All songs sound "heavier" live....???

spineguru

I was wondering if people agreed with something i have been thinking with all the complaining about the synth era stuff being played.... In my experience, the live versions of these songs are heavier than the album version. I, like many people here, like the 70s era best, but I have all their albums and like pretty much everything. But, I really LOVE almost everything live. I think that may be because it sounds heavier in concert, and there is less difference between the old and the new in the live setting. Thoughts? I have not seen this tour yet. I will see then in San Antonio all the way near the end (11/30), but forget whether you like or dislike the set list, how does it sound?

QUOTE (GorillaStrangiato @ Sep 18 2012, 07:41 PM)
maybe because a lot of it is a half step down tuning?

In the current setlist, the only song that's down tuned as far as I could tell was 2112.

On the Snakes and Arrows tour, Circumstances was also down tuned, but those are the only examples I know of.

QUOTE (spineguru @ Sep 18 2012, 08:24 PM)
I was wondering if people agreed with something i have been thinking with all the complaining about the synth era stuff being played.... In my experience, the live versions of these songs are heavier than the album version. I, like many people here, like the 70s era best, but I have all their albums and like pretty much everything. But, I really LOVE almost everything live. I think that may be because it sounds heavier in concert, and there is less difference between the old and the new in the live setting. Thoughts? I have not seen this tour yet. I will see then in San Antonio all the way near the end (11/30), but forget whether you like or dislike the set list, how does it sound?

Totally agree with you on this. The 80s synth era is not my favorite either. I don't dislike it....it's just not my favorite. But, I knew going in to the show that the synth stuff they performed would have that "live edge" to it. For example, on the Time Machine Tour, "Marathon" was a standout song in the set....very powerful. Well, the 80s material on this tour has that same bit of "balls" added to it. The songs sound great IMO.

I think that happens with all rock bands. A live, raw guitar always sounds heavier than an overpolished studio album. Big Money sounds WAY better in the live videos I've seen so far because of these factors, especially that you can hear the guitar.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 18 2012, 10:44 PM)
All the songs from the 80s have been heavier sounding since the Vapor Trails tour because Alex realized that Gibson and Fender guitars beat the living shit out of those plastic toys he was playing previously.

Probably more Gibson than Fender here, but sure it's a different vibe than PRS. Alex is also using heavier amp sounds to go along with this. It all adds up to a big big sound. cool.gif

QUOTE (mk2112 @ Sep 19 2012, 12:11 AM)
just out of interest how do you know which songs have been taken down a semitone?
Has it been mentioned in interviews?

Nothing except 2112, and it's tuned down a full step, not a half step.

Of course those 80s songs are going to sound heavier now. Those albums were recorded to sound like 80s albums. You know what I mean, kind of that thin overproduced sound, guitars kept in check since it just wasnt in style then.

When they play them now Alex is playing with a normal live distortion, and Geddy's playing style is VERY different now than it was in the 80s. In the 80s he bailed on his old powerful attack just abusing the strings, in favor of a more lighter, tightly controlled jazz style.

But when back to the heavier attack with Counterparts and it hasnt changed since, so when he plays those songs now even the bass is much stronger live than it was on those albums.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 19 2012, 10:29 AM)
Of course those 80s songs are going to sound heavier now. Those albums were recorded to sound like 80s albums. You know what I mean, kind of that thin overproduced sound, guitars kept in check since it just wasnt in style then.

When they play them now Alex is playing with a normal live distortion, and Geddy's playing style is VERY different now than it was in the 80s. In the 80s he bailed on his old powerful attack just abusing the strings, in favor of a more lighter, tightly controlled jazz style.

But when back to the heavier attack with Counterparts and it hasnt changed since, so when he plays those songs now even the bass is much stronger live than it was on those albums.

What you said about Geddy's playing is true. Add that to him using a Jazz as opposed to the Wahl bass along with the amount of distortion he adds to his sound now, everything has a heavier sound. I really became aware of this first when they pulled out Natural Science on the Vapor Trails tour. It sounded like a song done by a modern metal band with the new sound.

Edited by professornutbudder

I would agree that all songs are heavier in concert. Gooing back and listening to Show of Hands and GUP Live - even those are heavier.

Listen to Rush in Rio - Big Money was very heavy there.

Presto from Time Machine - HELLO (absolutely LOVE that song)

But you can go to just about any concert, and the guitars will have a bit more distortion, drummers generally open the hi-hatts more, etc. Prime example - Springsteen. Much harder/heavier in concert than the studio recording.

I think a large part of that is the band gets into it more when they play them live. I know I did when my band gigged. We all wanted to "go to 11". That's right - pullling a Spinal Tap reference!

Edited by GotPeart

I think that it is more the sound of the amps than the guitars. Gallien Krueger solis state amps were very thin sounding. You could not get a thick heavy sound out of them.

All the songs from the 80s have been heavier sounding since the Vapor Trails tour because Alex realized that Gibson and Fender guitars beat the living shit out of those plastic toys he was playing previously.

AlexFinal.gif

watch it there buddy...PRS makes one hell of a guitar.

no matter what guitar he uses, he still sounds like lerxt!! AlexFinal.gif

QUOTE (Don'tMeetInBars @ Sep 19 2012, 06:03 AM)

Probably more Gibson than Fender here, but sure it's a different vibe than PRS. Alex is also using heavier amp sounds to go along with this. It all adds up to a big big sound. cool.gif

no, no, no.

his amps now are more sophisticated sounding, but not heavier. when he used marshall amps on T4E- there was a thicker amp sound.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Sep 19 2012, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (Don'tMeetInBars @ Sep 19 2012, 06:03 AM)

no, no, no.

his amps now are more sophisticated sounding, but not heavier. when he used marshall amps on T4E- there was a thicker amp sound.

Yes yes yes.

Gibson plus heavier amp sounds is a big combination. Alex was using alot more gain in the 90's (ie heavier), but it still had that midrangey PRS sound. Now it's just bigger overall. More lows to the point folks are saying he's drop tuned. confused13.gif

Plus a Marshall 30th and a Marshall Jubilee clone are two very different things. cool.gif