Detroit kicked some serious a$$

Snaked

Just got home a little bit ago and I gotta say it was a great show.

Detroit is always fun for me since it's my hometown but tonight just had an entirely different feel to it.

First off, I had a gentleman next to me with his 12 year old twin daughters... and both girls said RUSH was their favorite band. Not their favorite because dad likes them.. but they genuinely like the boys.

SWEET!

Second... there were a LOT of younger people at the show tonight and an even higher percentage of females than even last year. In front of me was a family.. mom, dad, little girl, little boy. Mom rocked out harder than dad and she knew just about every word to every song and the little girl was probably more into the show than the boy... although he was taking pictures and video most of the night.

Third... behind me was a guy just like me.. singing (badly) all the lyrics and having a great time.

In reality, the entire general area right around me was awesome. Lots of noise, lots of energy.

I was 5th row directly in front of Geddy and the boys seemed to be having a lot of fun tonight.. oh.. and the strings were even better than in Manchester.

We got the same modified B setlist as Indy although I hear there is another change up coming at some point.

What a fun night.. now I gotta catch up on some sleep!

Edited by Digital Man

OMG what a great show!! I started out in row 21, switched with someone in row 20 (and ended up next to ladirushfan80 biggrin.gif), and slowly kept moving forward in the aisle and for the last 5-6 songs I was in row 8! My view was so good I couldn't believe it! I was singing along with every word, which impressed some of the boys next to me, and the crowd was energized like crazy!

I can't wait to see them again on Thursday!

Thirded. Its Rush, they are 60, it was awesome. I really didn't think I'd ever see them live again after S&A 2008. At least not playing that well. Dead wrong man. The set list might not be as strong as some would like, but its still great stuff. Some people I'm sure left the show wishing for more classics, and I'll be honest it could have used one or two in a couple spots just to keep the crowd engaged.

Although the crowds reaction may depend on where you were sitting. From my seat in the back it was clear the people closest were enjoying the show immensely. As they always do.

The first 4 songs drew great reactions, along with the classic Analog Kid. Otherwise the first set kind of petered out, as far as the crowd goes. Far Cry was well done, I loved it. Never thought I'd hear Force Ten or Big Money live again or Grand Designs, Territories and The Pass live ever.

The Clockwork Angels stuff was just amazing live. Powerful, up-temo and they played it all about as perfect as you can live. I couldn't tell if people were bored during the CA part or if they were just mesmerized by how incredible it sounded. I'll go with mesmerized. Clockwork Angels, Anarchist, Carnies all drew great responses but Headlong Flight was nearly the biggest ovation of the night and it was incredible live. Just WOW. The strings really added something to that whole section of the show.

Finishing the show with YYZ, Working Man, Tom Sawyer and 2112 was strong. But I honestly never thought I'd see a Rush show without Freewill or The Spirit of Radio. Only these guys can get away with that.

Great night, made better by having our tickets upgraded from the upper level to midway in the lower bowl as The Palace tried to compress the crowd into a smaller area.

Awesome show, would be glad to go again if I could.

1022.gif

QUOTE (usscarrera73 @ Sep 19 2012, 12:34 AM)
No modifications, just wish they switched Working Man for Spirt of Radio, that would've gotten an already pumped crowed even more crazy

Yeah I was a little disappointed with that, but the crowd was still fired up! Even during the CA material, people were loud, cheering and clapping, and I hardly saw anyone go for a pee break biggrin.gif

This crowd was at least 10x better than the crowd in Toledo last year. I loved every minute of it

Also, I'd say the arena was about 3/4 full. Some people got their seats upgraded. My friends got an amazing deal; they bought the cheapest tickets and got their seats upgraded to section 102, which were the $90 tickets! I wasn't too much closer to the stage than they were. They lucked out big time

I was glad to see the CA material received so well by the crowd. It would be a tie between Anarchist and Headlong for which one had the best reaction, it seemed the crowd just exploded in applause and cheers which was wonderful. I was so glad to see The Pass, Force Ten and even Territories live, I wouldn't have thought i'd be able to see that in my lifetime. As for the upgraded seats that was a big bonus, upper bowl to lower bowl was a win!

Sounds like they are really having some great shows. Chicago Saturday night was up there with one of the best shows I have ever seen by them! R30 is still way up there!

Looking forward to Toronto!

2.gif

Edited by tripdad

HELL YEAH THE SHOW ROCKED!!!! CA really came to life. I'm so glad I went all out to get the premo floor seats. So many HOLY S$&@ moments at the show. I also had a great time at the preshow meet up. It was also my friends first Rush show. Can't effin wait for the Toronto shows!

Awesome show. The only downside side is my son who was with me (age 10 1/2) couldn't quite stick it out all the way, and we had to bail after Dreamline ended. It was well past his bedtime then and I think the noise for 2 1/2 hours, even with earplugs got to be overwhelming. So he regretably missed Tom Sawyer and 2112, though I've seen them before numerous times.

The CA material sounded great and the strings were much more prominent than I anticipated. Headlong Flight kicked butt from beginning to end. It was sweet hearing Middletown Dreams (my favorite on Power Windows) live for the first time. And that guitar solo on The Analog Kid - holy smokes.

QUOTE (sundog @ Sep 19 2012, 06:32 AM)
***Title need to be updated with ****SPOILERS****

I was at this show last night, but there are some still waiting to be surprised at their 1st show of this tour....
Just remember to be respectful.

~carry on....

The whole "On The Lighted Stage" section is designated as *spoiler* so I don't why its necessary to be redundant. I think its kind of expected. huh.gif

A few hours later, still letting it sink in. Still feel blessed just to still be hearing new Rush music and see them performing so well this late in their careers.

How the heck do three guys make such loud, flawless noise.

QUOTE (Snaked @ Sep 18 2012, 11:46 PM)
I was 5th row directly in front of Geddy and the boys seemed to be having a lot of fun tonight.. oh.. and the strings were even better than in Manchester.

Sweet show!

Snake, it sounds like you were 2 rows directly behind me. I sang and danced like a crazy woman...maybe you saw me? common001.gif

The addition of the strings onstage was amazing and beautiful for all the CA songs as well as a few "standards". I also liked how Ged and Al would interact with them. What a sweet gig for those string players!

The only thing I would have liked was a little more fun and banter between Ged and Al onstage.

Is it just me, or does it seem like this tour is rocking harder than S&A?

Alex told a story or joke, but I couldn't hear any of it. Anyone catch what he said?

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Sep 19 2012, 01:53 AM)
Also, I'd say the arena was about 3/4 full. Some people got their seats upgraded. My friends got an amazing deal; they bought the cheapest tickets and got their seats upgraded to section 102, which were the $90 tickets! I wasn't too much closer to the stage than they were. They lucked out big time

biggrin.gif !!!!

Truly a treat to meet you my dear!

We were surrounded by guys who were quite impressed a *female* knew all the songs!! sarcasm.gif

ha ha ha

Fabulous show. It was my BF's first RUSH concert and he LOVED it !! So that was awesome to share that with him. smile.gif

Good to see some froods i haven't seen in a while :waves:

Incredible setlist, so glad I did not peek. The first set was full of the obscure tunes I never thought I would hear from PoW. I did not miss the standards at all, though plenty of newbies were wondering what songs they were playing in Set 1 (a great set for completists). The addition of the strings was a great idea. The orchestra was fun to watch and really were into the tunes and rocking the cello and violins. Great to see LRF80 and a few Rushians that I've seen over the years and up front. The Rush Doctor was in the house!!!! Looking forward to Cleveland in a month and a half. It was an adrenaline RUSH. My favorites were The Anarchist 1022.gif and YYZ. Alex was concentrating super hard on getting the new songs right. He totally loosened up and was goofing off during Tom Sawyer. My buddy two seats over caught a T-shirt from Alex and two picks flew right by me, maybe next time. Wooooooo! P.S. Thanks to Rush fanclub pre-sale, again! 2.gif