PSY'S Gangnam Style.

D3strukt

This song is constantly, CONSTANTLY played on the radio here in Orlando. eh.gif

'Course, I live in Little Saigon/Korean/Japan town (literally 2 blocks away)

so, yeah.

Though, it seems it's taken up all over the place, I can't speak for other countries though, but it seems KPop has finally hit it big here. Other artists, like Girls Generation, and Big Bang are becoming increasingly popular.

Not complaining at all... It's actually a damn good song, just surprised.

Anyone else here it on the radio?

Also, the dance is really fun.

Edited by D3strukt

It's a fun song and I like it. Am I going to buy this guy's music or albums? Not a chance. But, it is what it is. I like having breaks from the seriousness of Rush and other music to wig out on things like this.
  • Like 1

I never heard of it until it was spoofed on SNL a couple weeks ago.

But since the radio only ever plays crap, I don't know if it's being played to death here either.*

*Also why RUSH, DT, and other good CDs are on constant rotation in the car.

I think Asian pop music is generally better, the beats are better, the lyrics aren't shit, a little bright and poppy music is good for the soul. None of that LMFAO "get drunk, party and f**k" bullshit.

SNSD is good too. They're Korean as well, 9 girl super group who sing in English, Japanese, and Korean.

That said, when I listen to Asian music, it's usually in the rock/prog/punk genre.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Sep 24 2012, 09:39 PM)
I think Asian pop music is generally better, the beats are better, the lyrics aren't shit, a little bright and poppy music is good for the soul. None of that LMFAO "get drunk, party and f**k" bullshit.

SNSD is good too. They're Korean as well, 9 girl super group who sing in English, Japanese, and Korean.

That said, when I listen to Asian music, it's usually in the rock/prog/punk genre.

I like Asian pop better because I can't understand what their singing about. The second I read the translation I hurl in my mouth - the song is defiled and I'll never listen to it again.

^ I'll watch this once in a while. Just a fun way to spend a few minutes.

And yes, this Gangnam thing is very much the Asian LMFAO shit. This is incredibly evident.

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Sep 25 2012, 12:26 AM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Sep 24 2012, 09:39 PM)

I like Asian pop better because I can't understand what their singing about. The second I read the translation I hurl in my mouth - the song is defiled and I'll never listen to it again.

^ I'll watch this once in a while. Just a fun way to spend a few minutes.

And yes, this Gangnam thing is very much the Asian LMFAO shit. This is incredibly evident.

Translations are generally shitty yes. Some of the Japanese things I listen to make NO sense in English, yet work perfectly in Japanese.

"I look at the sun while he smiles at my foot, i'll die if the wind ever stops" Shit like that.

Also, the only response I have to that video is "JAPAAANNN!!!!" With clenched fists. Hahaha. It's pretty good though.

QUOTE (Soni @ Sep 25 2012, 11:01 AM)
Just when I thought music couldn't get any worse!

I'm sorry, but ANYTHING Justin Beiber or Lady Gaga (after she quit making real music) put out is about 10 THOUSAND times worse than this.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Sep 25 2012, 12:16 PM)

I'm sorry, but ANYTHING Justin Beiber or Lady Gaga (after she quit making real music) put out is about 10 THOUSAND times worse than this.

Disagree. At least Bieber and Gaga's crimes against musical humanity have melody, and structure, and some other forms of meaningful musical aesthetic.

This Gungan Style- or whatever they call it- is just cacophony set to rhythm. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Sep 25 2012, 03:47 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Sep 25 2012, 12:16 PM)

Disagree. At least Bieber and Gaga's crimes against musical humanity have melody, and structure, and some other forms of meaningful musical aesthetic.

This Gungan Style- or whatever they call it- is just cacophony set to rhythm. 062802puke_prv.gif

If you want to play the melody game. Listen to rock and other forms of Pop from asia. Their melodies are 10 times better than western melodies. (Something the West could USE.)

This is actually not pop, but Rap (a big step from Western Rap for sure.)

I'm not saying it's the best thing ever, despite loving the shit out of it. But it's definitely not THAT bad.

Wow, funny this should be at the top here because this was brought up last night at football practice. I had NO IDEA what the kids were talking about.

2 of the guys I coach with are Filipino brothers and one of them came to practice in sunglasses yesterday. The kids said "Gangnam Style" and started doing some dance.... the coach got a kick out of it, but it finally makes sense to me laugh.gif

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 28 2012, 09:46 AM)
Wow, funny this should be at the top here because this was brought up last night at football practice. I had NO IDEA what the kids were talking about.

2 of the guys I coach with are Filipino brothers and one of them came to practice in sunglasses yesterday. The kids said "Gangnam Style" and started doing some dance.... the coach got a kick out of it, but it finally makes sense to me laugh.gif

You should've filmed the shit out of that! Hahaha! laugh.gif