crazygeo

caress of steel

counterparts

farewell to the kings

fly by night

hemispheres

test for echo

vapor trails

I am okay as a fan since 1978...tour member since 1981...

But......why not cut out a Power Window song or so....and cut in a few from the above?

IP.S I may have missed/messed up..but I didn't see any of these......

2.gif

comp26.gif

1022.gif

either way, another tour...maybe this is it? wtf.gif

The thing about a band touring for 40 years is that there are going to be tours where even the most hardcore fan is perplexed. Ride the wave and hope for another tour. In the 1980s they dropped almost all the 70s tunes and only brought them back on the Vapor Trails - Snakes And Arrows tours. Longevity means not wanting to do the same thing over and over and over again. They aren't trained animals. Give them a little freedom.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 12 2012, 06:35 PM)
The thing about a band touring for 40 years is that there are going to be tours where even the most hardcore fan is perplexed. Ride the wave and hope for another tour. In the 1980s they dropped almost all the 70s tunes and only brought them back on the Vapor Trails - Snakes And Arrows tours. Longevity means not wanting to do the same thing over and over and over again. They aren't trained animals. Give them a little freedom.

Yeah Rush has had several Breaks from the norm.

MP-RTB: (More Keyboards) which meant less 70's songs.

CP-VT: (Heavier Songs) Slow return of the 70's.

S&A -CA: (Strings) Return of the 80's.

Look RUSH understands their fans. They know that the fans that grew up with them in the 80's are now the ones attending and bringing their kids to the shows. So they are going to gear the show towards them. I'm sure next will be those fans brought up with Rush's 90's tunes Presto-VT

cool.gif

Honestly, some of us have been waiting a long time for a set like this. Believe it or not, there are a lot of us out here who love the 80's keyboard stuff. It was incredibly innovative. And given that Power Windows is one of my personal faves (among my top 4 or 5 Rush albums), I personally am pleased that they are doing 4 songs from it.

Add to that the fact that some of us didn't start seeing Rush live until after the 80's (RTB tour was my first), we never got to see songs like Grand Designs, Middletown Dreams and Territories live.

I don't mean to sound inflammatory here. Not in the slightest. But I have to say that it never ceases to amaze me how some people really don't see the value of keyboards as a strong addition to the aural color palatte. There is a lot more to music than just guitar, bass and drums. And I'm not necessarily referring to the original poster in making this statement.

I fully understand what the original poster meant, though. I had the same complaint with the last two tours. But that's just the way it goes. The band plays what it is intrigued by at any given time. That's their artistic right. With a catalog as huge as theirs, some albums are simply going to get left out. I'd much rather they focus on multiple songs from an album I've been waiting to hear live, rather than trying to cram one song from every single album into a set. The set, to me, has more depth that way, as they can explore their back catalog in more detail.

Next tour, it will be a different set of songs, and maybe everyone here will all get to hear Jacob's Ladder finally (which I am not personally all that fond of). But for this tour, I finally get my Middletown Dreams (the one I have been waiting for).

QUOTE (theoriginalfuzz @ Sep 12 2012, 07:45 PM)
Honestly, some of us have been waiting a long time for a set like this. Believe it or not, there are a lot of us out here who love the 80's keyboard stuff. It was incredibly innovative. And given that Power Windows is one of my personal faves (among my top 4 or 5 Rush albums), I personally am pleased that they are doing 4 songs from it.

Add to that the fact that some of us didn't start seeing Rush live until after the 80's (RTB tour was my first), we never got to see songs like Grand Designs, Middletown Dreams and Territories live.

I don't mean to sound inflammatory here. Not in the slightest. But I have to say that it never ceases to amaze me how some people really don't see the value of keyboards as a strong addition to the aural color palatte. There is a lot more to music than just guitar, bass and drums. And I'm not necessarily referring to the original poster in making this statement.

I fully understand what the original poster meant, though. I had the same complaint with the last two tours. But that's just the way it goes. The band plays what it is intrigued by at any given time. That's their artistic right. With a catalog as huge as theirs, some albums are simply going to get left out. I'd much rather they focus on multiple songs from an album I've been waiting to hear live, rather than trying to cram one song from every single album into a set. The set, to me, has more depth that way, as they can explore their back catalog in more detail.

Next tour, it will be a different set of songs, and maybe everyone here will all get to hear Jacob's Ladder finally (which I am not personally all that fond of). But for this tour, I finally get my Middletown Dreams (the one I have been waiting for).

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (crazygeo @ Sep 12 2012, 07:29 PM)
caress of steel
counterparts
farewell to the kings
fly by night
hemispheres
test for echo
vapor trails

I am okay as a fan since 1978...tour member since 1981...

But......why not cut out a Power Window song or so....and cut in a few from the above?
IP.S I may have missed/messed up..but I didn't see any of these......

2.gif
comp26.gif
1022.gif

either way, another tour...maybe this is it?  wtf.gif

Yeas and don't forget Permanent Waves too!