Terrible Terrible Terrible

rayrushray

I have not seen the setlist as yet nor do I want to. The Tampa show will be my 47th since GUP and if they dropped the usual hits INCLUDING Tom Sawyer I would be very happy I've seen and heard them ALL over the years besides I love surprises.

On the Time Machine tour of which i saw 3 times I got my dream 2.gif wish of seeing and hearing *The Camera Eye* they could play a Vavaldi concerto and i would STILL be happy @ a $100 a pop. biggrin.gif

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Thread:

Terrible, terrible, Terrible, Don't waste your time!

wink.gif

Oh, at $150 a pop, you get 3 hours worth of great music. Try getting that with any other band. You'll be hard pressed to fine one.

cool10.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Sep 12 2012, 08:42 AM)
Regarding the setlist, it's obvious the band is trying to please the hard core fans this time around.

Do you really think Geddy, Alex, and Neil were sitting around discussing the setlist saying "let's put together a setlist that will make the hardcore fans happy. Let's do this tour for them."

Rush absolutely appreciates their fanatical following, but they have never and won't ever record an album or plan a setlist based on what we want.

This setlist is for them. This is the setlist Rush wants to play. This is the setlist that will motivate them every night and get them excited to get out on stage. The fact that will please some of the hardcore fans is nice but did not motivate them. The reality is that it's more Geddy's setlist that works for him vocally. He's made no secret about Power Windows being one of his favorite albums.

Jimmy Chamberlain put it very well in the documentary. "Brand Loyalty" Just like NASCAR fans. Rush fans are going nowhere. They could play all of Test for Echo and Snakes and Arrows and they'd still sell a reliable number of tickets. This go around, Rush said: "We're sick of Limelight, CTTH, Red Barchetta, Freewill, etc" We're throwing in songs we want to play. The fans are going nowhere.

And that's ok. Rush has earned it. Think about how much this band has toured the last 10 years (in their 50's) and how many times they have played Tom Sawyer, Limelight, 2112, Spirit of Radio, etc. They've earned the right to do some very deep cuts for themselves.

I don't think the OP is trolling. He has every right to be disappointed if he took his kids to see them for the first time hoping to see all the staples. This is the downside. Rush is going to get hit hard by a lot of the casual fans with expectations to see a certain few songs that they wont get. Rush has to expect a certain amount of this.

Personally, I'm concerned about quiet less energetic audiences based on the set. Rush always did a good job of mixing in a hit around the obscure songs. This time there is no hit to mix in, so it might not be as much fun watching the crowd get into all the known songs.

I look at it like this:I'd call myself a casual fan of Metallica. If I went to see them, and they played all of their new album, plus a bunch of stuff off Reload, a couple off St. Anger, and a couple hits for the encore, I'd be a little pissed too. I can understand the gripe

QUOTE (rayrushray @ Sep 12 2012, 09:16 AM)
....and don't carry much expectation going to see it.

No offense taken here and after all, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but what rubs me a bit raw is the quote above.

After seeing the set list from opening night and then Virginia, I am happier than a clam. Power Windows was the first Rush album I got into along with my very first concert. To this day, Power Windows, Presto, Counterparts, etc. are what I play most often when listening to Rush. I also love Clockwork Angels so suffice it to say, I have high expectations that the Newark show will be fantastic.

Plus...having seen Rush 21 times since Power Windows, I can honestly say I have never experienced a "weak effort" from them. Maybe the Rush fanboy in me is clouding my judgement but I have taken several non-Rush fan to shows since the Vapor Trails tour and everyone of them has always commented on how professional and hard working the band comes off live. If you want to see "weak effort", check out some of the youtube footage of Van Halen, my other favorite band, durng their 2004 & 2005 reunion tour with Sammy Hagar.

I know I don't post much here either but I just felt like it today.

I saw in another thread where someone described the setlist as brave, and others said there was nothing brave about this setlist. The OP is exactly why this is a brave setlist. Many casual fans, and even hardcore fans, who want a greatest hits tour every time will be disappointed. There will be grumbling and grousing. Some will take the setlist as a personal affront. Thus, very brave to choose mostly deep cuts from an under-appreciated era.

I love it.

I just hope they don't "come to their senses" before Houston.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 12 2012, 05:59 AM)
Not to sound trite, but the setlist is a problem, nothing else. Its the older music that made them who they are, not the newer crap. The setlist should be comprised of no more than 20% or less of the newer material. Then the poor song choice for the older material. Complete and utter logic fail on their part.

I have to disagree.

What makes a band like Rush so awesome is their constant evolution and experimenting. Is the music from the 70's and super early 80's amazing? My God yes.

But to a "younger" fan like me, the later 80's-early 90's stuff is just as fantastic.

Also, the newer stuff is not crap. A lot of the newer stuff is what is making some younger fans fall in love with Rush just like we other fans did in whatever respective generation of their career we just so happened to find them in.

2.gif

QUOTE (gangsterfurious @ Sep 12 2012, 09:47 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 12 2012, 05:59 AM)
Not to sound trite, but the setlist is a problem, nothing else.  Its the older music that made them who they are, not the newer crap.  The setlist should be comprised of no more than 20% or less of the newer material.  Then the poor song choice for the older material.  Complete and utter logic fail on their part.

I have to disagree.

What makes a band like Rush so awesome is their constant evolution and experimenting. Is the music from the 70's and super early 80's amazing? My God yes.

But to a "younger" fan like me, the later 80's-early 90's stuff is just as fantastic.

Also, the newer stuff is not crap. A lot of the newer stuff is what is making some younger fans fall in love with Rush just like we other fans did in whatever respective generation of their career we just so happened to find them in.

2.gif

goodpost.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif trink39.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The Clockwork Angels Strings Set is worth the price of admission alone.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

You know, one thing I will add as a slight criticism or at least something that does confuse me about this setlist:

There are a bunch of songs between staples and deep cuts. Songs that they have actually played quite a bit on various tours but they aren't considered the hits or classics. Songs like Red Sector A, Big Money, Force Ten, Dreamline. I'm not sure why they're playing those 4 songs. They've been played a bunch and it's not like they get the casual fans charged up.

Look at what a few simple changes would do to it

Limelight

Subdivisions

Freewill

Grand Designs

The Body Electric/Middletown Dreams

Territories

The Analog Kid

Bravado/The Pass

Where's My Thing?

Far Cry

Caravan

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

Seven Cities of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

Halo Effect

The Garden

Manhattan Project/Dreamline

YYZ

2112 (Overture/Temples of Syrinx/Grand Finale)

The Spirit of Radio

La Villa Strangiato

Tom Sawyer

Just added Limelight, La Villa, and Freewill and took out Big Money, Force Ten, and Red Sector A...3 songs they have played a ton. I think these 3 simple changes would make everyone happy

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Sep 12 2012, 09:59 AM)
You know, one thing I will add as a slight criticism or at least something that does confuse me about this setlist:

There are a bunch of songs between staples and deep cuts. Songs that they have actually played quite a bit on various tours but they aren't considered the hits or classics. Songs like Red Sector A, Big Money, Force Ten, Dreamline. I'm not sure why they're playing those 4 songs. They've been played a bunch and it's not like they get the casual fans charged up.

Limelight
Subdivisions
Freewill
Grand Designs
Territories
The Analog Kid
Bravado/The Pass
Where's My Thing?
Far Cry

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
Seven Cities of Gold
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Halo Effect
The Garden
YYZ

The Spirit of Radio
La Villa Strangiato
Tom Sawyer

Just added Limelight, La Villa, and Freewill and took out Big Money, Force Ten, and Red Sector A...3 songs they have played a ton. I think these 3 simple changes would make everyone happy

Looks good but you forgot a (full) Xanadu. Its a crime that they refuse to play that song, one of their all time greatest - and one geddy can surely still sing, btw.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Sep 12 2012, 09:43 AM)
QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Sep 12 2012, 08:42 AM)
Regarding the setlist, it's obvious the band is trying to please the hard core fans this time around.

Do you really think Geddy, Alex, and Neil were sitting around discussing the setlist saying "let's put together a setlist that will make the hardcore fans happy. Let's do this tour for them."

Rush absolutely appreciates their fanatical following, but they have never and won't ever record an album or plan a setlist based on what we want.

This setlist is for them. This is the setlist Rush wants to play. This is the setlist that will motivate them every night and get them excited to get out on stage. The fact that will please some of the hardcore fans is nice but did not motivate them. The reality is that it's more Geddy's setlist that works for him vocally. He's made no secret about Power Windows being one of his favorite albums.

Jimmy Chamberlain put it very well in the documentary. "Brand Loyalty" Just like NASCAR fans. Rush fans are going nowhere. They could play all of Test for Echo and Snakes and Arrows and they'd still sell a reliable number of tickets. This go around, Rush said: "We're sick of Limelight, CTTH, Red Barchetta, Freewill, etc" We're throwing in songs we want to play. The fans are going nowhere.

And that's ok. Rush has earned it. Think about how much this band has toured the last 10 years (in their 50's) and how many times they have played Tom Sawyer, Limelight, 2112, Spirit of Radio, etc. They've earned the right to do some very deep cuts for themselves.

I don't think the OP is trolling. He has every right to be disappointed if he took his kids to see them for the first time hoping to see all the staples. This is the downside. Rush is going to get hit hard by a lot of the casual fans with expectations to see a certain few songs that they wont get. Rush has to expect a certain amount of this.

Personally, I'm concerned about quiet less energetic audiences based on the set. Rush always did a good job of mixing in a hit around the obscure songs. This time there is no hit to mix in, so it might not be as much fun watching the crowd get into all the known songs.

I look at it like this:I'd call myself a casual fan of Metallica. If I went to see them, and they played all of their new album, plus a bunch of stuff off Reload, a couple off St. Anger, and a couple hits for the encore, I'd be a little pissed too. I can understand the gripe

Ahhhhh.....THIS is hitting the nail on the head and when you brought up Metallica I can remember a summer tour they did. It was the Sunday after they played Woodstock II, they played all the unusual stuff one would not hear on a tour for an album. They played what THEY wanted to play....most bands after years of playing the usual hits now want to play what fits for THEM not necessarily the fans.

It's us fans who must make the adjustment to the band not the other way around. The challenge it's keeping the enthusiasm for the casual fans who may not be familiar with the more obscure songs as some fans might just sit on their asses all night long and NOT utter a word.

I just hope it will be entertaining for ALL who go to see 2.gif cause I know I will be for sure no matter what they play.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 12 2012, 07:01 AM)
QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Sep 12 2012, 09:29 AM)
Rush has been around a long time and they can do what they want.

Yes, but at their expense

Not if you don't pay anything!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 12 2012, 10:01 AM)

Limelight
Subdivisions
Freewill
Grand Designs
Territories
The Analog Kid
Bravado/The Pass
Where's My Thing?
Far Cry

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
Seven Cities of Gold
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Halo Effect
The Garden
YYZ

The Spirit of Radio
La Villa Strangiato
Tom Sawyer

Looks good but you forgot a (full) Xanadu. Its a crime that they refuse to play that song, one of their all time greatest - and one geddy can surely still sing, btw.

I'm sure they are holding all their big guns for the R40 Tour. They knew that mostly the hard core fans were the ones going to this tour since they just relased Clockwork Angels and they are touring with a string section. I'm sure we'll get Xanadu, Hemisphere's (Prelude), Cygnux X-1, Natural Science, y-Tor and The Snow Dog, La Villa Strangiatto, Red Barchetta, Freewill, and many others during their next Mega-hits tour which will probably be R40 in 2014. for now just watch R30 if you can't appreciate the CA Tour for all its brilliance.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

One thing you have to realize is that Rush is not afraid of pissing some people off now and then. They do that with their changes in musical styles over the years and they do that with the 'new Coke' version of their set lists. I would bet $20 that when they were coming up with the setlists they probably said something like 'you know, we're gonna piss some people off buy not playing (insert your favorite song here), but oh well'.

They have to keep things interesting for themselves. At this stage, the day they get bored with it is the day they say 'meh, F it...lets go golfing'.

QUOTE (mmm_donuts @ Sep 12 2012, 10:13 AM)
One thing you have to realize is that Rush is not afraid of pissing some people off now and then. They do that with their changes in musical styles over the years and they do that with the 'new Coke' version of their set lists. I would bet $20 that when they were coming up with the setlists they probably said something like 'you know, we're gonna piss some people off buy not playing (insert your favorite song here), but oh well'.

They have to keep things interesting for themselves. At this stage, the day they get bored with it is the day they say 'meh, F it...lets go golfing'.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 12 2012, 10:12 AM)

Limelight
Subdivisions
Freewill
Grand Designs
Territories
The Analog Kid
Bravado/The Pass
Where's My Thing?
Far Cry

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
Seven Cities of Gold
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Halo Effect
The Garden
YYZ

The Spirit of Radio
La Villa Strangiato
Tom Sawyer

I'm sure they are holding all their big guns for the R40 Tour. They knew that mostly the hard core fans were the ones going to this tour since they just relased Clockwork Angels and they are touring with a string section. I'm sure we'll get Xanadu, Hemisphere's (Prelude), Cygnux X-1, Natural Science, y-Tor and The Snow Dog, La Villa Strangiatto, Red Barchetta, Freewill, and many others during their next Mega-hits tour which will probably be R40 in 2014. for now just watch R30 if you can't appreciate the CA Tour for all its brilliance.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Glad to see you have hope for those non-regular epics of the "past", because I don't.

I take these types of posts like I take coaching criticism from parents of pee-wee teams...

If you think you can do better, do it yourself.

If you think you'll have better at other concerts, then by all means...spend your $$ elsewhere.

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Sep 12 2012, 10:19 AM)

Limelight
Subdivisions
Freewill
Grand Designs
Territories
The Analog Kid
Bravado/The Pass
Where's My Thing?
Far Cry

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
Seven Cities of Gold
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Halo Effect
The Garden
YYZ

The Spirit of Radio
La Villa Strangiato
Tom Sawyer

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Glad to see you have hope for those non-regular epics of the "past", because I don't.

I hope Losingit2k is right about this prospective R40 setlist. That setlist will of course include a broad cross section of material, still including the mid-late 80s-early 90s stuff that most of the old school fans like us dislike (just like R30 did).

But *maybe* theyll give us some of the 70s-early 80s (up to signals for me) classics that were the reason we jumped on the Rush bandwagon all those years ago.

Edited by greg2112

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Sep 12 2012, 10:19 AM)

Limelight
Subdivisions
Freewill
Grand Designs
Territories
The Analog Kid
Bravado/The Pass
Where's My Thing?
Far Cry

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
Seven Cities of Gold
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Halo Effect
The Garden
YYZ

The Spirit of Radio
La Villa Strangiato
Tom Sawyer

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

And why is that?

During T4E Tour they gave us:

2112 (Entire) & Natural Science

During Vapor Trails they gave us:

Natural Science, La Villa Strangiatto, Cygnus X-1, By-Tor and the Snowdog and Working Man

During R30 they handed us:

La Villa Strangiatto, Xanadu, By -tor and the Snowdog and Working Man

During Snakes and Arrows tour we got:

Nartural Science and a Passage to Bangkok

During The Time Machine Tour we saw:

The Camera Eye, La Villa Strangiatto and Working Man

And During Clockwork Angels we got:

Working Man

I think they are working there way up to and all Epics tour for R40.

Sorry "I can't stop thinking Big"!

cool.gif

Edited by losingit2k

The vibe I am getting from fans who actually are voiceing their discontent about this years show feels very similar to what I heard and saw on he Hold Your Fire Tour.

Very similar.

I can understand the letdown for some fans who really despise the synth era from Rush.

On the other hand they have cranked out amazing diverse set-list after set list since the Counterparts tour.

This is the first time in 25 years we are being treated to a 80's intensive setlist other than Waves and Pictures (which have been played intensely on the past 4 tours).

So it is what it is and whatever.

I am very happy we are getting this show....it has long been overdue to a huge segment of Rush fans from the early and mid 80's.

Fresh....finally getting a fresh setlist.

QUOTE (rayrushray @ Sep 11 2012, 11:48 PM)
Inconsiderate. Lazy. Thoughtless. Words That I never associated with Rush.

Lazy? How is Rush virtually completely redrafting the playbook from square one lazy? Would you really prefer to hear the same tracks tour, after tour, after tour?

Also, inconsiderate? How is them playing some homage to long neglected tracks of the past inconsiderate?

Sorry you didn't like it, as other's have poignantly pointed out, sucks to be you. I love it.

QUOTE (rayrushray @ Sep 11 2012, 11:48 PM)
The memo is out and the Pittsburgh fans got it.

With an embarrassing curtain around all the unsold cheap seats and a terrible ushering system that forced me to stand in an unwanted line to get "better seats", I missed the first two songs because rush apparently weren't aware most of there fans were faced with this inconvenience.

If only I had refused the upgrade and went to the exits early.

The chances missed in life............sigh.

After going on a tepid run through rarities that left even their hard core fans a little stumped for an answer, the band thankfully adjourned for an intermission that allowed the bored and dreamy a chance to catch up on email.

The break allowed for me to scan the crowd: a good mix of dumbfounded older fans with deep wonder in their eyes and young kids who were mesmerized and taken in by a time machine last time out, only to be hoodwinked in to the current set, that had them hoping that Madonna or Culture Club might appear suddenly and save them from such lameness.

In the highly anticipated second set, the high paying customers were treated to a disorganized group of string players who looked good, and probably would have sounded better if the mixologist would have done his job with a bit more savvy.

As new song after new song was force-fed to the "High-Paying" customers, many in the crowd took extended breaks in the restroom, figuring rightly that security might be better company.

By the time the new songs were lodged in everyone's throats, some real hits were ready to roll.

Like Manhattan Project and Red Sector A....

HUH? What a joke.

To lull a sleepy crowd from their doldrums, a lazy, out of place and momentum lacking YYZ segued into an often repeated reggae version of a very tired Working Man.

Tom Sawyer appeared, without any true swagger, and 2112 was performed like it was a motion a band has to go through.

I can't tell you what the closing video contained, because when disgust sets in, it's better to exit and hope for a safe ride home.

Inconsiderate. Lazy. Thoughtless. Words That I never associated with Rush.

The set, the arrangement, the videos, all of it.

I saw it in the faces of the young and the faces of the old as they high-tailed for the doors, the momentum gained with the Time Machine Tour was lost on the Clockwork Angels Tour.

Spare me all the, "Rush has been around a long time, and they can do what they want"

Now that's whining...........

A set list like this could have been great, if only it would have been plotted instead of mailed in.

Return to Sender.

Bottom Line: This is a terrible show, go and see it at your own risk.

Of course, If insomnia plagues you, I think I have your cure.

Did you kick an animal after the show in disgust moon.gif