The Spirit of Radio

ThinkingBig

It appears that The Spirit of Radio has been dropped from the A setlist, which should be the set on Saturday night in Chicago.

The Spirit of Radio is what you could call the overture to the soundtrack of my life. It's not the first RUSH song I ever heard, but it was the one song that always seemed to come on the radio when I needed a lift--when I needed to hear a great rock song that would distract me in a good way from a shitty day. It was the song that would come on at just the right moment and instantly change my perspective, make me feel okay with life's ups and downs.

I think it was 1983, the KLOS rock and roll 500-- when the big rock radio station in L.A. played the top 500 most requested songs. I have a great memory of listening to the top ten songs that year, and being so proud when my band had the number 3 song. The Spirt of the Radio made number 3, with Won't Get Fooled Again #2, and Stairway to Heaven #1.

It was just so cool to be able to say, we're #3!! And we were in damn good company.

IMO, The Sprit of Radio is more than just a great RUSH song, it's a rock anthem about a time when radio programmers and record companies were making hard rock more like commercial pop rock -- positioning bands with catchy lyrics to appeal to the masses (Journey, Foreigner). The disco and commercial rock of the late-70's gave birth to alternative rock, punk, and new wave movements. How cool to have a song about rock radio with subtle new wave and reggae influences.

That opening riff always gives me a natural rush, a thrill, my hand automatically leaps to the volume dial and I'm reminded of days when I road my bike to 7-11 to play Defender and Missile Command, had girlfriends who didn't get my bands, and got dropped off in front of the L.A. forum where we had nosebleed seats to see our favorite band... RUSH.

Lights go down...

Audience jumps to their feet...

Three stooges music...

And Alex breaks into The Spirit of Radio.

Good-bye friend. Hope to see you again sometime...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have to say this, Limelight, and Tom Sawyer are the 3 "staples" that I don't think I'll ever get tired of. So I'm bummed to see it go, but I have seen them play it 4 times and it's not like there's a shortage of live recordings of it.

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Sep 12 2012, 08:48 PM)
I do have to say this, Limelight, and Tom Sawyer are the 3 "staples" that I don't think I'll ever get tired of. So I'm bummed to see it go, but I have seen them play it 4 times and it's not like there's a shortage of live recordings of it.

Agreed.

I'm going to wait until after the show to crank it up on the way home, let the great memories continue.

Still very excited about my bud from L.A. coming into town and going to the show Saturday night.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Sep 12 2012, 09:53 PM)
Aren't we supposed to not put song titles in the thread title? Spoilers (or false ones) and all.

Normally yes. I think this one and "Tom Sawyer" are probably safe though, even if they're dropped from the setlist. Anyone disagree? My opinion could be swayed.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Sep 12 2012, 08:53 PM)
Aren't we supposed to not put song titles in the thread title? Spoilers (or false ones) and all.

My bad, if I broke a rule, I apologize.

I agree. I felt The Spirit of Radio should not be messed with. Its more than a Classic RUSH song. Its a necessity at a RUSH concert. There are 3 songs that say "Hey! You're at a RUSH concert here!" Those songs are Limelight, Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio and to some extent YYZ and 2112 now as well. These songs should always be present at a RUSH concert. It just doesn't feel complete without them.

cool.gif

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Sep 12 2012, 08:45 PM)
It appears that The Spirit of Radio has been dropped from the A setlist, which should be the set on Saturday night in Chicago.

The Spirit of Radio is what you could call the overture to the soundtrack of my life. It's not the first RUSH song I ever heard, but it was the one song that always seemed to come on the radio when I needed a lift--when I needed to hear a great rock song that would distract me in a good way from a shitty day. It was the song that would come on at just the right moment and instantly change my perspective, make me feel okay with life's ups and downs.

I think it was 1983, the KLOS rock and roll 500-- when the big rock radio station in L.A. played the top 500 most requested songs. I have a great memory of listening to the top ten songs that year, and being so proud when my band had the number 3 song. The Spirt of the Radio made number 3, with Won't Get Fooled Again #2, and Stairway to Heaven #1.

It was just so cool to be able to say, we're #3!! And we were in damn good company.

IMO, The Sprit of Radio is more than just a great RUSH song, it's a rock anthem about a time when radio programmers and record companies were making hard rock more like commercial pop rock -- positioning bands with catchy lyrics to appeal to the masses (Journey, Foreigner). The disco and commercial rock of the late-70's gave birth to alternative rock, punk, and new wave movements. How cool to have a song about rock radio with subtle new wave and reggae influences.

That opening riff always gives me a natural rush, a thrill, my hand automatically leaps to the volume dial and I'm reminded of days when I road my bike to 7-11 to play Defender and Missile Command, had girlfriends who didn't get my bands, and got dropped off in front of the L.A. forum where we had nosebleed seats to see our favorite band... RUSH.

Lights go down...

Audience jumps to their feet...

Three stooges music...

And Alex breaks into The Spirit of Radio.

Good-bye friend. Hope to see you again sometime...

goodpost.gif

Awesome, actually.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Sep 12 2012, 08:48 PM)
It's a great song, but Geddy is starting to REALLY struggle on it. It needs a break anyway.

Sounded pretty good to me on the 7th - much better then on the TMT where it served as his warmup rather then his wrap-up song.

I always love hearing this live - but can understand replacing it.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 12 2012, 09:09 PM)
A bit sad that it's dropped. It should take Working Man's place now that 2112 is permanently on both setlist encores.

We don't know that for sure. They are just testing setlists out. TSOR will be back tomorrow if not soon. I'll tell you this, 7Cog should be in there permanently. Hopefully the latest change will stick and they'll move Wish Them Well out.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Not only did they open with Spirit of Radio on both legs of the Time Machine Tour, but there was a 6 minute long opening video with the song featured.

Yeah, I like it too, but after last tour, I can see them giving it a break on this leg. It probably returns for leg two of this tour next year.

I'm going to miss it if it not played in St. Louis. It is one of those songs I could hear every day, but I'm thinking that they may be tired of playing it every show. Only Neil has said that he wants to play Tom Sawyer every show, but maybe they all said enough is enough on TSOR. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

I've been seeing Rush live since the GUP tour, and I cant imagine a show without TSOR. It's been my favorite song since I was 13. I love the set list for this tour, it will be great to hear some of the gems from the 80's again, but I will be disappointed if they don't play TSOR at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn :-(

It definitely hurts to have both Limelight and Spirit of Radio pulled from the set. Regardless of how played out they are they are both essential components of the Rush tradition that virtually all fans agree on. The Spirit of Radio in particular is such a special song for me. When I noticed Limelight had been cut I consoled myself by realizing that I still had TSoR, Subdivisions, and The Analog Kid--three of my five favorite Rush songs. So it really hurt when TSoR got yanked too.

I hope that they are still experimenting to find the right formula and that TSoR, and even Limelight, make a comeback.

I'm an absolute diehard, but I've only seen Rush live once, on the Counterparts tour. I need TSoR! tongue.gif

I would INFINITELY rather lose Working Man than TSOR. I've never cared overmuch for the song (though I recognize its importance in launching Rush's career), and I really do not care for the reggae version.

But am I going to whine and sob and turn into Bitter McBitterpants over it? Hardly. Still eagerly awaiting Nov. 1!

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Sep 12 2012, 10:08 PM)
It definitely hurts to have both Limelight and Spirit of Radio pulled from the set. Regardless of how played out they are they are both essential components of the Rush tradition that virtually all fans agree on. The Spirit of Radio in particular is such a special song for me. When I noticed Limelight had been cut I consoled myself by realizing that I still had TSoR, Subdivisions, and The Analog Kid--three of my five favorite Rush songs. So it really hurt when TSoR got yanked too.

I hope that they are still experimenting to find the right formula and that TSoR, and even Limelight, make a comeback.

I'm an absolute diehard, but I've only seen Rush live once, on the Counterparts tour. I need TSoR! tongue.gif

I feel you, man. I don't want to lose either song, but I am preparing myself for it. Just know that when you are at the show it doesn't matter near as much as the abstract thinking we do about it here. When at the show they rock your ass. Rock on within that moment.

Hmmmmm, am I talking to you or me. confused13.gif

QUOTE (dayglow76 @ Sep 13 2012, 12:17 AM)
Yeah I think TSOR not being in there is definitely a mistake because at every Rush show I've been to where it wasn't the first song it ALWAYS got the crowd on their feet and just made the entire place electric.

Same here. I mostly like the current set list, and the variations they are doing, a lot, but I think not playing both 2112 and The Spirit of Radio every night is a mistake. Those two songs and Tom Sawyer should all be played at every Rush show for as long as they are still going, IMO. I can see the argument being made for YYZ and Limelight as well, although I am not sad to see the latter go (I love it, but am kind of tired of it), while the former always pumps me up at the live shows. Considering the other PoW songs they are playing, they ought to just chuck The Big Money and put Limelight in that number 2 spot in the first set.

1983, the KLOS rock and roll 500

Ah yes, that is the problem with KLOS (Los Angeles) these days-if you never heard of RUSH and listened to KLOS for a year, you'd think the only 2 songs RUSH ever recorded were TSOR and Tom Sawyer.

Good to see the "new" classic rock station in town, 100.3, going a bit "deeper." Have heard "Fly By Night" and "Working Man" on that one. Can't recall the last time I heard those on KLOS. Then again, KLOS is my last choice these days.