Meet and Greet

Janie

Yeah, that's sorta what I've heard. The "meet and greet" is literally "hi" and "thanks," these days. Kiss sold their meet and greet packages, and also had a much bigger group of people who only had access to the photo op thru contests, industry contacts, etc.

QUOTE (HalfwayToGone @ Sep 23 2012, 10:56 AM)
On the opposite end of this, I just went to see KISS two nights ago, and had a meet and greet package (which cost half of what's posted above), and we were treated to a private pre-show acoustic set w/requests, the band tried getting a couple of audience members to sing lead vocals on a couple of songs, and they did an autograph signing at the end. Then later, after they were in full costume and make-up they did the photo op thing before going onstage for the full-blown concert. My friend and I had our minds blown by the whole thing. It was crazy. The weird thing was that Motley Crue was the other band, and we literally saw only around 5-10 minutes of their show, and it was like, "oh, there's Motley Crue, OK, lets go get our buzz on and get photographed w/KISS." I'm still juiced about the whole thing, it was so great.

I'm hoping to do the meet and greet in Newark, and would be happy if it were something like when I met them in '94 where they mingled with a small group of people privately, and schmoozed a little with folks, rather than just being cranked thru a line, like a machine gun. It's looking like they haven't posted any photo updates since 9/11--they must be having some issue with their gear or internet access, or they switched to a different site for the rest of the tour.

Now if Rush did this, it would be amazing!

Am I the only one who thinks these kind of things are grossly unfair? I guess if you win a contest that's cool, but mostly it seems you have to know someone who gets you in. I wouldn't want to take away anyone's happiness or great experience, but it kind of sucks for everyone else.

I like record store signings (not like I've been to one in decades, mind you) - you wait in line and everyone gets a chance to meet the person, even if it's brief.

I don't know if it's grossly unfair, but it's sort of unfair. The KISS thing was a VIP Nation package, so that was as fair as any ticket grab. The Rush thing, not so much. Get really lucky, know someone highly placed or pay way too much.

I have told my story in the past about how I was lucky enough to get a meet and greet..twice. I can tell you this, I do Not know anyone with the band, radio or won them. My story may be unique but I was just lucky.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 24 2012, 05:28 AM)
Am I the only one who thinks these kind of things are grossly unfair? I guess if you win a contest that's cool, but mostly it seems you have to know someone who gets you in. I wouldn't want to take away anyone's happiness or great experience, but it kind of sucks for everyone else.

No. You're not.

On the opposite end of this, I just went to see KISS two nights ago, and had a meet and greet package (which cost half of what's posted above), and we were treated to a private pre-show acoustic set w/requests, the band tried getting a couple of audience members to sing lead vocals on a couple of songs, and they did an autograph signing at the end. Then later, after they were in full costume and make-up they did the photo op thing before going onstage for the full-blown concert. My friend and I had our minds blown by the whole thing. It was crazy. The weird thing was that Motley Crue was the other band, and we literally saw only around 5-10 minutes of their show, and it was like, "oh, there's Motley Crue, OK, lets go get our buzz on and get photographed w/KISS." I'm still juiced about the whole thing, it was so great.

I'm hoping to do the meet and greet in Newark, and would be happy if it were something like when I met them in '94 where they mingled with a small group of people privately, and schmoozed a little with folks, rather than just being cranked thru a line, like a machine gun. It's looking like they haven't posted any photo updates since 9/11--they must be having some issue with their gear or internet access, or they switched to a different site for the rest of the tour.

It's also 1/2 of KISS laugh.gif

There's no way I would pay that to meet Paul Gene and the 2scabs!

QUOTE (chemistry @ Sep 24 2012, 05:50 PM)
On the opposite end of this, I just went to see KISS two nights ago, and had a meet and greet package (which cost half of what's posted above), and we were treated to a private pre-show acoustic set w/requests, the band tried getting a couple of audience members to sing lead vocals on a couple of songs, and they did an autograph signing at the end.  Then later, after they were in full costume and make-up they did the photo op thing before going onstage for the full-blown concert.  My friend and I had our minds blown by the whole thing.  It was crazy.  The weird thing was that Motley Crue was the other band, and we literally saw only around 5-10 minutes of their show, and it was like, "oh, there's Motley Crue, OK, lets go get our buzz on and get photographed w/KISS."  I'm still juiced about the whole thing, it was so great.

I'm hoping to do the meet and greet in Newark, and would be happy if it were something like when I met them in '94 where they mingled with a small group of people privately, and schmoozed a little with folks, rather than just being cranked thru a line, like a machine gun.  It's looking like they haven't posted any photo updates since 9/11--they must be having some issue with their gear or internet access, or they switched to a different site for the rest of the tour.

It's also 1/2 of KISS laugh.gif

There's no way I would pay that to meet Paul Gene and the 2scabs!

I met Kiss many years ago at a record store signing... but it was the Lick It Up version of the band with Vinnie Vincent and Eric Carr and no makeup. Of course I would have MUCH rather met Ace Frehley and Peter Criss, but at least they weren't guys dressed up as them - that would profoundly suck. I'm still a fan of old school Kiss, but them having guys dressing as Ace and Peter is pathetic.

QUOTE (glennb2112 @ Sep 24 2012, 11:58 PM)
I have told my story in the past about how I was lucky enough to get a meet and greet..twice. I can tell you this, I do Not know anyone with the band, radio or won them. My story may be unique but I was just lucky.

Yeah, your story is definitely an exception to the "rule." I agree with what goobs said above.