More to music than just guitar, bass, & drums

theoriginalfuzz

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts. We need more positive vibes here.

Who here loves this setlist? I absolutely do!

I personally have been waiting for a set like this for a long time. I'm a huge fan of the 80's material, because it was so innovative.

Keyboards add immense color to the artistic/audio palatte (just like Lifeson's saturated effects on his guitar do). I'm always amazed at how few people understand this.

Put another, overly-simplistic way: You can have either mostly phallic adolescent guitar masturbation the whole time, or you can have the sophistication of much of Rush's 80's material (which balances more subtle tasty guitar licks with keyboard augmentations - the two instruments play off of each other).

Like the title says, there's a lot more to music than just guitar, bass and drums. And Rush is sophisticated enough to show us just that on this tour.

(btw, I say this as a fan of ALL Rush - not just albums prior to 1981)

Who's with me? wink.gif

QUOTE (theoriginalfuzz @ Sep 12 2012, 08:09 PM)

Put another, overly-simplistic way: You can have either mostly phallic adolescent guitar masturbation the whole time, or you can have the sophistication of much of Rush's 80's material (which balances more subtle tasty guitar licks with keyboard augmentations - the two instruments play off of each other).

A lot of big words in your "overly-simplistic way". rofl3.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Sep 12 2012, 09:06 PM)
Love the keys, am a keys player myself!  Love the Rush-keys era!

I too am a keyboard player, so admittedly, I might have bit of a bias in favor of bands that use keyboards.

But think about it: many of the best bands out there have used keyboards as an equal compliment to the guitar element at some point or another (in my humble opinion). Rush, Yes, Genesis, Marillion, Porcupine Tree, the Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, to name a few... the list could go on and on wink.gif

The keys just add so much additional depth and substance to the art.

Edited by theoriginalfuzz

QUOTE (analog guy @ Sep 12 2012, 09:57 PM)
I'm a drummer first and a bass player second..... but I'm a BIG TIME synth enthusiast, especially old synths. Totally a sucker for Moogs, Prophets, and Oberheims in particular.

Geddy's got a lot to do with that.

That's right! Let's hear it for the keys/synth enthusiasts among us! cool.gif

I've been a Rush fan since 2112 - ATWA Stage, but when I heard AFT Kings for the first time, I actually checked my pants to see if there was any shit in them... That "New Rush" with the Mini Moog was so good I thought I soiled myself.

I couldn't imagine Rush without keys. I really don't think Rush would have got to the "world stage" without keys. Just guitar, bass and drums has a limited audience, I think.

And, when the dude plays bass, double-necked guitar, sings, plays Taurus pedals AND plays an EFFING keyboard at the same time... that made it even more cool. More reason to check my pants for shit at age 14...

What would Yes or Genesis have been without keyboards?

QUOTE (ClassicB @ Sep 12 2012, 08:33 PM)
Agreed! Rush wouldn't be here today if it weren't for the keyboards.

Good point. I imagine it would be pretty hard if you were a musician and alive in the late 70s/early 80s to not use the new keys/synths that were becoming more available and convenient. And there's no reason one should - to remain a contemporary musician you almost have to try new things and embrace whatever the current technology may be or remain a one dimensional, stale punk or metal band (which is what it seems the setlist complainers would've preferred).

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 13 2012, 12:01 PM)
QUOTE (ClassicB @ Sep 12 2012, 08:33 PM)
Agreed! Rush wouldn't be here today if it weren't for the keyboards.

Good point. I imagine it would be pretty hard if you were a musician and alive in the late 70s/early 80s to not use the new keys/synths that were becoming more available and convenient. And there's no reason one should - to remain a contemporary musician you almost have to try new things and embrace whatever the current technology may be or remain a one dimensional, stale punk or metal band (which is what it seems the setlist complainers would've preferred).

Exactly!

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 13 2012, 10:01 AM)
I've been a Rush fan since 2112 - ATWA Stage, but when I heard AFT Kings for the first time, I actually checked my pants to see if there was any shit in them... That "New Rush" with the Mini Moog was so good I thought I soiled myself.

I couldn't imagine Rush without keys. I really don't think Rush would have got to the "world stage" without keys. Just guitar, bass and drums has a limited audience, I think.

And, when the dude plays bass, double-necked guitar, sings, plays Taurus pedals AND plays an EFFING keyboard at the same time... that made it even more cool. More reason to check my pants for shit at age 14...

What would Yes or Genesis have been without keyboards?

That's precisely my point. You nailed it smile.gif

Keys add so much more dimension and possibilities to the music. And that is the spirit of artistic experimentation. It's a shame too many people are incapable of understanding this.

I love the 80s stuff. Especially the keyboard thick material.

I've said it before, I still remember the day my father walked in the door with Signals fresh from the record store.

I cannot wait for 10/12!!!