Now I know I'm a proper fan!

L36TOS10

Hi, all, this is my first post being a very recent convert to Rush after assuming for the last 30 odd years that they were a boring prog band like Yes or King Crimson or something. I was wrong. They are a brilliant band who play glorious, life-affirming, I-have-died-and-gone-to-heaven rock music

Anyway, I've recently been watching the Snakes and Arrows DVD and found that although I loved all the individual performances the setlist lacked pacing and the show doesn't quite build up in tension and excitment as, for example, the Rio DVD does.

Then I find this forum and find you all arguing over setlists. I guess I'm a fan now!

Is there room in the world for another sad obsessive?

Edited by L36TOS10

Basically, theres 2 kind of Rush fans the ones that are fans of the band (the artist) and enjoy their art and those who are fans of 4-5 of Rush albums but claim they are as big fans as those who love more than the 4-5 albums. The fans of the 4-5 albums claim that those 4-5 albums are the only worthwhile Rush music and eveybody who loves and appreciates the rest of Rush's discography are fanboys. Thats basically it.

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Sep 13 2012, 01:56 PM)
Basically, theres 2 kind of Rush fans the ones that are fans of the band (the artist) and enjoy their art and those who are fans of 4-5 of Rush albums but claim they are as big fans as those who love more than the 4-5 albums. The fans of the 4-5 albums claim that those 4-5 albums are the only worthwhile Rush music  and eveybody who loves and appreciates the rest of Rush's discography are fanboys. Thats basically it.

Hmm! Well my recent conversion was through the live albums from Different Stages onwards via the Mirrors bootleg and currently working my way backwards through their studio recordings. I am up to Grace Under Pressure and loving it. There's no albums I dislike - so far - though like all artists they appear to have had their low points - but not many.

I guess I'm leaning towards the fanboy camp but that might change as I dig deeper.

Bear in mind I'm also a Springsteen fan so my standards are set pretty low

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Edited by L36TOS10

QUOTE (L36TOS10 @ Sep 13 2012, 07:09 PM)
...a boring prog band like Yes or King Crimson...

Steady on now ohmy.gif laugh.gif

But welcome to the Forum and to Rush fandom in general bekloppt.gif

And an extra special welcome, since you live in Sheffield, which is so very close to me trink39.gif (I'm in Huddersfield)

QUOTE (L36TOS10 @ Sep 13 2012, 02:09 PM)
Hi, all, this is my first post being a very recent convert to Rush after assuming for the last 30 odd years that they were a boring prog band like Yes or King Crimson or something. I was wrong. They are a brilliant  band who play glorious, life-affirming, I-have-died-and-gone-to-heaven rock music   

Anyway, I've recently been watching the Snakes and Arrows DVD and found that although I loved all the individual performances the setlist lacked pacing and the show doesn't quite build up in tension and excitment as, for example, the Rio DVD does. 

Then I find this forum and find you all arguing over setlists. I guess I'm a fan now!         

Is there room in the world for another sad obsessive?

L36TOS10 - his ears and his eyes open wide!

Welcome! Always room for more at the party! trink39.gif

2.gif 1022.gif

The Greatest Band in the Galaxy!