Is 4 and half too young?

marlinsfan

95% of the time when I have the radio on, I'm listening to RUSH. My 2 kids (4.5 and 6.5 years old) ask for songs by name every time they get in car with me. Some of their favorites: Passage to Bangkok (my train crazy kids all it Train Going to Bangkok), Closer to the Heart, Cindirella Man, Xanadu, The Garden. My older one (the boy) does not like it loud, but my younger daughter keeps saying LOUDER every time we are alone in the car. I have a kick-ass stereo in my car (any other way to listen to the boys?!?).

I have tickets to go with friends to the NJ show on 10/20, and ever since my kids found out, my daughter has said she wants to go. I've talked to the wife about me taking my little girl to the 10/22 in Brooklyn, and she has not said no....

Now, is she too young? I have seen plenty of kids at shows in recent years, but none as young as my little girl. I'm sure she wouldn't last the entire show (her betdtime is 8 pm), so it would kill me to leave the show early, but I'm willing to do it. I also know it will be a battle to put earplugs in her ears.

I should also mention, driving to Brooklyn is at least 1:20 minutes from my house.

What do you all think? yes.gif no.gif

You may not have another chance to, it seems like the boys are nearing the end with this set.

I say do it! But then again i'm only 7.. I went to my first show when I was 8. Do not let her go without earplugs though. That will murder her fragile little ears. sad.gif

Do it!

I guess it all depends on the child, but 4 1/2 seems too young to me. Listening and liking the songs on the radio is way different from the sensory overload blast she'd get at a concert. From the people to the lights to the volume to the pryo/flashbombs...it may be overwhelming for her. I took my oldest to the TFE show when we was 7 and he barely made it to the intermission.

If I had a vote, I'd say no.

You are going to get enough people here who will reinforce what you really want to do, so I'll be the fly in the soup but tell you why you should not do it.

First, I've done this. Opening night was my son's 2nd show. His first was when he was 8. It was awesome -we had a great time. When I bought seats, I threw back a few sets on the floor (12th row at one point) to specifically get 1st level elevated seats. Luckily I got 1st level on the railing. He was able to see and with so many fans standing, the odds of your girl not being able to see are significant. For his second show (now almost 11) we were on the floor, but I got him on the aisle. He could see, but still, the adults block the view. Earplugs - he was glad to wear them. If your girl will not, it may very well damage her ears. They need to fit - the foam kind probably will not. The moldable kind perhaps.

Consider the sheer number of people in one place. Even at his age, I could not help thinking of what would happen if there was an emergency. I've been to 30+ shows and never seen a crowd rush to the doors, but if it ever happens, a 4.5 yr old will have to be in your arms or on your shoulders. Not good.

You are probably right - she will be asleep before the second set. No spoiler here - maybe you already know the setlist, but you don't want to miss set #2.

It would be different if it were an outdoor venue and you could get lawn seats and sit near an exit. I think there is a decent chance Rush will do a second leg this summer. The outdoor venues are much better all around, IMO.

Good luck with your decision - it's cool you want to share with your kids. Hate to be the downer. I waited on mine and I don't regret it. Have you watched any of the Concert DVD's together?

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Sep 10 2012, 08:32 AM)
I guess it all depends on the child, but 4 1/2 seems too young to me. Listening and liking the songs on the radio is way different from the sensory overload blast she'd get at a concert. From the people to the lights to the volume to the pryo/flashbombs...it may be overwhelming for her. I took my oldest to the TFE show when we was 7 and he barely made it to the intermission.

If I had a vote, I'd say no.

goodpost.gif This.

QUOTE (marlinsfan @ Sep 10 2012, 08:05 AM)
95% of the time when I have the radio on, I'm listening to RUSH. My 2 kids (4.5 and 6.5 years old) ask for songs by name every time they get in car with me. Some of their favorites: Passage to Bangkok (my train crazy kids all it Train Going to Bangkok), Closer to the Heart, Cindirella Man, Xanadu, The Garden. My older one (the boy) does not like it loud, but my younger daughter keeps saying LOUDER every time we are alone in the car. I have a kick-ass stereo in my car (any other way to listen to the boys?!?).

I have tickets to go with friends to the NJ show on 10/20, and ever since my kids found out, my daughter has said she wants to go. I've talked to the wife about me taking my little girl to the 10/22 in Brooklyn, and she has not said no....

Now, is she too young? I have seen plenty of kids at shows in recent years, but none as young as my little girl. I'm sure she wouldn't last the entire show (her betdtime is 8 pm), so it would kill me to leave the show early, but I'm willing to do it. I also know it will be a battle to put earplugs in her ears.

I should also mention, driving to Brooklyn is at least 1:20 minutes from my house.

Tough one since they are so young with hearing still developing, but at the same time this may be the last chance they ever get to see them.

I would say take them, but with ear plugs. It's borderline child abuse to expose them to that kind of noise for 3 hours.

Not only that but you know they are going to get some good whiffs of weed during the show. Ive smelled it at every Rush show ive been to which is around 17 now I think.

Bad idea for a multitude of reasons. Do you want a child that young around that much dope and alcohol. "what's that smell mommy?"

Seemed to me last night a lot of people were toking up. It's not an environment for a 4 year old, WAAAAYYYYYY too young...couldn't imagine bringing a child of four years old to a place so loud. dazed025.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 10 2012, 08:37 AM)
Bad idea for a multitude of reasons. Do you want a child that young around that much dope and alcohol. "what's that smell mommy?"

Seemed to me last night a lot of people were toking up. It's not an environment for a 4 year old, WAAAAYYYYYY too young...couldn't imagine bringing a child of four years old to a place so loud. dazed025.gif

I went to my first show (Power Windows) when I was 9. I think by that age its not that big of a deal, but 4.5 years old is pushing it big time.

The weed they will be inhaling, the noise even with ear plugs will be crazy, especially if its in an indoor area with a closed roof. Outdoors is not nearly as loud.

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 10 2012, 08:39 AM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 10 2012, 08:37 AM)

Seemed to me last night a lot of people were toking up. It's not an environment for a 4 year old, WAAAAYYYYYY too young...couldn't imagine bringing a child of four years old to a place so loud.  dazed025.gif

I went to my first show (Power Windows) when I was 9. I think by that age its not that big of a deal, but 4.5 years old is pushing it big time.

The weed they will be inhaling, the noise even with ear plugs will be crazy, especially if its in an indoor area with a closed roof. Outdoors is not nearly as loud.

I'm honestly asking myself why would anybody even have to ask this question? It's no place for a youngster at all angry.gif

I was 8 when i saw my first concert (Kiss and AC/DC in 1978) and I'm sure there was more smoking and drinking going on then. I turned out ok. Rush shows are good environments for the most part and the fans are mostly good people. I have seen WAY more bad behavior at sporting events than Rush shows over the years and people seem to have no issue with their children at those.

Earplugs are probably a good idea. I never used them as a kid and saw Kiss, Jethro Tull, Bad Company, Ted Nugent and others in the 70s to no adverse effect but we know better now don't we?

All that said 4 is probably too young to get anything out of the experience and they'd probably be happier at Chuck E Cheese but obviously it's your child and your call. Do what YOU think is right.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Sep 10 2012, 09:13 AM)
But then again i'm only 7.. I went to my first show when I was 8.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/Huh.jpg

4 1/2 is too young IMO. I would think it's too loud for their delicate ears, even with hearing protection. They would almost have to wear over the ear protection like shooters do that block out most all of the sound. If that's the case...what's the point?

I'm not even sure a 4 1/2 year old could sit still for that long..

QUOTE (marlinsfan @ Sep 10 2012, 05:05 AM)

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

I'd drive to the next states or Northern CA to see these guys, don't worry about the distance. Maybe you can get a hotel to stay in? What an awesome experience for you to have with your daughter!

I have seen kids at concerts, just make sure she has proper ear protection a Rush shirt, and a seat close to the aisle for potty breaks, she will be good to go.

too young...

I too brought my kids to a show at young ages and as much as they enjoy what daddy likes,

they are too short to see

the music is too loud

they get bored (can your kids do ANYTHING for 3 hours now)

and its way too late for them to be out (at least it was for mine)

my $.02

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 10 2012, 08:35 AM)

What do you all think? yes.gif  no.gif

Tough one since they are so young with hearing still developing, but at the same time this may be the last chance they ever get to see them.

I would say take them, but with ear plugs. It's borderline child abuse to expose them to that kind of noise for 3 hours.

Not only that but you know they are going to get some good whiffs of weed during the show. Ive smelled it at every Rush show ive been to which is around 17 now I think.

You should know Tiny Tim, how old are you 6?

QUOTE (Alph Seeker @ Sep 10 2012, 09:32 AM)
You are going to get enough people here who will reinforce what you really want to do, so I'll be the fly in the soup but tell you why you should not do it.

First, I've done this.  Opening night was my son's 2nd show.  His first was when he was 8.  It was awesome -we had a great time.  When I bought seats, I threw back a few sets on the floor (12th row at one point) to specifically get 1st level elevated seats.  Luckily I got 1st level on the railing.  He was able to see and with so many fans standing, the odds of your girl not being able to see are significant.  For his second show (now almost 11) we were on the floor, but I got him on the aisle.  He could see, but still, the adults block the view.  Earplugs - he was glad to wear them.  If your girl will not, it may very well damage her ears.  They need to fit - the foam kind probably will not.  The moldable kind perhaps.

Consider the sheer number of people in one place.  Even at his age, I could not help thinking of what would happen if there was an emergency.  I've been to 30+ shows and never seen a crowd rush to the doors, but if it ever happens, a 4.5 yr old will have to be in your arms or on your shoulders.  Not good.

You are probably right - she will be asleep before the second set.  No spoiler here - maybe you already know the setlist, but you don't want to miss set #2.

It would be different if it were an outdoor venue and you could get lawn seats and sit near an exit.  I think there is a decent chance Rush will do a second leg this summer.  The outdoor venues are much better all around, IMO.

Good luck with your decision - it's cool you want to share with your kids.  Hate to be the downer.  I waited on mine and I don't regret it.  Have you watched any of the Concert DVD's together?

bekloppt.gif Hey Alph Seeker. How'd you guys like the Manchester show? A little better commute for you I suspect.

Outdoors i think you are good to go. I think it's way to young for arena shows .

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 10 2012, 12:07 PM)
Outdoors i think you are good to go. I think it's way to young for arena shows .

goodpost.gif

Agreed, arena shows are so loud, and often very hot.

I also don't think ear plugs would even be suitable enough.

I do applaud you wanting to share this experience with your kids.

I think MetalDad is right, I'd wait until the next tour and they do pavillion gigs like PNC, etc.