Terrible Terrible Terrible

rayrushray

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Sep 12 2012, 08:19 PM)
QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Sep 12 2012, 08:35 PM)
QUOTE (bigalfan @ Sep 12 2012, 05:31 PM)
You know what's terrible? I was forced to drink A Miller Lite @ a college football game last Saturday because nothing else was available...and broke out in HIVES!! No crap! Now THAT's terrible - on two counts!

My college didn't serve beer at the games angry.gif

That's terrible!! wink.gif Mine doesn't either. This was one of those on campus beer cart deals.

Nice. We had a tailgate set up near the basketball arena. Good times.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldworldman @ Sep 12 2012, 12:58 PM)
The thing about threads like this, and really all of the negative "criticism" (air quotes there because few on this board have the knowledge and writing chops necessary to be an effective critic) is that it's completely self-serving.

This thread is sub-titled "don't waste your money," and ostensibly seeks to do those folks who haven't bought tickets yet a favor, but in reality it's just a look-at-me thing. If you didn't like the show/setlist, that's fair enough, but do you honestly think those folks who haven't gone yet, or who haven't ever seen a Rush show, will now avoid going because of your opinion?

rofl3.gif

This board is mostly adults who don't need help making entertainment choices, which leaves the motivation behind the constant negativity in question. Do you think the band cares about your opinion, negative or positive? No? Then what's the point? Venting frustration? Making sure everyone else is unhappy too? I just don't get the mindset.

It's not that difficult to understand: it's selfishness and the feeling that everything revolves around you without any thought or consideration for the band's needs and desires. That any "fan" could be so utterly clueless as to call the band lazy at this stage of the game is simply ludicrous. wacko.gif

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Sep 12 2012, 06:35 PM)
You know what's terrible? I was forced to drink A Miller Lite @ a college football game last Saturday because nothing else was available...and broke out in HIVES!! No crap! Now THAT's terrible - on two counts!

Which is better than having to drink Miller Lite. Life's too short to drink shit beer.

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Sep 13 2012, 04:50 AM)

Which is better than having to drink Miller Lite. Life's too short to drink shit beer.

You get to live in Vancouver, Washington....I dislike you. angry.gif (green with envy) wink.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 12 2012, 09:46 AM)
QUOTE (toscanobarga @ Sep 12 2012, 11:04 AM)
The Rush setlist reminds me of a couple of Iron Maiden shows I saw.

One was on the "A Matter of Life and Death" tour where they played the whole album start to finish and ended with a couple of classics. Loved every second of it, I'm neither a casual or hardcore Maiden fan. Lots of restless and disappointed people in the audience during that show.

The other was on their 2010 tour where they featured later year material and again, only a couple of classics. Again, lots of restless disappointed people, but it was a great show.

This type of thing is what sets bands like Rush and Iron Maiden and Metallica aside form the Def Leppards and ZZ Tops of the world. They play what THEY want to play, they don't just pander with a greatest hits set and just let the chips fall where they may in terms of audience reaciton.

They have integrity and they have confidence in their material and in their audience.

This won't be MY favorite set ever, but I'm going to go in with an open mind and enjoy the crap out of it nonetheless.

Was going to make the same exact analogy with Maiden. The important point of course is that they balanced those setlists with "throwback" tours sandwiched in between - ie the Somewhere Back in Time and the absolutely astounding 7th Son throwback this year.

I'd hope Rush does the same next time around, but for some reason, even if they did an R40 tour, I dont see it being as fan friendly/throwback as what Maiden has done/is doing, which is simply as good as it gets.

Didn't we just get a "Throwback" tour last time out ?

The Manchester NH show was fine with no venue issues -

By the way that show was full -- pretty much all the way to the top

I dont know how an upgrade is a bad thing -

This is the second thing I read on the empty seats in Pittsburgh -

The bottom line is that we were spoiled with the R30 setlist and the Time Machine setlist . One could even say we are spoiled with the Vapor Trails setlist as well.

I remember the Hold Your Fire tour where with the exception of 2 songs at the beginning and 3 at the end were all new material and Power Windows Material

I will say that I did not need to hear 4 songs from Power Windows -

But I will be attending the Brooklyn and New Jersey shows as well - despite any setlist , because its Rush .

Remember ---- Any Rush is better than no Rush at all !!!!

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Sep 12 2012, 01:05 PM)
Yes! Manchester was terrible! Terrible! $7.00 for a plastic bottle of Budweiser?!? Only one tap for the Guinness?!? Horrendously bad. It ruined my beer drinking experience! Terrible!

Fortunately, the concert was so *crazy* fraking good, I survived on my Budweiser. I had to drive home 90 miles anyway, so I suppose it wasn't outrageous, but pretty, pretty bad.

Oh, the concert kicked serious ass! I was so busy rocking out, I ended up drinking a quasi-warm bottle of Bud before we left the arena. It tasted terrible!

That was the game, right? Use terrible as many times in the review of how absolutely amazing Rush is. wink.gif

trink39.gif

2.gif 1022.gif

Still the Greatest Band in the Galaxy.

Only $7.00. Out here we pay $12.00. sad.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Sep 12 2012, 06:12 PM)
QUOTE (zappafrank @ Sep 12 2012, 12:08 AM)
We were in section 216 and were bumped to 105

Nice!

How much did you save buying the 216 tix instead of the 105's initially, if you don't mind me asking?

Let's see, my friend bought the tickets at Consol itself, so that eliminated Ticketmaster crap. I ended up giving him $48.25, which I guess was the ticket price + building stuff.

I believe the next price level was $70 or $75, at least?

And the thing about the different in vantage point b/w the 100's and 200's is that there actually is some mid-level between the two (boxes, VIP I guess?), so we went from (almost but not quite) nosebleeds maybe 15 rows uip from the floor. We didn't complain. smile.gif

The Manchester NH show was fine with no venue issues -

By the way that show was full -- pretty much all the way to the top

I dont know how an upgrade is a bad thing -

This is the second thing I read on the empty seats in Pittsburgh -

The bottom line is that we were spoiled with the R30 setlist and the Time Machine setlist . One could even say we are spoiled with the Vapor Trails setlist as well.

I remember the Hold Your Fire tour where with the exception of 2 songs at the beginning and 3 at the end were all new material and Power Windows Material

I will say that I did not need to hear 4 songs from Power Windows -

But I will be attending the Brooklyn and New Jersey shows as well - despite any setlist , because its Rush .

Remember ---- Any Rush is better than no Rush at all !!!!

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Sep 12 2012, 08:35 PM)

Well then it's pretty obvious, you went to the wrong school trink38.gif

QUOTE (vicyyz2 @ Sep 13 2012, 12:44 PM)

I don't think we were spoiled with R30 at all. In fact, I think we weren't given enough history.

There should have been much more throwback than just the intro medley. How exactly do you figure we were spoiled?

If anything, the only other set list in recent memory that had me going "whoa!" was S&A, with the inclusion of Circumstances, Entre Nous, Digital man, A Passage to Bangkok... those were truly deep cuts.

All the other concerts simply had staples that hadn't been played in a while (not that I minded, of course, but I wasn't blown away b/c it was simply a matter of time for them to come back into rotation... S&A truly had "holy shit!" moments).

Snakes and Arrows had great holy sh_ _ moments - you are right - I mentioned Vapor Trailes cause of the encores - By-Tor - Cygnus x-1 - and Working Man - which had not been played in 20 years or more before that point .

Yes R30 could have had vocals in the medleys and maybe one or 2 full deep cuts . The full range of music - something from almost every album - is what did it for me.

But I had little problem with the current setlist .

Oh by the way how do I reference the post I am replying to ? You got it to appear in the box .

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Sep 13 2012, 12:53 PM)

I don't think we were spoiled with R30 at all. In fact, I think we weren't given enough history.

There should have been much more throwback than just the intro medley. How exactly do you figure we were spoiled?

If anything, the only other set list in recent memory that had me going "whoa!" was S&A, with the inclusion of Circumstances, Entre Nous, Digital man, A Passage to Bangkok... those were truly deep cuts.

All the other concerts simply had staples that hadn't been played in a while (not that I minded, of course, but I wasn't blown away b/c it was simply a matter of time for them to come back into rotation... S&A truly had "holy shit!" moments).

Totally agree with you on R30. it was good, not great. in fact, I think Vapor Trails was the best overall setlist since the band came back together in 2002.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 13 2012, 02:10 PM)

Totally agree with you on R30. it was good, not great. in fact, I think Vapor Trails was the best overall setlist since the band came back together in 2002.

(forgot to add Witch Hunt and Mission to the "holy shit!" moments for S&A)

Two of my favorite Rush songs are La Villa Strangiato (which is quite possibly #1, actually) and Vital Signs, so those alone had me pooping my pants in pure joy on the VT tour 1022.gif

But then the inclusion of By-tor and the Snow Dog/Cygnus X-1 sent it over the edge.

And then the inclusion of The Pass and Between Sun and Moon kicked it over the *next* edge.

Had I not already seen Natural Science on the T4E tour (i.e., another complete shocker)... well, I don't think there were any other edges to go over.

Damn, you're right... VT was amazing (and I stand by my belief that RiR is their best live album).

R30 did have its moments, (Between the Wheels, the medley) but aside from that, nothing mind-blowing (The Trees, Mystic Rhythms, and a truncated Xanadu).

If anything, R30 was about Rush celebrating *their* roots, not their own work (as evidenced by Feedback and all of the cover songs).

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Sep 13 2012, 02:26 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 13 2012, 02:10 PM)

(forgot to add Witch Hunt and Mission to the "holy shit!" moments for S&A)

Two of my favorite Rush songs are La Villa Strangiato (which is quite possibly #1, actually) and Vital Signs, so those alone had me pooping my pants in pure joy on the VT tour 1022.gif

But then the inclusion of By-tor and the Snow Dog/Cygnus X-1 sent it over the edge.

And then the inclusion of The Pass and Between Sun and Moon kicked it over the *next* edge.

Had I not already seen Natural Science on the T4E tour (i.e., another complete shocker)... well, I don't think there were any other edges to go over.

Damn, you're right... VT was amazing (and I stand by my belief that RiR is their best live album).

R30 did have its moments, (Between the Wheels, the medley) but aside from that, nothing mind-blowing (The Trees, Mystic Rhythms, and a truncated Xanadu).

If anything, R30 was about Rush celebrating *their* roots, not their own work (as evidenced by Feedback and all of the cover songs).

Vital Signs was amazing, and By-tor blew me away.

Your final sentence regarding R30 and their roots couldnt be more on the money, very well said.

Very disappointed withthis set list. Analog Kid and the Pass are about the only songs I really want to hear, and I get stuck hearing Bravado instead of the Pass. The only song from CA I wanted to hear was 7 Cities of Gold, and guess what...... I get Carnies instead. This set list sucks. Probably going to sell my ticket and go see BC play Hamilton on Friday instead. I think they are over touring and don't care what they are playing as long as it fills the 2 plus hours. SAD

062802puke_prv.gif

Astral Door

Go Lions Go

QUOTE (rayrushray @ Sep 12 2012, 12:48 AM)
The memo is out and the Pittsburgh fans got it.

With an embarrassing curtain around all the unsold cheap seats and a terrible ushering system that forced me to stand in an unwanted line to get "better seats", I missed the first two songs because rush apparently weren't aware most of there fans were faced with this inconvenience.

If only I had refused the upgrade and went to the exits early.

The chances missed in life............sigh.

After going on a tepid run through rarities that left even their hard core fans a little stumped for an answer, the band thankfully adjourned for an intermission that allowed the bored and dreamy a chance to catch up on email.

The break allowed for me to scan the crowd: a good mix of dumbfounded older fans with deep wonder in their eyes and young kids who were mesmerized and taken in by a time machine last time out, only to be hoodwinked in to the current set, that had them hoping that Madonna or Culture Club might appear suddenly and save them from such lameness.

In the highly anticipated second set, the high paying customers were treated to a disorganized group of string players who looked good, and probably would have sounded better if the mixologist would have done his job with a bit more savvy.

As new song after new song was force-fed to the "High-Paying" customers, many in the crowd took extended breaks in the restroom, figuring rightly that security might be better company.

By the time the new songs were lodged in everyone's throats, some real hits were ready to roll.

Like Manhattan Project and Red Sector A....

HUH? What a joke.

To lull a sleepy crowd from their doldrums, a lazy, out of place and momentum lacking YYZ segued into an often repeated reggae version of a very tired Working Man.

Tom Sawyer appeared, without any true swagger, and 2112 was performed like it was a motion a band has to go through.

I can't tell you what the closing video contained, because when disgust sets in, it's better to exit and hope for a safe ride home.

Inconsiderate. Lazy. Thoughtless. Words That I never associated with Rush.

The set, the arrangement, the videos, all of it.

I saw it in the faces of the young and the faces of the old as they high-tailed for the doors, the momentum gained with the Time Machine Tour was lost on the Clockwork Angels Tour.

Spare me all the, "Rush has been around a long time, and they can do what they want"

Now that's whining...........

A set list like this could have been great, if only it would have been plotted instead of mailed in.

Return to Sender.

Bottom Line: This is a terrible show, go and see it at your own risk.

Of course, If insomnia plagues you, I think I have your cure.

Even if I dont agree, that was hilarious (in a tragic way) and well written. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Astral Door @ Sep 13 2012, 06:27 PM)
Very disappointed withthis set list. Analog Kid and the Pass are about the only songs I really want to hear, and I get stuck hearing Bravado instead of the Pass. The only song from CA I wanted to hear was 7 Cities of Gold, and guess what...... I get Carnies instead. This set list sucks. Probably going to sell my ticket and go see BC play Hamilton on Friday instead. I think they are over touring and don't care what they are playing as long as it fills the 2 plus hours. SAD

062802puke_prv.gif

Astral Door

Go Lions Go

I salute you- especially so, since you are Canadian.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 13 2012, 09:07 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Sep 12 2012, 10:04 PM)
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/26662754.jpg

ohmy.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

First of all, that's f'n hilarious.

Second, as I watched the Indy show tonight, the logic of this setlist dawned on me...It comes down to the CA story(the novel). The themes of the songs played line up pretty damn well with the story.

Traffic is starting to move, I'll elaborate later.

Damn good set list in Indy , there are a lot of young people at these Rush gigs who would never have heard all the 80s stuff they are playing , or new fans like me who have never heard it before either , much rather they played this set than just playing the standards they always play, well done Rush well done indeed

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Sep 13 2012, 07:12 AM)

You get to live in Vancouver, Washington....I dislike you. angry.gif (green with envy) wink.gif

Well, our Springs are pretty much non -existent and Summer gets around to showing up about the middle of July (if we're lucky....really!) and both those facts suck big time. I lived in SoCal for 13 years and Spring arrives in mid-Feb. and Summer in early May and I loved it. Rains way too much here too.

On the other hand, we don't have humidity, we don't have to deal with much snow but can still drive a half hour up into the mountains if we want it (and plenty of it usually), get to enjoy year around green beauty as a result of all that rain and maybe most importantly, have some of the best freakin' coffee and some of the best freakin' beer on the planet around pretty much every corner in both Washington and Oregon.

cool.gif trink39.gif

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Sep 14 2012, 03:38 AM)
QUOTE (bigalfan @ Sep 13 2012, 07:12 AM)

Well, our Springs are pretty much non -existent and Summer gets around to showing up about the middle of July (if we're lucky....really!) and both those facts suck big time. I lived in SoCal for 13 years and Spring arrives in mid-Feb. and Summer in early May and I loved it. Rains way too much here too.

On the other hand, we don't have humidity, we don't have to deal with much snow but can still drive a half hour up into the mountains if we want it (and plenty of it usually), get to enjoy year around green beauty as a result of all that rain and maybe most importantly, have some of the best freakin' coffee and some of the best freakin' beer on the planet around pretty much every corner in both Washington and Oregon.

cool.gif trink39.gif

I love that area. Beautiful! Amazing hiking out the wazoo - all season. I know you're probably tired of it, but just Falls Road is stunning to an 'outsider'. The smartest people live in 'Portland North' and take full advantage of the tax situation in both states. Kuddos! BTW, Full Sail may be the most impressive microbrew (like they're really microbrew anymore) tour I've ever taken - along with New Belgium in Ft Collins, CO. That being said, Bridgeport has yet to make a beer I don't like. Hop Czar is king! Cheers!! trink39.gif