Pittbsburgh show didn't sell well?

zappafrank

My group had 4 tix in section 216. When we went to enter to go to our seats, we were told that we'd been upgraded since our section was tarped off.

We ended up getting section 105, so we paid for lowest priced seats but got the next level up!

But we did wonder why so much was tarped off, and it looks like even the nosebleeds that were kept open weren't filled. I'm really at a loss as to why this show might have undersold. Everyone else's loss, who decided not to make it!

Edited by zappafrank

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was at the show tonight and noticed that too.

I was a late decider on going, and was surprised when I got a "cheap seat" ticket also in 105. Now I know why - was probably priced higher earlier. Benefit of waiting until less than a week before, I guess.

Loved the show!

Rush has toured straight from 2010-2012, and they will do 2013,maybe they should have waited till next year, was there more people last time, I heard that kiss, motley and van halen and other older bands had the same problem, ticket prices to high, same with aerosmith last 2 years, they over tour

Checking seats available for Oct.28th concert at the Q in Cleveland, looks like the same pattern. Just the lower bowl selling sad.gif But floor seats appear to be sold out.

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Sep 12 2012, 01:14 AM)
This whole situation (people complaining about the setlist + underselling venues) is making me rather depressed. We might be at the end after 2013 :/

I don't expect this tour to sell as well as the last one for a few reasons:

• TMT was heavily advertised as a nostalgia Moving Picture tour.
  • There was hype (outside usual Rush fan circles) around the time of the TMT tour due to I Love You Man, Between the Lighted Stage, and their appearance on Colbert.
  • They've been touring a lot recently.
IMO, the focus on the synth era will have little effect on ticket sales.

QUOTE (zappafrank @ Sep 11 2012, 10:47 PM)
My group had 4 tix in section 216. When we went to enter to go to our seats, we were told that we'd been upgraded since our section was tarped off.

We ended up getting section 105, so we paid for lowest priced seats but got the next level up!

But we did wonder why so much was tarped off, and it looks like even the nosebleeds that were kept open weren't filled. I'm really at a loss as to why this show might have undersold. Everyone else's loss, who decided not to make it!

I've been to Consol a few times and they usually do this if the bottom section doesn't sell enough and VIP reserved seats aren't claimed, I'm sure it was probably like 55% sold out which is really good these days especially for Rush.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 12 2012, 06:22 AM)
From what I recall, the lawn section in DC was almost completely empty just before showtime, a rare site for bigger acts that play that venue.

Same with Maiden, but it packed up rather nicely around 3 songs in.

Keep this in mind too - at least in Philly, in 2010 they played an outdoor venue with 7,000 seats (plus lawn). I think sales were in the 11,000 range?

This year they are playing a venue with 20,000 seats. I'm guessing about 1/3rd will be blocked off due to being behind the stage, but another couple thousand will set up for the floor seating. So there probably will be empty seats.

When I saw Neil Young at the same venue there were a ton of empty seats. We actually got lost on the way back from the bathroom, and ended up in a front and center 2nd level section that we had almost entirely to ourselves! And I know Neil Young has more fans than Neil Peart.

They should have played Montage Mtn. In Scranton. I've seen them twice there and the seats sold just fine, thank you! yes.gif

We had the same situation last year in Ft.Lauderdale for the opening of the 2nd leg of the tour. The Entire 200 Level was tarped off. In our defense they had came twice to the area already for the Time Machine Tour that year. So it did not sell all that well. They Completely by-passed South Florida this time around only Appearance is Tampa. I guess the Nostalgia for RUSH is wearing off. Hence the reason for this post Signals Setlist. They are really gearing their shows towards the newer and 80's fans now. Sorry 70's RUSH worshipers I think your days are numbered. Just the fact that there are only 5 songs pre-Signals should tell you something.

fists crying.gif

I still think the reality is this. We are in still in challenging times in America. Some areas are more challenged than others.

This is not a referendum against Rush, its a stark reality that clothing your children, paying for health insurance, putting food on the table, paying obscene monthly bills for electronic devises we can't live without, paying over $4.00 a gallon at the pumps, etc....

Look no deeper for answers than this. The people who can budget and afford the money for expensive concerts are very fortunate. If you are one who can, or simply found a way then you are lucky.

Concerts are a luxury, not a necessity.

Consider that Rush has toured multiple times in recent years. Many who can't afford it now have seen them recently and probably are thankful for that memory, and must pass now in favor of keeping there heads above water.

That is my long winded take.

QUOTE (Tick @ Sep 13 2012, 06:56 AM)
I still think the reality is this. We are in still in challenging times in America. Some areas are more challenged than others.

This is not a referendum against Rush, its a stark reality that clothing your children, paying for health insurance, putting food on the table, paying obscene monthly bills for electronic devises we can't live without, paying over $4.00 a gallon at the pumps, etc....

Look no deeper for answers than this. The people who can budget and afford the money for expensive concerts are very fortunate. If you are one who can, or simply found a way then you are lucky.

Consider that Rush has toured multiple times in recent years. Many who can't afford it now have seen them recently and probably are thankful for that memory, and must pass now in favor of keeping there heads above water.

This is actually a very accurate take on why some shows won't sell to well. The fact is, Rush has toured a lot in recent years and the better seats cost somewhere in the $100 dollar range. Not everyone can afford that tour after tour.

I'm seeing them next month when they come here and that will be it for me with this leg. As much as I love them, it's tough to shell out the money to see them multiple times on one tour. If they do another North American run next year, i'll probably try and see them once again but that will be it.

In case anybody is wondering, the show here in Buffalo next month has been selling very well. The last two months or so the best available tickets have been the seats in the top sections of the arena. We didn't get a date for the last tour and it's on a friday, so that probably is helping ticket sales quite a bit. Also, there will no doubt be people coming down from Canada and from various other parts of New York state to see the show to. That also provides a big boost for sales to.

QUOTE (Tick @ Sep 13 2012, 11:56 AM)

Dead right.

It's pretty straight forward. The economy sucks and like a couple people said, if it's a choice between a mortage payment and a concert, even a Rush concert, people need a roof at night and NOT a divorce.

Rush normally plays the largest venues next to stadiums and typically there are 12,000 - 25,000 seats available per show. If they were booked into 6,000 - 8,000 seaters every show would sell out. Then, people would be saying, "Hey, every show is sold out!" I don't think many bands today, accept for the really big bands like, U2, the Stones, etc, sell out all their shows.

FYI, I just checked both Minneapolis and Winnipeg and unless I'm not reading it right, there aren't many seats left for either 17,000 seat hockey arenas.

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Sep 13 2012, 10:27 AM)

Best available was Section 202. Upper bowl, 2/3 of the way back.

Is that the larger bowl? tongue.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Sep 13 2012, 07:05 AM)
Because it's Pittsburgh.

Uh, what?

Neil's 1st show with the band was in Pittsburgh*, and Geddy makes a point to always talk about how important Pittsburgh is for the band and how they've played here more than anywhere else.

* When I saw a screening of Beyond the Lighted Stage, the entire theater erupted in applause when they got to Neil's 1st gig and showed shots of the sorely-missed Civic Arena.