Online collaboration

JARG

First off, great intro (pun intended)! An inspired way to start off the song. I really like the drum pattern in that opening section.

The tempo change going into the verses bugged me at first because I thought it slowed down too much, but on the second listen I liked it better. When it speeds up again it reminded me of old Rush, like first or second album. I'm thinking you weren't trying for that, but that's how it hit me. I liked it -- gave the song a nice kick.

Much of the solo was very Adam Jones-ish to me, and it fit nicely, which is pretty cool considering the song sounds nothing like Tool.

Congrats on finding a good vocalist! Kind of rare in online collabs, at least in the ones I've heard. Did he write the vocal melodies too?

I liked the ending a lot. Guitar sounds are real good, and so is the playing. Overall, it's a solid song.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 12 2012, 08:43 PM)
First off, great intro (pun intended)! An inspired way to start off the song. I really like the drum pattern in that opening section.

The tempo change going into the verses bugged me at first because I thought it slowed down too much, but on the second listen I liked it better. When it speeds up again it reminded me of old Rush, like first or second album. I'm thinking you weren't trying for that, but that's how it hit me. I liked it -- gave the song a nice kick.

Much of the solo was very Adam Jones-ish to me, and it fit nicely, which is pretty cool considering the song sounds nothing like Tool.

Congrats on finding a good vocalist! Kind of rare in online collabs, at least in the ones I've heard. Did he write the vocal melodies too?

I liked the ending a lot. Guitar sounds are real good, and so is the playing. Overall, it's a solid song.

Thanks for listening and the kind review.

Yup, the vocalist came up with his own lyrics and melody.

And I'm glad you mentioned Tool, otherwise I would have had to look up who Adam Jones was! Apart from the pinch harmonics, the solo is simple enough, technique-wise, that a beginner guitarist could do it. I'm trying to work on changing how I think about solos and not worry so much about if they're particularly challenging or not.

As far as the tempo changes go, my band used to do a version of the song where we did kind of a walk-down from the intro tempo to the verse tempo (cuz we weren't good enough to just go from one tempo to the other without someone -- often me -- feeling it differently from everyone else), but I'd always wanted to do the dramatic change that you hear in this version.

QUOTE (JARG @ Sep 10 2012, 02:55 PM)
Here's one of my songs that a buddy from Counterparts contributed lyrics and vocals to.

https://www.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8...68f5e60737d6b9b

Really great job! A love the tone and the note choice on the lead guitar. It sounds out of control and gritty, almost against the key the rhythm is playing in. It sticks out though, in a good way. And then the tempo goes up. Very interesting choices and changes in direction. Gutsy stuff. Second listen and got the tunefullness of it. Favorite section begins at 1:52.