World's BEST drummer - Dylan Elise???

Thunder Bay Rush

Neil is my favourite drummer, no doubt. Many people believe him to be THE best rock drummer ever, but I'm not sure about that. I think at one time, sure, he probably was. But, there are a lot of unreal drummers today. Thomas Lang, Mike Portnoy, Tony Royster Jr., just to name a few.

I stumbled across this guy, Dylan Elise, from New Zealand a year or so ago. The link below is of him playing a solo when he was 16. I think he's 20 or so now... I can't honestly say I've ever seen any drummer play like this guy and at 16... that is scary! When he is 30 or 40... look out.

Any drummers on this forum care to comment on his technique?

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush

He's good. There's a lot of good drummers out there. So come one with the thread title tongue.gif

Has Dylan played with a band? Drum solos mean nothing to me honestly, I like to see how drummers can play with a band and incorporate their style into songs in the studio.

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Sep 14 2012, 10:25 PM)
He's good. There's a lot of good drummers out there. So come one with the thread title tongue.gif

Has Dylan played with a band? Drum solos mean nothing to me honestly, I like to see how drummers can play with a band and incorporate their style into songs in the studio.

goodpost.gif

Agree 100%. Neil's big solo moments at the shows are cool and all, and no doubt insanely impressive, but he's my favorite because of what he does for the Rush songs. I'm not a drummer at all, but hell, even I can see that what he does is truly unique and skillful.

I agree with all of your comments, but what I'm talking about is pure technique and skill. This guy (even when he was 16) is miles above a lot of the famous drummers. And, I'm sure he would be amazing in a prog band.

I'm not sure if he plays with any bands, and to be honest, I never hear about him. He has some home-video solos on Youtube, but other than that???

Don't be surprised if we start hearing more about him.

Dude is unreal. No drummer I've ever seen (except perhaps Virgil Donati) has pulled off shit like that. His technique is superb and his ideas are creative. Neil's good but he's not even in the same universe as this kid. Edited by GrandDesigner

OMFG! I don't believe what I'm reading... a Rush fan actually acknowledging that there is a better drummer out there than Neil? And, a 16 year old, even?

Dude, thanks!! It's nice to see someone putting mind before heart... I LOVE Neil, but, Jesus Christ - this guy is unreal.

Check out this one tOo - Tony Royster Jr., when he was 12. Same deal - stunnintechnique at - AGE 12!

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 15 2012, 08:55 AM)
OMFG! I don't believe what I'm reading... a Rush fan actually acknowledging that there is a better drummer out there than Neil? And, a 16 year old, even?

Dude, thanks!! It's nice to see someone putting mind before heart... I LOVE Neil, but, Jesus Christ - this guy is unreal.

Check out this one tOo - Tony Royster Jr., when he was 12. Same deal - stunnintechnique at - AGE 12!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPncumXZExo

Stunning technique doesnt make one a great musician. I'm not saying this kid isnt amazing, because he is ridiculously sick. But most musicians i know don't judge who they like based on technique alone.

Guys like Peart, Bonham, Gadd, Rich, Moon, etc. are legends for what they brought to the music as a whole ( songs ), not just flashy drum solos.

Using guitar players as an analogy, who would you rather have in your band, Yngwie Malmsteen or Jimmy Page?..Malmsteen obviously has technique way beyond what Page can do, but he can't write a decent song to save his life.

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Sep 14 2012, 11:25 PM)

goodpost.gif

I don't see the purpose in drum solos unless it sounds well-constructed like the ones Neil does.

Playing fast and playing loud with a lot of drummstick tricks is not necesarily playing well. I believe someone has said this: you can do the most bombastic solos ever but if you can write and play a real song, then whats the point.

Ill wait to see what this kid can do in a band, until then he is in the level of a streetclown in my book.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Sep 15 2012, 08:47 AM)
Dude is unreal. No drummer I've ever seen (except perhaps Virgil Donati) has pulled off shit like that. His technique is superb and his ideas are creative. Neil's good but he's not even in the same universe as this kid.

yes.gif

Anyone that doesn't acknowledge this kid's genius doesn't have a clue. And as far as solos go, the one posted kills. It's one of the few solos I've seen in a long long time that I've played all the way through.

Edited by goose

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Sep 15 2012, 07:26 PM)
Playing fast and playing loud with a lot of drummstick tricks is not necesarily playing well. I believe someone has said this: you can do the most bombastic solos ever but if you can write and play a real song, then whats the point.

Ill wait to see what this kid can do in a band, until then he is in the level of a streetclown in my book.

"Level of a streetclown...."

Akron, you're a true orginal. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Sep 15 2012, 02:26 PM)
Playing fast and playing loud with a lot of drummstick tricks is not necesarily playing well.

...but he is playing well....?

His grooves are complex and tasteful and his precision and accuracy is unmatched. The first clip had him playing ridiculous patterns in brushes which is a difficult skill to learn and something that most jazz drummers have in their repertoire. I'm sure he'd be incredible in any band.

I hate how people assume a drum solo not by Neil Peart is "showing off and bombastic"...it's a solo, it's supposed to be showy and over-the-top.

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 15 2012, 08:55 AM)

Haha, thanks man. I love Rush but I've always found Neil to be incredibly overrated as a drummer. Many have that mentality that 'bigger drumset = better drummer' which is not always true.

Dylan Elise is the best I've ever seen and I've been drumming for over 18 years.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Sep 15 2012, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 15 2012, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Sep 15 2012, 12:04 AM)
There is no drummer as important or influential in the world of rock as [Neil Peart]

???????

Am i lying?

cool10.gif

Edited by t2s

QUOTE (t2s @ Sep 15 2012, 06:11 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Sep 15 2012, 03:22 PM)
There is no drummer as important or influential in the world of rock as [Neil Peart]

???????

Am i lying?

cool10.gif

Beware Fanboyism.......

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 15 2012, 06:55 AM)

^ this is obvious wink.gif

stick around, many here don't see Neil is a godly drummer.

Thanks, I agree. Still, my favourite drummer, I listened to almost JUST Neil for quite a few years when I was a kid and never had my eyes opened up to other kick ass drummers. Now, with the internet - holy shit...

There's a young girl from Japan named Senri Kawaguchi. She's another unreal kid drummer. She' not at the level of Dylan Elise or Tony Royster Jr., when he was 12, but this kid is really good and she's a power hitter. She must about 85 pounds, but she beats the crap out of those drums! She's all over Youtube

About the comments of how and what a drummer does for the song, feel, etc... my post is about talent on the drums, not what a drummer does for a song or with a band... this Dylan guy is at the top of the ladder. He's better than most of the big name guys who are in their 30s and 40s. if you are a drummer, you MUST see that.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Sep 15 2012, 06:22 PM)

???????

Am i lying?

not so much "lying" as "misinformed"

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 16 2012, 01:43 PM)

???????

Am i lying?

You may have a point about Neil being influential, etc. Many young drummers started playing because of him.

But, these days, holy shit... there are serious drummers out there and young ones too.

There is a video on Youtube of Jacob Armen when he was 8. That's eight. Not eighteen. Tonight Show, 1989.

Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHOfMWxQRps&feature=fvwrel

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 17 2012, 09:18 AM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 16 2012, 01:43 PM)

???????

Am i lying?

You may have a point about Neil being influential, etc. Many young drummers started playing because of him.

But, these days, holy shit... there are serious drummers out there and young ones too.

There is a video on Youtube of Jacob Armen when he was 8. That's eight. Not eighteen. Tonight Show, 1989.

Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHOfMWxQRps&feature=fvwrel

So what's the point of this thread? I think we all are aware of young virtuosos on any instrument.

Becoming a legend has a lot to do with timing and popularity. There are a ton of players no ones ever heard of that blow some legendary guys away, but what are yah gonna do? It's just the way the business is. Ive seen guys in cover bands at Chinese restaraunts who smoke, but they are doing pat benatar covers , so no one gives a shit.