a total ripoff of a much-better story called Dies the Fire.

When I saw Revolution was coming out, I started this thread over at the Turn the Page board:

Revolution is a Dies The Fire ripoff

For one thing, if you didn't have electricity for years how the hell would all the chicks' hair and makeup be perfect in every shot?

An awesome idea totally wasted. sad.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 19 2012, 10:33 PM)
Anyone watch the pilot.

So there's a blackout, and even batteries don't work, but guns are fine? WTF?? Aren't both simple chemical reactions?

I'm going to disagree with you, Coach. We watched the pilot over the weekend On Demand. I have to say, I really enjoyed it.

You guys are getting worked up over the liberties it takes with physics? Come on guys. Suspend reality a little and just enjoy the show.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Sep 24 2012, 03:43 PM)
Anyone watch the pilot.

I'm going to disagree with you, Coach. We watched the pilot over the weekend On Demand. I have to say, I really enjoyed it.

You guys are getting worked up over the liberties it takes with physics? Come on guys. Suspend reality a little and just enjoy the show.

Nice to know someone besides me is intrigued and plans to catch the second installment.

Like "Lost", the series that had so many of you salivating for the next episode, didn't take just a few liberties with How Stuff Really Works In Reality?

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 24 2012, 08:36 PM)
Anyone watch the pilot.

Nice to know someone besides me is intrigued and plans to catch the second installment.

Like "Lost", the series that had so many of you salivating for the next episode, didn't take just a few liberties with How Stuff Really Works In Reality?

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/blackcc/GIFs/harry-caray---good-point-1.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Sep 20 2012, 11:47 AM)
I'm glad this got shit reviews, it's a total ripoff of a much-better story called Dies the Fire.

When I saw Revolution was coming out, I started this thread over at the Turn the Page board:

Revolution is a Dies The Fire ripoff

For one thing, if you didn't have electricity for years how the hell would all the chicks' hair and makeup be perfect in every shot?

An awesome idea totally wasted. sad.gif

goodpost.gif

I can't willingly suspend my disbelief because the show MAKES NO SENSE. wacko.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 24 2012, 07:36 PM)
Anyone watch the pilot.

Rick - seeing we're outside of SOCN, it's ok to not agree. I agree with you on most things in SOCN though....

But to Mara point: Lost COULD take liberties because they landed on some mysterious island that could move thru time and space. It was written to take these liberties.

Revolution is supposed to be here on Earth. Magically nothing works, no electricity, not even batteries, but if you have a magic locket, everything's good. Seriously, WTF? That isn't just taking liberties with reality, it makes no sense. Why do guns work, but not batteries?

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

Can I give it a backhanded compliment? Nowhere near as bad as Terra Nova. Terra Nova was the epitome of 'so bad it's good' storytelling. Revolution (after 4 epidodes) has been OK but I doubt it'll get much better. Not sure where all the love for Lost comes from, after the fact. Overall it was an average show. Great start, crawling finish.

I just watched the first two episodes and

http://posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/frozen/CLiZJqFcDKEv9Yk4je6gBOGky48kgpYGkycW56zN4H6m82nb0GiPOKehamhH/sad-kitty1.jpg

I was kind of looking forward to this series, I had hope that we might have the possibility of a decent sci-fi made here in the good ole USA. What a disappointment. This show in particular has so many issues that I kind of feel it is not worth discussing. Revolution is dead in the water. I can not think of a single positive for this program.

I will bring up just one example of the failure of this show, diesel engines. I do not want to seem nit-picky about this particular point but as an example of the failure of science fiction on television.

Diesel engines fire by compression, no electricity of any kind needed.

Now I can take a certain bit of disbelief when watching science fiction. The Enterprise running around in hyperspace and Treknobabble saves the day in many an episode. So what, it was a fun ride and our perception of the real world is tossed out the quantum polarizing chamber because that universe is really far beyond our comprehension and real knowledge.

Revolution is set at our current time period, which we all know well by experience. There are so many ways to set up a post industrial/electronic world other than some kind of magical electricity does not work in any form, except the forms in which it is convenient for the writers. this show a prime example of the failure of network television writing.

Dammit, if you are going to put millions of dollars into a sci-fi show or a western of any other period or fantasy piece. Hire some consultants, hire some science fiction writers, hire some historians, hire some experts. I do not find it interesting what the writers of Hawaii Five-0, CSI, Law & Order Svu, Charmed have to say about this world that is ill-conjured.

I understand that network television wants to appeal to a broad audience, but does it have to be so vacuous to achieve that?

I has a sad kitty because it could be better and it could be different. A couple of recent examples.

History Channels Hatfields and McCoys actually had higher viewership than this piece of network trash.

HBO's Game of Thrones, certainly not higher viewer numbers but it is the most pirated show ever at 4 million downloads per show.

These shows have/had quality writing and are in fleshed-out worlds, not something that just seems make it up as you go. They have grit.

They have a comprehension of compression.

I think the problem is

"History Channels Hatfields and McCoys actually had higher viewership than this piece of network trash."

That's because that miniseries was AWESOME, much-deserved viewship for a good piece of television.

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Oct 13 2012, 02:15 AM)
Now I can take a certain bit of disbelief when watching science fiction. The Enterprise running around in hyperspace and Treknobabble saves the day in many an episode. So what, it was a fun ride and our perception of the real world is tossed out the quantum polarizing chamber because that universe is really far beyond our comprehension and real knowledge.

Agreed. Give me some DS9 "Children of Time" or "Duet" anyday.

I keep watching; I'm still interested, though the endless pursuits and narrow escapes are getting a teeny bit old. They're going to have to move away from that soon.

This past Monday's episode was by far the best. Some of the character relationships are finally starting to come together.

As for diesel - all well and good, but you have to GET to it first. Of course there ought to have been plenty of tankers sitting around full.