Which concert approach would you prefer?

Lost In Xanadu

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which concert approach would you prefer?

• A firm setlist, no changes from city to city.
    • A solid setlist, 2-3 songs will change on a schedule
    • A medium setlist, equal amount of set songs, regularly changing songs, random songs
    • A soft setlist, 5-6 unchanging songs with the rest anything, anytime
    • No setlist, they "hit shuffle" and just play whatever comes up

I think I would love the medium. Have a staple of songs you are going to play all the time, so they can have the video, pyro, lasers and all the things like that. Have some that will change on a schedule so people that want to have an idea before hand will kinda know what to expect and the band will be able to have that consistency. The rest of the concert totally off the cuff for those that see multiple shows, and will allow even those looking at the setlist to be a little surprised and the band will be able to take some chances.

Go for the shuffle!! No whining about the set, as it's just a roll of the bones. Imagine the possibilities:

SET 1

1 Circumstances

2 Carnies

3 Making Memories

4 Here Again

5 Prime Mover

etc

etc

And go totally improv on the lights.

Can we have a Price Is Right Wheel, or do they flash on the big screen. No Whammys, No Whammys, STOP!!

No chance in hell, but heck, it'd be fun.

Maybe, i'm lazy or something but I would prefer if the band did the same set every night. That way the fans all get the same show. Let's say you love TBE but aren't that big on Middletown Dreams, it would be a letdown for you if you got the show with Middletown instead.

I never understood why some fans want the set to change on a nightly basis? Yes, it would be cool if they busted out a different rarity every night, but if you're not there to hear it then why does it matter? Most of us are only attending one show, so it should be the same for everyone. That way nobody can bitch and say "you got the song I love last night and I got the shit one in it's place at mine".

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 13 2012, 07:04 PM)
Maybe, i'm lazy or something but I would prefer if the band did the same set every night. That way the fans all get the same show. Let's say you love TBE but aren't that big on Middletown Dreams, it would be a letdown for you if you got the show with Middletown instead.

I never understood why some fans want the set to change on a nightly basis? Yes, it would be cool if they busted out a different rarity every night, but if you're not there to hear it then why does it matter? Most of us are only attending one show, so it should be the same for everyone. That way nobody can bitch and say "you got the song I love last night and I got the shit one in it's place at mine".

Every audience is different, and some react great to certain songs and some don't. Having a more fluid setlist allows a better chance for that "magic" night to happen.

Also, many Rush fans go to multiple shows (I try and see three each time around).

Third, a changing setlist means you have a much higher chance of hearing more rarities.

Finally, many fans get bootlegs of shows, and this would make that much more interesting. At the very least, the CD at the end of the tour could be tons better. They may have to play 5+ staples every night for the casual concert goer, but those guys aren't buying the CD. The CD could be all b-sides, giving fans many, many songs they've never heard live on CD.

311 is one of my favorite groups to see live, and what they do is rehearse about 60 songs before a tour, then each night pick 20 or so to play.

The problem with this (not really a problem) is that Rush puts on BIG shows with videos, lights, pyro, all kinds of tech work.. and to randomize that would be nearly impossible for their crew and would lead to a weaker show. Also, practicing that many songs would be a nightmare for the band.

That being said, in fantasy land I'd love to be surprised from night to night with an all new set, but I think switching 4-5 songs a night would be as much as possible without sacrificing the size of a Rush show.

Maybe keep a main setlist, then leave 5 slots open for 5 of.. 10 extra songs. And decide the day before.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Sep 13 2012, 10:40 PM)
311 is one of my favorite groups to see live, and what they do is rehearse about 60 songs before a tour, then each night pick 20 or so to play.

The problem with this (not really a problem) is that Rush puts on BIG shows with videos, lights, pyro, all kinds of tech work.. and to randomize that would be nearly impossible for their crew and would lead to a weaker show. Also, practicing that many songs would be a nightmare for the band.

That being said, in fantasy land I'd love to be surprised from night to night with an all new set, but I think switching 4-5 songs a night would be as much as possible without sacrificing the size of a Rush show.

Maybe keep a main setlist, then leave 5 slots open for 5 of.. 10 extra songs. And decide the day before.

Radiohead does the same and it's cool. But you can't compare the musicianship of 311 and bands as such who switch it up to Rush. They are meticulous about the output and perfectionists about mirroring studio sound. By sticking with the set list city to city yields the best result.

I prefer a firm list, unless they find that something they brought "out of the vaults" is hitting a snag or Geddy's having trouble singing something (in which case, with so many great songs to choose from they might as well substitute).

But I'm not really big on the swapping from night-to-night deal. I could see maybe if they swap the staples they often play (besides those which they HAVE to play, like Tom Sawyer and... well, maybe that's it at this point if they're dropping TSoR). I think it sucks when they bring stuff like Manhattan Project and Body Electric out of the vaults and then you end up missing out depending on the show. Especially when they're swapping a rareity for something like Dreamline.

At least, when they've been touring as often as they have been... Otherwise I probably wouldn't care much at all and would just be happy to hear anything. But I tend to really prefer the deeper cuts in the present context (and I do really love most the '80s stuff, so...)

Edited by FarUnlitUnknown

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Sep 13 2012, 09:45 PM)
QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Sep 13 2012, 10:40 PM)

Radiohead does the same and it's cool. But you can't compare the musicianship of 311 and bands as such who switch it up to Rush. They are meticulous about the output and perfectionists about mirroring studio sound. By sticking with the set list city to city yields the best result.

You've hit on my biggest issue with live Rush: they want to reproduce the studio sound. I never want that in my concerts. I want something new and exciting. Sometimes I don't like the live version as much, sometimes I like it more. This is the reason why the All the World's a Stage is, in my opinion, a much, much better live album than Exit Stage Left, which is basically a greatest hits studio album.

Change it every night , makes people travel to more shows bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Sep 13 2012, 09:40 PM)
The problem with this (not really a problem) is that Rush puts on BIG shows with videos, lights, pyro, all kinds of tech work.. and to randomize that would be nearly impossible for their crew and would lead to a weaker show.

Not true, ask Metallica . They put on a diff show every night and their stage is f-n huge . Rush does not want to do it, plain and simple

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 14 2012, 02:12 PM)
[/quote]
Not true, ask Metallica . They put on a diff show every night and their stage is f-n huge . Rush does not want to do it, plain and simple

You brought up my point already.... Rush should be doing an idea of what Metallica does on a new album tour.... As a matter of fact I saw Metallica on their final leg in Australia on October 23rd 2010!!!

As I remember it, the show went like this

NEW SONG

NEW SONG

SHUFFLE

SHUFFLE

STAPLE

SHUFFLE

SHUFFLE

STAPLE FROM MOVING PICS/ BLACK ALBUM

SHUFFLE RARE

SHUFFLE RARE

NEW SONG

PART OF 2112/ MASTER OF PUPPETS

SHUFFLE WITH PRE-RECORDED INTRO

STAPLE FROM MOVING PICS/BLACK ALBUM

STAPLE FROM MOVING PICS/BLACK ALBUM

COVER

SHUFFLE FROM QUITE EARLY ON (first 2 albums)

STAPLE

I know 2.gif will never, ever do this but still METALLICA make a very good point of playing a vast section of their extensive back catalogue........

So yeah, if Rush where to do this, I'd love it

QUOTE (LocalsBandGuy @ Sep 13 2012, 09:38 PM)

Can we have a Price Is Right Wheel, or do they flash on the big screen. No Whammys, No Whammys, STOP!!

My colleague told me that Elvis Costello did this when he saw him at the Royal Albert Hall. Sounds like great fun! smile.gif

shuffle every show..can you imagine? be like going to show 20 years ago!... here's a song from signals,called "loosing it"..or bam first chord

starts to jacobs ladder ..bum bum bum bum bum..bum..crowd goes f in

crazy!!! then broons bane,followed by the trees!! holy shit! run,forrest

run back to your seat !! forget the beer...run!!!...

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 20 2012, 11:24 AM)
I would love it if they changed it up a lot every show, always wished they took that approach that so many other bands do. I get why they dont do it now since they are old but I never understood why they didnt do this when they were younger.

The amount of work that goes into every song from a technology standpoint makes it very difficult and perhaps risky--wouldn't you think? There's tons to trigger...I can see why they don't, but yeah it would be awesome laugh.gif

Changing songs on a schedule is the way to go. Anything else, and it's kind of not fair to throw certain songs to certain cities on a whim.

That was the issue with Dream Theater, that some cities would get awesome set lists while others would get the same old, same old, and it became a crap shoot that could backfire.

In fact, if you have a schedule of changing songs, you might increase the likelihood of people making multiple shows to hear the different stuff b/c they know they'll hear it, vs. "oh, well, I saw DT twice on their last tour, but on the 2nd stop I wasted my money b/c they played stuff I've already heard, so I won't be doing that again."

Case in point: I'm strongly considering the Cleveland show just to hear Middletown Dreams, even though I saw the Pgh show (that had The Body Electric in its place).

QUOTE (LocalsBandGuy @ Sep 13 2012, 04:38 PM)
Go for the shuffle!! No whining about the set, as it's just a roll of the bones. Imagine the possibilities:

SET 1
1 Circumstances
2 Carnies
3 Making Memories
4 Here Again
5 Prime Mover

etc
etc

Or, you get

1. Far Cry

2. Dreamline

3. Ghost Rider

4. The Larger Bowl

5. Roll the Bones

I wouldn't be happy with that.

You would get complaints about the set list b/c some people would get shafted.

The problem with this (not really a problem) is that Rush puts on BIG shows with videos, lights, pyro, all kinds of tech work.. and to randomize that would be nearly impossible for their crew and would lead to a weaker show.

Disagree.

Consider all the triggers and sequencing that Rush would have to prepare ahead of time "just in case." Too much work. Two guitars, bass, drums is vastly different than a zillion patches, sequences, triggers, and programming, all of which must be done ahead of time.

For Metallica, pyro can be moved, and more easily adaptable to key parts of a given song.

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Sep 20 2012, 12:09 PM)

Disagree.

Consider all the triggers and sequencing that Rush would have to prepare ahead of time "just in case." Too much work. Two guitars, bass, drums is vastly different than a zillion patches, sequences, triggers, and programming, all of which must be done ahead of time.

For Metallica, pyro can be moved, and more easily adaptable to key parts of a given song.

goodpost.gif yeah, nothing simple about what is going on with the technological aspect

Like everything else I enjoy, I like it when they're firm cool.gif

For example, I didn't get to see them perform The Body Electric, which is one of my favorites. If they're going to switch things out, switch out staples I've heard played every other time I've seen them.

Edited by professornutbudder