Rush on CD

micgtr71

OK, so I'm really not that old, but I have all of my Rush on vinyl except for T4E, CP, VT, and S&A. I am thinking about getting some of them on disc to listen to at work, at camp, and on the road in my older car...no ipod port.

The sectors seem to be the most straightforward way to make this happen. Anyone have any suggestions as to which route to go.

I am not interested in the Mobile Fidelity.

Thanks in advance.

QUOTE (TheBigGMoney @ Sep 12 2012, 08:06 PM)
Part 2 :

Absolutely go online to Best Buy or another one. Here's Best Buy. There are a several - 2112, Rush, PermWaves for cheap. Order online and pick up in a local store.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp...es&nrp=15&iht=n

Thank you. This sounds like a great idea. Much appreciated!

Most anyone would tell you not to get the 1997 "The Rush Remasters" and rightly so. If you can afford the Sector box sets then YES that is the way to go. They are a big improvement over every Mercury version that precedes them. If you are an audiophile seek out the West German or Japanese versions.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 12 2012, 09:42 PM)
Most anyone would tell you not to get the 1997 "The Rush Remasters" and rightly so. If you can afford the Sector box sets then YES that is the way to go. They are a big improvement over every Mercury version that precedes them. If you are an audiophile seek out the West German or Japanese versions.

goodpost.gif

The Japanese SHM versions sound great to these ears.

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Sep 12 2012, 07:56 PM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 12 2012, 09:42 PM)
Most anyone would tell you not to get the 1997 "The Rush Remasters" and rightly so.  If you can afford the Sector box sets then YES that is the way to go.  They are a big improvement over every Mercury version that precedes them.  If you are an audiophile seek out the West German or Japanese versions.

goodpost.gif

The Japanese SHM versions sound great to these ears.

second that i love shm

Is it generally agreed that the Sector remasters are better than the 1997?

I got a few of the 1997's (and other "Rush Remaster" series discs) years ago, and I had foolishly sold off the W German (in the case of older Rush material) and other original release copies those remasters replaced. wacko.gif (Except for Presto (that particular original I bought in 1989 has sentimental value), and I also kept the original Test For Echo because the missing "Sisyphus" in the remaster, though extremely minor, still drives me nuts.)

I still have a handful of W Germans and other original releases though, as I had never gotten around to buying the 1997s for those albums, thank goodness!

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Sep 15 2012, 09:39 AM)

I got a few of the 1997's (and other "Rush Remaster" series discs) years ago, and I had foolishly sold off the W German (in the case of older Rush material) and other original release copies those remasters replaced. wacko.gif (Except for Presto (that particular original I bought in 1989 has sentimental value), and I also kept the original Test For Echo because the missing "Sisyphus" in the remaster, though extremely minor, still drives me nuts.)

I still have a handful of W Germans and other original releases though, as I had never gotten around to buying the 1997s for those albums, thank goodness!

THANK YOU! I hadn't listened to TFE much -bought it when it first came (cassette tape) out and remembered the Sisyphus reference. Lots of years later bought a remastered CD and listened to Carve Away the Stone over and over trying to figure out where'd Sisyphus go?

Now I know! That has been really bugging me for a long time! (Thought I was imagining it to begin with!)

From what I recall reading I think the Sector versions are maybe slightly better. If I was going to buy the catalog now I'd go with the boxsets.

It is generally agreed that EVERY other release is better than the 1997 remasters.

This weekend I compared RUSH and FLY BY NIGHT. I have several versions of both albums - the original Mercury vinyl - the first Mercury CD - the West German CD - the Japanese SHM CD - the Sector box version. I don't own the 1997 remasters anymore.

The vinyl is probably the best, but not everyone cares for vinyl. That's understandable. A good turn table is expensive these days and caring for vinyl is something I decided to recommit to after a decade of not wanting to. The loudness war finally made me go back and I can't say I regret it.

The original Mercury CD is ok, but it suffers from the same problem most early CDs do in that it is pretty flat and soulless.

My ears can't tell much of a difference between the West German and Japanese CDs. They easily tie for the best CD versions.

The main complaint on the 1997 remasters (The Rush Remasters) was that they were very loud. I loved them at first, but after a while the wall of sound kind of turns into white noise in your head. They were the only Rush CDs I had for several years and when I started getting the other versions they immediately dropped in my estimation.

The Sector sets were a big improvement over the 1997 versions, but when comparing them to the German and Japanese versions they are still quite loud. They are very good for your car (maybe) or an mp3 player. Those are the versions I have on my phone. I don't really have too much of a complaint with them and there are some noticeable differences in a few cases with the mixes. The surround sound DVDs aren't much more than a novelty, but for an insane completist like me they are pretty essential. They are also the best packaging of any version outside the original 12 inch albums.

Just one man's opinion. In the end you have to decide for yourself.