Is 4 and half too young?

marlinsfan

My kids are little Rush heads too. I took three to the Time Machine show in Vegas. They were 11, 9 and 8 at the time. They all loved the show, and did well, BUT....

It was pretty loud. I planned for this and brought ear plugs, but the plugs ended up hurting their ears, and I ended up running up to buy the cheap foam plugs from the vendor stand.

Also, with the shows starting generally around 8pm, and running on the +side of 3 hours, they were really burning out in the second set.

Of the three, the boy (now 10) is the only one I am taking to CA. He did the best, and although he started to wear down at the end, he perked up for Working Man (his favorite song) and is more prepared for the upcoming show.

I would personally not take a 4 1/2 year old. They will not enjoy it past the first hour or so, and you will have a hard time enjoying it as a result.

4-1/2 is way too young. I have a little girl who just turned 4 last week and I would never consider it. Take it from a concerned parent. Hell, I've exposed her to small amounts of Slayer and Metallica (at lower volumes), but a 3 hour rock concert is a whole different matter.

A. Its long

B. Its loud

C. How will he/she see? Put her up on your shoulders and block other peoples' view?

D. A child anywhere near pot smoke is wrong.

E. What if she wants to leave? You have to do what is right.

Take care.

QUOTE (briremo @ Sep 10 2012, 11:43 AM)
QUOTE (marlinsfan @ Sep 10 2012, 08:05 AM)
95% of the time when I have the radio on, I'm listening to RUSH. My 2 kids (4.5 and 6.5 years old) ask for songs by name every time they get in car with me. Some of their favorites: Passage to Bangkok (my train crazy kids all it Train Going to Bangkok), Closer to the Heart, Cindirella Man, Xanadu, The Garden. My older one (the boy) does not like it loud, but my younger daughter keeps saying LOUDER every time we are alone in the car. I have a kick-ass stereo in my car (any other way to listen to the boys?!?).

I have tickets to go with friends to the NJ show on 10/20, and ever since my kids found out, my daughter has said she wants to go. I've talked to the wife about me taking my little girl to the 10/22 in Brooklyn, and she has not said no....

Now, is she too young? I have seen plenty of kids at shows in recent years, but none as young as my little girl. I'm sure she wouldn't last the entire show (her betdtime is 8 pm), so it would kill me to leave the show early, but I'm willing to do it. I also know it will be a battle to put earplugs in her ears.

I should also mention, driving to Brooklyn is at least 1:20 minutes from my house.

What do you all think? yes.gif  no.gif

too young...

I too brought my kids to a show at young ages and as much as they enjoy what daddy likes,

they are too short to see

the music is too loud

they get bored (can your kids do ANYTHING for 3 hours now)

and its way too late for them to be out (at least it was for mine)

my $.02

Yep.

I didn't take my oldest to a 2.gif until she was 10 (this'll be her second tour seeing them).

I love my kids to death but I don't want to have to babysit them at a 2.gif show....I'll do it anywhere else, at any time...but, call me selfish...that's my time.

Thanks everyone for your input. Lots of valid concerns expressed, not the least of which is her safety. I have decided not to take her to the show. Hopefully the boys will keep going for a few more years so she can see them. Although it would have been very special for me to bring her to my 30th show, it's not going to be.

I'm glad I asked for your opinions. I was pretty well settled on bringing her. oops.gif

Now the fun begins. Hunting for an excellent seat up close. Going by myself to this one. Wife is not a fan and has seen them 4 times. She initially said she'd go with me so I don't go alone, then she suggested I spend the money I would've paid for her ticket and the babysitter and get myself as close to the stage as I can 653.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 10 2012, 08:35 AM)
QUOTE (marlinsfan @ Sep 10 2012, 08:05 AM)
95% of the time when I have the radio on, I'm listening to RUSH. My 2 kids (4.5 and 6.5 years old) ask for songs by name every time they get in car with me. Some of their favorites: Passage to Bangkok (my train crazy kids all it Train Going to Bangkok), Closer to the Heart, Cindirella Man, Xanadu, The Garden. My older one (the boy) does not like it loud, but my younger daughter keeps saying LOUDER every time we are alone in the car. I have a kick-ass stereo in my car (any other way to listen to the boys?!?).

I have tickets to go with friends to the NJ show on 10/20, and ever since my kids found out, my daughter has said she wants to go. I've talked to the wife about me taking my little girl to the 10/22 in Brooklyn, and she has not said no....

Now, is she too young? I have seen plenty of kids at shows in recent years, but none as young as my little girl. I'm sure she wouldn't last the entire show (her betdtime is 8 pm), so it would kill me to leave the show early, but I'm willing to do it. I also know it will be a battle to put earplugs in her ears.

I should also mention, driving to Brooklyn is at least 1:20 minutes from my house.

What do you all think? yes.gif  no.gif

Tough one since they are so young with hearing still developing, but at the same time this may be the last chance they ever get to see them.

I would say take them, but with ear plugs. It's borderline child abuse to expose them to that kind of noise for 3 hours.

Not only that but you know they are going to get some good whiffs of weed during the show. Ive smelled it at every Rush show ive been to which is around 17 now I think.

I sat next to a 10 year old at the DC show. He held up pretty well but it was funny hearing him ask his dad, "What's that smell?"

QUOTE (marlinsfan @ Sep 11 2012, 06:58 AM)
[snip]

...she suggested I spend the money I would've paid for her ticket and the babysitter and get myself as close to the stage as I can 653.gif

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! I did this on the last tour for the rescheduled outdoor Chicago show. Scored 2nd row in front of Alex on StubHub 7 days before the concert for much less than 2 tickets plus babysitter.

Good luck!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Sep 11 2012, 01:20 PM)
[snip]

...she suggested I spend the money I would've paid for her ticket and the babysitter and get myself as close to the stage as I can 653.gif

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! I did this on the last tour for the rescheduled outdoor Chicago show. Scored 2nd row in front of Alex on StubHub 7 days before the concert for much less than 2 tickets plus babysitter.

Good luck!

trink39.gif

I never bought a ticket on stubhub. Any tips or suggestions? I looked today and anything close to the stage is around $2000 or more!

QUOTE (marlinsfan @ Sep 11 2012, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Sep 11 2012, 01:20 PM)
[snip]

Good luck!

trink39.gif

I never bought a ticket on stubhub. Any tips or suggestions? I looked today and anything close to the stage is around $2000 or more!

$2K is really steep. How far out is the show? Sellers get more flexible with the price the closer you get to the date, especially if the venue isn't otherwise sold out.

I don't really have any magic tips for working StubHub...that was my one and only purchase from it. Maybe I just got lucky.

If you're willing to take a gamble, I've heard that a venue will sometimes open up great seats day of the show (usually tickets returned from corporate sponsors, radio stations, etc.). Again, I've never done it myself, but if the venue isn't sold out and you know you can always buy a "regular" seat if no great ones are available, that may be another option.

My wife and I took our then 3.5-year-old daughter to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra 2 winters ago. She wore big ear-hugging ear protection (made by 3M, found on Amazon for $8) and absolutely loved it.

As long as you're careful with the ears, there shouldn't be a problem.