*Spoilers*Ged's Bass

Dscrapre

On this tour Geddy seems to be playing a bass that I don't think I've ever seen before. It's the white one that he uses on Halo Effect, Headlong Flight, The Wreckers and The Garden. I'm not sure if it's on any others.

The point is, why? I know that he changes basses when performing songs in alternate tunings, so, does that mean that those songs are all in a non-standard tuning? If so what are they in?

Curiosity, man.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Sep 19 2012, 09:26 PM)
On this tour Geddy seems to be playing a bass that I don't think I've ever seen before. It's the white one that he uses on Halo Effect, Headlong Flight, The Wreckers and The Garden. I'm not sure if it's on any others.

The point is, why? I know that he changes basses when performing songs in alternate tunings, so, does that mean that those songs are all in a non-standard tuning? If so what are they in?

Curiosity, man.

It's a different year than his others, different pickup setup, he must think it sounds best for the new songs that's my guess.

It's not white either it's mint green

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Sep 19 2012, 07:26 PM)

Curiosity, man.

This one? I saw it as sky blue in color...

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Rush%202012%20The%20Palace%20Detroit/IMG_2837_zps35e5a9b4.jpg

The bass in question is from the Fender Custom Shop - Surf Green with a 'relic' treatment, custom pickguard by James Hogg, pearloid markers and set up to Ged's specifications.

It was great to see it on stage - I think it looks striking under the lights. We were real excited about this project.

Edited by brideofskully

Still prefer the look and sound of the old Ricky 4001. It has a distinct sound that really punched up those earlier Rush tunes like... Xanada.

Cant get into that beat up look, but the color is pretty cool. Ive never been into the look of those Fenders in general, much prefer something like an MTD, but I am into that color. You dont see it too often.

A nice looking 5-string MTD here. I like the design of these a lot more than those Fenders, of course these cost a hell of a lot more than most Fenders though since they are all hand built by Mike Tobias, not built by machines like Fenders are.

To me the look of this beauty blows away those Fenders. Would love to see Geddy play something like this, especially since they have that punchy sound he looks for.

http://www.mtdbass.com/content/uploads/2012/07/20120713-073043.jpg

Edited by trenken

I should mention that this particular bass *was* master-built (by a single craftsman). You can kind of blame me if you don't like the colour, since Skully always defers to me for my opinion (hahah); but Fender's Surf Green has a particular quality that almost gives it a 'ghostly' glow depending on the lighting, I think. It looks positively stunning under low lighting, especially.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 20 2012, 10:30 AM)
It looks a bit different under all the stage lights.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/GeddyLeeBass_zps0a928c9a.jpg

Yeah, that is pretty. wub.gif

-Jane

2.gif

QUOTE (brideofskully @ Sep 20 2012, 11:37 AM)
I should mention that this particular bass *was* master-built (by a single craftsman). You can kind of blame me if you don't like the colour, since Skully always defers to me for my opinion (hahah); but Fender's Surf Green has a particular quality that almost gives it a 'ghostly' glow depending on the lighting, I think. It looks positively stunning under low lighting, especially.

He did a great job! And, I like how it changes colors with the lighting, so you can pat yourself on the back there. The Chameleon Bass. Welcome to TRF, by the way.

I'd say if Geddy chose to prominently play and tour with that baby, it must be alright. I don't know jack about bass guitars, but Geddy has been around them for awhile.

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 20 2012, 11:12 AM)
A nice looking 5-string MTD here. I like the design of these a lot more than those Fenders, of course these cost a hell of a lot more than most Fenders though since they are all hand built by Mike Tobias, not built by machines like Fenders are.

To me the look of this beauty blows away those Fenders. Would love to see Geddy play something like this, especially since they have that punchy sound he looks for.

Yuck. Disagree completely. I think each of Geddy's Fenders looks much better than that thing. I can't really comment on the sound, though. There are professional players and sound guys that would certainly disagree with Geddy's opinion; but, Geddy has certainly displayed the chops to give his own opinion strong credibility. You make it sound like Geddy buys his basses out of a gumball machine.

Chance to change strings maybe?

Or it could be that the songs are played in alternate tunings? I know he's used the red jazz bass for 2112 because it's tuned a half-step (or is it whole?) down.

Cant get into that beat up look, but the color is pretty cool. Ive never been into the look of those Fenders in general, much prefer something like an MTD, but I am into that color. You dont see it too often.

MTD is a beautiful bass

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 20 2012, 10:12 AM)

Not digging it. Too modern looking. Seems like more of a Les Claypool sort of thing. To each, there own.

I'm sure it sounds great though.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 20 2012, 11:30 AM)
It looks a bit different under all the stage lights.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/GeddyLeeBass_zps0a928c9a.jpg

That looks like the one I saw. So pretty... wub.gif

Thanks for the photo. smile.gif

And thanks for the link, Rush-O-Matic, very nice. smile.gif

Geddy's new bass

trink39.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Sep 20 2012, 02:29 PM)

MTD is a beautiful bass

Yeah man, some of the best ever made. They're made by Mike Tobias, he spends about 6 weeks on each bass.

I just never liked Fenders with those thick goofy looking arms. I always loved MTDs since they're a mix of modern but not over the top or silly looking at all, very classy looking. They look like serious machines and are works of art. No silly paint jobs, just all exotic woods. Great stuff.

Its a shame though that Gibson took over his Tobias company so he had to start a new one with MTD. Tobias basses were awesome in the 80s and 90s. Ill bet he got a nice chunk of change from Gibson though to use his name.

He also makes some amazing 4 and 6 strings of course. This is just one of the 5's that I believe he is currently selling.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 20 2012, 12:11 PM)
Still prefer the look and sound of the old Ricky 4001.  It has a distinct sound that really punched up those earlier Rush tunes like... Xanada.

Because Geddy and Paul McCartney were 4001 guys, I always wanted to own one myself. I still may buy one as a self indulgence. And I picked my name because of that. But, truth be told, having played them, the action (if that's the right term for string height from the body, I don't play as much as I did 30 years ago) is too low for my taste.

For some reason I never wanted to like Fenders. I can't for the life of me remember why that was. But I remember seeing Geddy playing one on the MP inner sleeve (see how old I am? biggrin.gif ) and being disappointed.

I like the mint green Jazz bass.

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 20 2012, 12:12 PM)

That is a pretty bass. I like the paint job. Active pickups, handcrafted. Bolt on neck? Tone is quite solid, I'm sure.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing the photo. smile.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Sep 20 2012, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 20 2012, 12:12 PM)

That is a pretty bass. I like the paint job. Active pickups, handcrafted. Bolt on neck? Tone is quite solid, I'm sure.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing the photo. smile.gif

trink39.gif

Yep they are bolt ons just for the convenience of being able to replace it as it ages. They arent painted though, they are stained. Those are the natural patterns of the wood, paint would just cover that up which would be criminal.

I have a 6 string that I bought from Mike about 4 years ago. He has a shop up in the Catskills at his house and will actually let anyone just call him up and go visit him if you were interested in any of his basses. Which is pretty unusual since he does built a lot of basses for many famous musicians. You dont usually see guys like him just letting anyone come by his house. Very nice guy, very old so Im not sure how much longer he'll be doing this.

I watched him clean my bass on that same table that other pic was taken on.