String section yes or no?

baldwin2112

I have to say I am not a fan of the string section. They are distracting, especially when they are not playing and just standing there bobbing their heads up and down to the music. At least they should move them to the side of the stage instead of front and center. How do others feel about it who have seen them so far?

You are less focused than squirrels if you are distracted by the string section in the back. lol..(Demitri Martin reference)

Personally, I love the strings. They've always been my favorite instruments, so they add to the music A LOT. And seeing them in the back jamming to the music anticipates me to hear them play again.

I LOVED them. I knew there were rumors of the boys having a string section, but since I avoid spoilers, I didn't know for sure.

Apparently they take their spot as the Caravan video starts and the build-up occurs, but I didn't see them. So when Caravan kicked in full force and the lights went on them rocking out, it was AWESOME. The crowd popped huge, too, when they appeared.

I mean, the strings playing the main riff of YYZ and then augmenting in the background during the bridge section before the little breakdowns? C'mon!

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Sep 16 2012, 03:15 PM)
You are less focused than squirrels if you are distracted by the string section in the back. lol..(Demitri Martin reference)

Personally, I love the strings. They've always been my favorite instruments, so they add to the music A LOT. And seeing them in the back jamming to the music anticipates me to hear them play again.

Demitri Martin is hilarious. Any Christian Finnegan, Louis Katz, or John Mulaney fans out here on TRF? laugh.gif

Neil Peart "Many Moons Ago" Book Release Interview with Maxime Guillaume

(Excerpt taken from The Digital Drummer, December 21, 2027):

"When you look back on your career with Rush, were there any regrets you had during your days of touring?"

"Ah, well,...yes (pauses momentarily). I distinctly remember a considerably disturbing faux pas we had decided on back in the Summer of 2012, for the 8th leg of the Clockwork Angels Tour. We, ahem, I... came up with the not-so-brilliant idea to employ a strings section for this tour. Quite frankly, we were running out of novelties to utilize that would allow us to enhance a long running show- in a fashion much like how a Dung Beetle rolls a sphere of faecal matter, accumulating random "accoutrements" onto the sphere, if you will. We had considered the unplugged theme of the 90's, but felt this would force us to play most of our best material from the 70's.. and Bubba wasn't having any of that!(laughs). So, it eventually dawns on me that despite my being horrified by the idea of a strings section many years ago, it seemed like a great idea at the time to enhance the droning character of the new album. It also dawned on me that it would be quite economically feasable to simply hire a group of aging musician hippies, throw on some cheap black t-shirts with a white alchemy symbol and let them stand in the dead area behind me. I thought to myself in my perceived moment of brilliance: "I can't stop thinking big", downed another The Macallan and high-fived my male wet-nurse, Michael (Neil explains the jovial banter the two have among each other).

So, many years later, after finally seeing video of those "orchestral" shows on YouTube, I felt the creeping shadow of terror and remorse fall onto me seeing the images of head-banging scruffy, balding and white-haired group of unkempt men of differing heights loitering behind me. It felt like a bad dream, to be honest...a nightmare. I still can't understand what in God's name I was thinking at the time...perhaps a bad combination of Macallan and pertness? (winks). If I could jump into a time machine and change the way we did things this travesty would be on the top of the list. I now realize this atrocity had no business whatsoever in being associated with Rush and greatly pains me to say it was a clear oversight on my part. But, it is what it is and I'm so thankful to God for the wonderful things and experiences in my life with Rush, past and present.

Oops- and then there's the issue of the African hat.. let's save that eye-full-of-sore for the next interview!" (laughs and smiles intensely)

@copyright TheDigitalDrummer.com

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 16 2012, 04:58 PM)

"When you look back on your career with Rush, were there any regrets you had during your days of touring?"

"Ah, well,...yes (pauses momentarily). I distinctly remember a considerably disturbing faux pas we had decided on back in the Summer of 2012, for the 8th leg of the Clockwork Angels Tour. We, ahem, I... came up with the not-so-brilliant idea to employ a strings section for this tour. Quite frankly, we were running out of novelties to utilize that would allow us to enhance a long running show- in a fashion much like how a Dung Beetle rolls a sphere of faecal matter, accumulating random "accoutrements" onto the sphere, if you will. We had considered the unplugged theme of the 90's, but felt this would force us to play most of our best material from the 70's.. and Bubba wasn't having any of that!(laughs). So, it eventually dawns on me that despite my being horrified by the idea of a strings section many years ago, it seemed like a great idea at the time to enhance the droning character of the new album. It also dawned on me that it would be quite economically feasable to simply hire a group of aging musician hippies, throw on some cheap black t-shirts with a white alchemy symbol and let them stand in the dead area behind me. I thought to myself in my perceived moment of brilliance: "I can't stop thinking big", downed another The Macallan and high-fived my male wet-nurse, Michael (Neil explains the jovial banter the two have among each other).
So, many years later, after finally seeing video of those "orchestral" shows on YouTube, I felt the creeping shadow of terror and remorse fall onto me seeing the images of head-banging scruffy, balding and white-haired group of unkempt men of differing heights loitering behind me. It felt like a bad dream, to be honest...a nightmare. I still can't understand what in God's name I was thinking at the time...perhaps a bad combination of Macallan and pertness? (winks). If I could jump into a time machine and change the way we did things this travesty would be on the top of the list. I now realize this atrocity had no business whatsoever in being associated with Rush and greatly pains me to say it was a clear oversight on my part. But, it is what it is and I'm so thankful to God for the wonderful things and experiences in my life with Rush, past and present.

Oops- and then there's the issue of the African hat.. let's save that eye-full-of-sore for the next interview!" (laughs and smiles intensely)

That was so funny I almost jumped out my window.. unsure.gif

QUOTE (baldwin2112 @ Sep 16 2012, 05:12 PM)
I have to say I am not a fan of the string section. They are distracting, especially when they are not playing and just standing there bobbing their heads up and down to the music. At least they should move them to the side of the stage instead of front and center. How do others feel about it who have seen them so far?

Front and center?

They're BEHIND the backline gear.

They are positioned extremely well IMO.

If you don't want to see them just adjust your eye level and they're out of the line of sight.

That was so GD funny that I think a little bit of pee actually did come out...

rofl3.gif

This little excerpt proves you're no tombstone mountain. tongue.gif

Yes, we greatly enjoyed the strings. We also wonder if they are enlisted by city or are they traveling with the tour. I assume the former. They weren't really challenging passages and they had the music to play to.

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Sep 16 2012, 08:49 PM)
Love the strings and i think they need to turn their volume up ASAP! They seem pretty low in the mix on most songs i seen on youtube. I want to hear them loud and clear when they play in NJ-NY.

I felt that way about their volume at times too. Overall I enjoyed the strings, though I was distracted at times by how hard the dude playing violin on the far stage right side. He was seriously rocking out...bobbing and weaving, his bright white hair shaking wildly, he at times kept me from keeping my eyes glued on Neil playing biggrin.gif

laugh.gif That is awesome!!))

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 16 2012, 06:50 PM)

This little excerpt proves you're no tombstone mountain. tongue.gif

Got that right! Gemini's was actually pretty funny. laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 16 2012, 05:58 PM)

laugh.gif

That's more like it! Well done on actually putting some effort into it this time wink.gif

Quite frankly, we were running out of novelties to utilize that would allow us to enhance a long running show- in a fashion much like how a Dung Beetle rolls a sphere of faecal matter, accumulating random "accoutrements" onto the sphere, if you will. We had considered the unplugged theme of the 90's, but felt this would force us to play most of our best material from the 70's.. and Bubba wasn't having any of that!(laughs).

applaudit.gif

thats some funny shit there bro.. 1022.gif

I liked the idea, but seriously, couldn't they have hired some smoking hot chicks for the strings? We all know that 2.gif shows are generally a sausage fest so some hot chicks would have been nice!

tongue.gif

Loved 'em.

They weren't really front and center, more back and center, behind Neil, at least in Pittsburgh.

They added a richness and depth to the songs. Only wish I had heard them on more than I did.

I wonder how they didn't get turned into charcoal briquets by some of the pyrotechnics, however.

Edited by BriGuy