Crouching Drummer

shail

QUOTE (shail @ Sep 12 2012, 11:20 AM)
Wonder why Neil always ducks his head and torso down behind the Tom toms after every song and his drum solo. It's like he doesn't want to be seen as the lights fade to black. Shyness?

He meditates.

QUOTE (shail @ Sep 12 2012, 10:20 AM)
Wonder why Neil always ducks his head and torso down behind the Tom toms after every song and his drum solo. It's like he doesn't want to be seen as the lights fade to black. Shyness?

If the lights fade to black how do you know he isn't flashing a BA?

Rest, avoiding being seen when the lights come back on (you'd be surprised how cheesy it looks to see him just sitting there), and to dry his hands.

It's mainly for rest though. I played in a pretty intense band with 3 hour shows and believe me, that 10 seconds of rest inbetween songs is GOLDEN.

QUOTE (shail @ Sep 12 2012, 10:20 AM)

A lot of drummers do it. I dont think there's anything behind it at all. Maybe its some sort of bow, or putting his head down is kind of like a "cool" thing to do after he spent 5 minutes pounding on the drums, or maybe he is relaxing his back. Dont read too deep into this stuff. I seriously doubt he is hiding. That's so silly.

I think it's either a bow or a reach for a towel. When I play for extended periods of time my hands get sweaty and that's not good for grip. While some luck guy might love the drum stick flying his way, the audience wouldn't appreciate him missing a few beats as he reaches for another stick.

I do the same thing during shows, and I Didn't copy this from Neil. I do it for 2 reasons; 1) to grab a bit of rest without the crowd looking at me. 2) to stay hidden/out of the light, if I am not the one who starts the next song.

Both of these things involve grabbing the towel for a quick face wipe. But that's it, nothing more to it.

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Sep 12 2012, 08:54 AM)
peeking at the hidden camera he set up in the ladies restroom

Why? So he can count the 15 women that showed up and give a report to Geddy and Alex later?

laugh.gif

He's taking a breather. What he does and how he plays is extremely physical. He's catching his breath before he pounds away for the next song. Most drummers do this.

It could just be because he's Neil Peart - and he can do whatever the hell he wants! 1022.gif

He ain't catching his breath by all means. He's not huffing and puffing back there at any given moment. If he played 32nd note triplets at 100bpm for 5 minutes really full force that might warrant him taking some deep breaths. Most of the tunes are pretty kick back. He's resting his back beats almost ever song. He puts his arm down by his left leg during on 1 and 3. a half a second rest. The tempos are slow for the most part. He's not out of shape either. after a few songs of playing i like to stand up to stretch out the back. Edited by shail

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Sep 12 2012, 05:36 PM)
He's gathering all the hate he has for his fans so he can unleash that fury and rage on the drums. Easy.

Haha, yeah like those jerks that follow his bus down the Interstate.

Grrrrr.