Are you sure you want to meet your heros?

Thunder Bay Rush

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After meeting Michael Dorn (jackass), I'm not sure I would want to have a scripted meeting with them. However, since meet and greets are just "hi", "smile for the picture", "nice meeting you". I most absolutely want this. The photo I have with Stan Lee brings back awesome memories of Comic Con and everything leading up to it. A photo with Rush would likely flood my mind with images of the concert and awesomeness in general.

So, YES I would absolutely be extremely grateful/enthusiastic for an opportunity to meet with Rush via meet and greet even if (and I emphasize if) they are not the most responsive to fans, because I wouldn't really know it.

Man....I'd love to just get the picture with Alex and Geddy!! That's something I've been trying to accomplish unsuccessfully since the Vapor Trails tour....

As for other celebrities, I've met more than a few... Especially when I was a full time musician in the 90's. All have been very pleasant experiences. At the same time, I've never come off as some raving fan either. I'm just some dude....

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Sep 24 2012, 08:12 PM)
I don't understand why people want to meet them. confused13.gif

They are not my heroes like that - like a childs hero. I just love the music.

Well, I would meet practically anyone on this board...and none of you guys are my heroes [i wouldn't really call anyone in Rush my "heroes" either]. Shouldn't you meet someone new just for the sheer experience of meeting someone new? That's what I think anyway.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 21 2012, 08:27 AM)
QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Sep 21 2012, 10:13 PM)
Many years ago, my mom had shoulder surgery and was going to a clinic for physical therapy afterwards.  As the days went by, she began talking with a polite, gentlemanly, and TALL guy from Nigeria who was also doing some therapy at the same clinic.  She had no idea he was Hakeem Olajuwon of the Houston Rockets until I guess a couple weeks in, she finally asked him what he did for a living.  They had a good chuckle over that.  smile.gif

laugh.gif

Olajuwon always did seem like a decent guy in interviews.

Funny Olajuwon story. Some friends of mine in law school (U of H) took a break from the grind by going down to Galveston early one Saturday morning. This was in '95 or so. They popped into a convenience store for something, and the lady of the couple was in line to buy behind a very tall man buying a pad of paper and a pen. She felt like he was familiar, but not being a sports fan, couldn't place him. She went over to boyfriend who was at the magazine rack, and said "Honey, should I know him?" He takes one look, and is all "OMG! It's Hakeem! OMG! OMG!"

Turns out Olajuwon had been passing by when a group of kids asked for his autograph. But none of them had pen or paper. So he actually went in to this little store and bought pen and paper so he could sign autographs for them!

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 28 2012, 07:37 AM)
QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Sep 24 2012, 08:12 PM)
I don't understand why people want to meet them.  confused13.gif

They are not my heroes like that - like a childs hero. I just love the music.

Well, I would meet practically anyone on this board...and none of you guys are my heroes [i wouldn't really call anyone in Rush my "heroes" either]. Shouldn't you meet someone new just for the sheer experience of meeting someone new? That's what I think anyway.

You'll always be my hero Johnny and I know you won't let me down when we meet.

The only music "star" I got to "meet" was Bono. War tour at a KC concert. He's on stage and points in our direction on the first level stage left. Then he grabs a wireless microphone and a big white flag on a pole. He jumps off the stage onto the first level walkway and starts making his way towards us. Of course everyone starts standing up and making it hard to see but you can still see his course due to the white flag flying high above him.

He then proceeds to turn up the steps towards our seats and making his way up the stairs. We had seats right on the isle so of course everyone is going crazy and he comes right to my seat and steps up on it to grab the support pole to the second balcony. (which was right behind my seat) He starts climbing the pole and we start pushing on his ass trying to boost him up. My wife and I had a hand on each of his leather-pants clad cheeks pushing him up this pole!

He climbed onto the balcony railing while an assistant brought the flag and mic around from behind by going up the inside stairs. He sat there and sang the rest of the song about 10 feet right above us while we looked up with our mouths open and jaws on the floor.

So, I didn't get to "meet" Bono but I did get to grab his ass. LOL (I'm not gay but it's not like there's anything wrong with that. biggrin.gif )

Neil Peart, while not necessarily a meet and greet type, is actually rather nice in person, assuming you don't go all spaz on him. He's just a guy that happens to play drums, seriously, that's all he see himself as. I believe he's more interested in the fact that you've read his books then the fact that he's a world class drummer.

E

Edited by Eric2112

QUOTE (Eric2112 @ Sep 28 2012, 02:52 PM)
Neil Peart, while not necessarily a meet and greet type, is actually rather nice in person, assuming you don't go all spaz on him. He's just a guy that happens to play drums, seriously, that's all he see himself as. I believe he's more interested in the fact that you've read his books then the fact that he's a world class drummer.

E

yes.gif Absolutely!

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Sep 18 2012, 05:38 PM)
I like Neil's take on it. Neil said he loved Keith Moon, but would never have dreamed of meeting him.

It was his lame attempt at using reverse psychology on his fans. You can bet Neil would've licked Keith Moon's personal drumsticks clean back in his "starving artist" days.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 29 2012, 11:51 AM)
QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Sep 18 2012, 05:38 PM)
I like Neil's take on it.  Neil said he loved Keith Moon, but would never have dreamed of meeting him.

It was his lame attempt at using reverse psychology on his fans. You can bet Neil would've licked Keith Moon's personal drumsticks clean back in his "starving artist" days.

Really? That is a pretty jaded attitude. I'm quite confident there is no Baldrick assisting him with his cunning plan of reverse psychology on all of his fans who he hopes will come licking his drumsticks. I think that is Neil being genuinely Neil.

My perception of his temperament is that it is virtually identical to my father's: very private, mild, a little socially awkward, a deep thinker, uncomfortable with adoration. I think those qualities make him appear very grounded and genuine. I mention my father because he watched BTLS (unbeknownst to me) and later mentioned to me how strongly he identified with Neil. Upon reflection, I can see why he made that connection and it actually gave me insight into my father.

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Sep 29 2012, 01:10 PM)

My perception of his temperament is that it is virtually identical to my father's: very private, mild, a little socially awkward, a deep thinker, uncomfortable with adoration.

Cool that you know your dad that well!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Sep 29 2012, 06:42 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Sep 29 2012, 01:10 PM)

My perception of his temperament is that it is virtually identical to my father's: very private, mild, a little socially awkward, a deep thinker, uncomfortable with adoration.

Cool that you know your dad that well!

trink39.gif

Thanks. smile.gif I feel lucky.

trink39.gif