RUSH not done just yet

mmclarney

Don't be surprised at all if there is another album and tour in 2015. They obviously like what they do as I'm sure they don't need the money.

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 13 2012, 06:07 PM)
Don't be surprised at all if there is another album and tour in 2015. They obviously like what they do as I'm sure they don't need the money.

Could be. I just found Neil's comment interesting, as I have heard the boys state many times over the years that each album and subsequent tour is a year-by-year proposition, meaning they never know if their latest outing will be their last.

In contrast, Neil's statement above actually seems to indicate (to me, anyway) that they are looking forward and possibly have something planned beyond the current album and tour.

It's all speculation, of course, and nobody really knows except for Geddy, Alex and Neil. But if I had to guess, I'd say they won't just quit cold turkey unless something forces them out of the game. I would think they would treat the fans to some sort of farewell tour and go out with a bang.

From about 1985 on they have been saying that each tour or album may be their last. In an old interview they said that after they made Power Windows they decided that they were an album by album proposition. Lately they are speaking more positively, but perhaps because they don't want to slide into that 'time to end it' mentality.

I recall a fan who spoke with Ray Daniels and suggesting a 40th anniversary tour and Ray asked "have you been reading my notes". I suspect there will be something for the 40th, but then again they considered a 20th anniversary tour and then decided against it.

I suspect they will do some form of 40th anniversary tour and then one more album and tour, which won't be billed as the last, but it will be.

But I really have no idea.

QUOTE (Grover @ Sep 14 2012, 12:11 PM)
From about 1985 on they have been saying that each tour or album may be their last. In an old interview they said that after they made Power Windows they decided that they were an album by album proposition. Lately they are speaking more positively, but perhaps because they don't want to slide into that 'time to end it' mentality.

I recall a fan who spoke with Ray Daniels and suggesting a 40th anniversary tour and Ray asked "have you been reading my notes". I suspect there will be something for the 40th, but then again they considered a 20th anniversary tour and then decided against it.

I suspect they will do some form of 40th anniversary tour and then one more album and tour, which won't be billed as the last, but it will be.

I don't think that there will be an R40 tour, I do however truly believe that there will be some sort of celebration like Metallica did with their 30th.

Rush will pick a smaller venue possibly Massey Hall and play some shows over the course of the 3 or 4 days with minimal staging and effects - a lot like the Molson Club show they played back in 1996. I believe that is the plan.

Too bad, because an R40 tour would be cool. Each set could have an 7-8-minute instrumental medley (a la R30) kick it off, and perhaps another near the end, or for part of the encore. Good way to hit a lot of birds with a few stones, and without trashing Geddy's voice... then when the rest of the set plays out like this year's tour has -- which I happen to love -- no one, NO ONE, should have a reason to b***h.

QUOTE (bscsmkr @ Sep 14 2012, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (Grover @ Sep 14 2012, 12:11 PM)

I don't think that there will be an R40 tour, I do however truly believe that there will be some sort of celebration like Metallica did with their 30th.

Rush will pick a smaller venue possibly Massey Hall and play some shows over the course of the 3 or 4 days with minimal staging and effects - a lot like the Molson Club show they played back in 1996. I believe that is the plan.

Anybody here actually catch that Molson Blind Date show a few years ago? A good friend of mine won tickets and opted to take his wife (a casual Rush fan at best) instead of yours truly, something I still give him grief about to this day. What a show that must have been though. And talk about the Holy Grail of Rush bootlegs.

QUOTE (TheAnalogDad @ Sep 14 2012, 02:50 PM)
Too bad, because an R40 tour would be cool. Each set could have an 7-8-minute instrumental medley (a la R30) kick it off, and perhaps another near the end, or for part of the encore. Good way to hit a lot of birds with a few stones, and without trashing Geddy's voice... then when the rest of the set plays out like this year's tour has -- which I happen to love -- no one, NO ONE, should have a reason to b***h.

Hey, this is The Rush Forum, where people bitch about not enough bitching about Rush. laugh.gif

QUOTE (FenderJazz42 @ Sep 15 2012, 09:35 AM)
If they do tour again they have a lot of damage control to fix. There are so many people that are so disappointed that we bought expensive tickets to hear 9 or so songs off of Clockwork Angels.

Two points here:

(1) You 'disappointed' fans are in the minority.

(2) Rush don't owe you (or anyone else) a damn thing.

QUOTE (mmclarney @ Sep 15 2012, 06:00 PM)
If they do tour again they have a lot of damage control to fix. There are so many people that are so disappointed that we bought expensive tickets to hear 9 or so songs off of Clockwork Angels.

Two points here:

Rush fans have purchased 40 million of their records, less than 200k have bought Clockwork. That's a minority.

I would hope that any band knows they owe their fans everything.

QUOTE (FenderJazz42 @ Sep 16 2012, 08:40 AM)

Two points here:

Rush fans have purchased 40 million of their records, less than 200k have bought Clockwork. That's a minority.

As hard as it may be for you to believe, a lot of us fans actually love Clockwork Angels.

Looking at the setlist, I am most looking forward to that part of the show.

Also, it is called the Clockwork Angels tour. Really shouldn't shock anyone that you're getting a bug chunk of that album

Man, some of these "part time" rush fans are starting to piss me off. Just be happy that they're still touring and putting out NEW music every two or three years or so. If you don't like it, go buy some Kiss records.

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 16 2012, 09:18 AM)
Man, some of these "part time" rush fans are starting to piss me off. Just be happy that they're still touring and putting out NEW music every two or three years or so. If you don't like it, go buy some Kiss records.

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

If a " part time fan " means 30 years of being my favorite band what does it take to make it to full time ?

Noone I have talked t was disappointed. You, sir, are definitely in the minority. The show was EXCELLENT (production and setlist) and the band is at the top of their game. Ironically, I think Rush is in the minority as well, when compared to their piers - they are actually progressing as performing artists and MOST of us couldn't be happier.

Damage control??? Inconcievable!! Rush have consistently presented a HEAPING helping of new material from their new albums in recent years - this should be no surprise to anyone that is a supposed fan and has been paying attention. If you choose to sit the next tour out as a protest, I doubt you will be missed.

QUOTE (TheAnalogDad @ Sep 14 2012, 02:50 PM)

But they will.

Seems a lot of people here have turned crapping on and whining about Rush into an art form.

QUOTE (FenderJazz42 @ Sep 16 2012, 08:40 AM)

Two points here:

Unless I'm mistaken, your comment re: record sales seems to imply that the only people who want to hear CA songs live are the 200k or so who've bought the album, and that - presumably - this group is mutually exclusive from other "real" Rush fans who have bought and paid for the older stuff, and - presumably - wish to hear *only* older material when the band plays live.

Is this what you're saying? 'Cause if it is, it's horsesh*t.

In terms of what the band "owes" us, the fans, they really only owe us their gratitude and nothing else. Nobody forces us to buy their music. We do so because we get something out of it - it's a mutually beneficial relationship. The success they have attained as a result of us buying their music and seeing them perform simply allows them to keep doing what they do.

What they *don't* owe us - you in particular - is a custom designed setlist built to our specificiations.