Power Windows (Spoilers)

pdurbin22

By far the biggest surprise of this setlist is the sheer amount of "Power Windows" material. It was never a big shock to hear 4-5 songs from "Moving Pictures" (side 1 plays like a greatest hits) and I knew that we'd probably hear "Manhattan Project" given the string arrangement, but the fact that every audience on this tour has gotten 4 songs from PW (with 5 rehearsed that we know of) really blew me away.

Anybody hear any statements from the band professing a rediscovered love of this album?

Personally I could've done without "Grand Designs" and "Territories" in favor of something from the many albums they ignored (and I could've done without "Body Electric" which I always felt was the weakest song on GUP), but I really respect their digging into their back catalog and not feeling like they 'couldn't' play that much from a non-new album.

there is quite a bit as you say.

did i read correctly there is a dude backstage playing keys? i could be way off on that one. can anyone confirm or confirm i am wrong.

anyways if thats true perhaps he was brought to some the keys on the CA and they figured that hey, since you are back there lets put your ass to work.

this is an area that has always been a little unclear to me. they did have keys help on PW? i am pretty sure about that but what i have always wondered is who wrote the killers keys section in middletown dreams. was it ged or the guest player.

Rush has NEVER had anyone else playing keys, triggering parts, or helping the music otherwise from backstage at ANY point in their career, and they never will. It is one thing they all pride themselves on immensely.

QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Sep 16 2012, 02:31 PM)
Rush has NEVER had anyone else playing keys, triggering parts, or helping the music otherwise from backstage at ANY point in their career, and they never will. It is one thing they all pride themselves on immensely.

ok can you shed any light on how much andy richards and other guy brought in to play keys actually did or contributed to the recording of power windows?

I'm not sure about how much outside contribution happened on the recording, but that isn't too uncommon for Rush. They have had quite a few extra helping hands recording their albums from time to time. What I was only saying was that when they play live, everything is played/triggered on stage by either Ged Neil or Alex.

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 16 2012, 02:38 PM)

ok can you shed any light on how much andy richards and other guy brought in to play keys actually did or contributed to the recording of power windows?

If you read the interviews from the time period of PoW posted on cygnusx-1.net, Geddy says that most of the stuff Andy Richards came up with were really just different "versions" of stuff be was doing. Seemed to me he mostly helped with programming.

As for another keyboard player "hiding in the back", that's not going to happen. As stated above, they seem to really pride themselves on their ability to pull off their songs on their own. This tour, I had the best view of Alex I've had before and was amazed at how much of the keyboards he plays on his Taurus pedals. I always assumed Geddy was doing most of it.

we shouldn't really be shocked about the PW material, it's Geddy's favorite album.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Sep 16 2012, 08:29 PM)
QUOTE (MMCXII @ Sep 16 2012, 07:40 PM)
we shouldn't really be shocked about the PW material, it's Geddy's favorite album.

Yes, for whatever reason.

I think it's because it's FoS's favorite album.. oh wait ph34r.gif

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Sep 16 2012, 07:40 PM)

Exactly! I wasn't surprised either knowing that whenever asked his fav Rush albums, Geddy typically mentions 2112, MP and PoW.

QUOTE (Steely Caress @ Sep 16 2012, 10:49 PM)
Along with Geddy, I have read where Neil says power windows was one of their best records. I know he talks about this in the book contents under pressure.

Is Contents Under Pressure a good book to read to get a good history/insight into the band? Reason I ask is some jerk on another forum I visit claims I don't have much knowledge of the band (which I never claimed to have in the first place). I own and have watched Beyond The Lighted Stage a few times but of course it doesn't cover everything.

QUOTE (professornutbudder @ Sep 16 2012, 03:51 PM)

If you read the interviews from the time period of PoW posted on cygnusx-1.net, Geddy says that most of the stuff Andy Richards came up with were really just different "versions" of stuff be was doing. Seemed to me he mostly helped with programming.

As for another keyboard player "hiding in the back", that's not going to happen. As stated above, they seem to really pride themselves on their ability to pull off their songs on their own. This tour, I had the best view of Alex I've had before and was amazed at how much of the keyboards he plays on his Taurus pedals. I always assumed Geddy was doing most of it.

trink39.gif thanks i will check that out.

its just i have always been curious about the keys in MD that come just prior to the middle aged madonna section. one because that it is one of the highlights of the record for me and for some reason that section to me does not have the typical ged feel or sound to it. its bright, bouncy and funky.

QUOTE (pdurbin22 @ Sep 16 2012, 02:04 PM)
By far the biggest surprise of this setlist is the sheer amount of "Power Windows" material. It was never a big shock to hear 4-5 songs from "Moving Pictures" (side 1 plays like a greatest hits) and I knew that we'd probably hear "Manhattan Project" given the string arrangement, but the fact that every audience on this tour has gotten 4 songs from PW (with 5 rehearsed that we know of) really blew me away.

Anybody hear any statements from the band professing a rediscovered love of this album?

Personally I could've done without "Grand Designs" and "Territories" in favor of something from the many albums they ignored (and I could've done without "Body Electric" which I always felt was the weakest song on GUP), but I really respect their digging into their back catalog and not feeling like they 'couldn't' play that much from a non-new album.

From what Ive read the band always liked this album. For me personally it was when they finally got the mix of heavy synths and the rest of their instruments just right, so they must just be in the mood to play more of it. Plus outside of a couple parts here and there, the vocals arent that high so its easier for him to sing than the 70s stuff which was axed out of this tour.

QUOTE (fordgt99 @ Sep 16 2012, 11:02 PM)
Along with Geddy, I have read where Neil says power windows was one of their best records. I know he talks about this in the book contents under pressure.

Is Contents Under Pressure a good book to read to get a good history/insight into the band? Reason I ask is some jerk on another forum I visit claims I don't have much knowledge of the band (which I never claimed to have in the first place). I own and have watched Beyond The Lighted Stage a few times but of course it doesn't cover everything.

Yes, Contents Under Pressure is a good book. Go get it...

And, I also really like Power Windows. There's some heavy stuff on it. Love, love, love the guitar on Territories...

QUOTE (professornutbudder @ Sep 16 2012, 03:51 PM)

I don't think Alex is so much "playing" those keyboard parts as he is triggering them.

QUOTE (fordgt99 @ Sep 16 2012, 11:02 PM)

yes.gif

Contents Under Pressure is a GREAT book. It covers every album through VT. It will fill in a lot of blanks that the movie couldn't cover.

Yeah, I was wondering this in another thread... What's with the sudden band love for Power Windows? It's not exactly a fan favorite---it's actually kind of controversial from a controversial period of the band. I too have read that the band thinks highly of it, though. Matt from Vertical Horizon says that it is his favorite record of all time. I'm sure he has told Neil this...not that that has any bearing on the band's setlist choices (ya never know).

But, I love it and I'm glad they pulled most of these songs out of retirement. As it stands now, every Power Windows song has been played live since the band's return in 2002 except the one that was never ever played live to begin with (Emotion Detector).

MP is the only other album that even comes close to that. I find it interesting.