Why many fans love the setlist

FountainOfSyrinx

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Sep 9 2012, 10:57 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Sep 9 2012, 10:54 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Sep 9 2012, 10:48 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Sep 9 2012, 10:27 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Sep 9 2012, 10:20 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Sep 9 2012, 10:16 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Sep 9 2012, 10:14 PM)
"I like the setlist because it is unexpected."

wtf.gif

NO negativity!!!

Not negativity, just confusion.

hug2.gif

"Someone slashed my tires? How unexpected! This is great!"

"My girlfriend just dumped me completely out of the blue? Awesome!"

I don't get the mindset.

we're trying to maintain a constructive environment. wink.gif

Can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs!

we're letting ReflectedLight do that elsewhere laugh.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been able to post on the boards for a few days now but I've been following everything pretty much since the tour opener live updates on Friday.

First, I have to say that I am mighty disappointed but not at RUSH. It's at the "fans" that are saying that somehow the guys are lazy (gtfo) or that they played it safe (what???) I know we may not all agree on everything RUSH do, or every single song on the setlist but wow holy shit isn't this a RUSH fan board?

If you don't want to be here, Bieber.com is thataway.

ranton.gif

First of all, the setlist is AMAZING. Finally after many tours of having 1 or 2 songs from the synth era they bust out 4 from Power Windows alone. f**k yes!! the 80's were an important and IMO oft-overlooked period of RUSH's career and I for one am extremely pleased they've gone and done this!

The show's format is way different: Not 1 but 3 drum solos? A shorter 1st set, a massive 2nd set, and a 2 song encore? RUSH mix it up yet again cool.gif

All I hear is "Geddy's voice sounds like shit" but in the next breath "RUSH sucks, they never play Hemispheres, FOL, or Something for Nothing anymore!" So if they were to bust these songs out and destroy what's left of Geddy's voice for good would that make you happier??

This is a set that seems to be specifically aimed at US. You know, the REAL FANS. How many of you have vainly posted "Set Wishlists" before each tour with things like "Middletown Dreams", "The Body Electric" or "Grand Designs" knowing that chances are they won't be on there. RUSH have gone and added a lot of these very songs to the set now, just for you! This set took MEGA BALLS for RUSH to make for us, so be happy about it, man!

THIS IS A SHOW THAT DOESN'T HAVE MANY OF THE STAPLES THAT YOU ALL CLAIM TO BE SICK OF. And now, I'm seeing the same people complain that the staples are missing? Jesus H Lifeson, you're sending a mixed message for the ages so pick a side comp26.gif

And if that wasn't enough, RUSH go an make an alternate set that changes up what 6 or 7 songs? When's the last time they've ever done that? That's more changes than the 2nd leg of the S&A tour got. A 2nd leg. And now they're changing it up nightly. Thank your stars, what the hell?

rantoff.gif

FOH Lights, Likeclockwork, or any of the guys in the know: If you read this and have any pull or say or whatever please let the guys know that their hard work is fully appreciated by this longtime RUSH fan and that this is the most excited I've been in a long time to see a RUSH concert. Both sets are incredible and I can't wait to be a part of it!

GOOD JOB RUSH!!!!

2.gif

^^^ What DD said.

This is the Rush of my high school - college - early 20's. Love the setlist.

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 10 2012, 07:41 AM)
^^^ What DD said.

This is the Rush of my high school - college - early 20's. Love the setlist.

Can I tell you how bad I wanted to get to work today just to have my say this morning? This was bothering me all weekend laugh.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Sep 10 2012, 07:42 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 10 2012, 07:41 AM)
^^^ What DD said. 

This is the Rush of my high school - college - early 20's.  Love the setlist.

Can I tell you how bad I wanted to get to work today just to have my say this morning? This was bothering me all weekend laugh.gif

Welcome to the positive people thread. biggrin.gif

It's anything but a lazy setlist. They relearned a ton of old songs they haven't touched in YEARS, learned an entire new album's worth of material, and had to get it tight enough to be able to have 8 more musicians follow along for half the set. In what... 45 days? That's the exact opposite of lazy!

I also haven't seen anybody mention that they also played 2 of the top 10 songs on the rushpetition website (manhattan project & middletown dreams). So nobody can argue that they're not listening to the fans to some extent. You guys voted for the songs! Now you're complaining that they're playing them?

(It's also probably my favorite setlist they've ever done!)

It's anything but lazy. Playing those synth era songs is no walk in the park and the reason they scaled back not only with the keys but also the compositions over the last half dozen records. I get the disappointment for some. I do. We all have our favorite songs, albums, eras...but to call playing Grand Designs lazy is just a cop out because it's not some other song.

It was pretty much spot on for me. As another poster mentioned, they have avoided Power Windows and Hold Your Fire like leprosy since the 90s until Mission came back and then Marathon last tour. PW was my first tour and I have a lot of love for that and HYF so it was a blessing to see those songs again. Another thing that made it a winner was it was my son's first concert and he knows Rush from Clockwork Angels. Not only did he get to see all the music that he was familiar with in the second set but also got to experience the Rush that turned me into a lifelong fan in the first set.

BIG score guys. Thanks from 2 generations of humble fans.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Sep 10 2012, 08:28 AM)
I haven't been able to post on the boards for a few days now but I've been following everything pretty much since the tour opener live updates on Friday.

First, I have to say that I am mighty disappointed but not at RUSH. It's at the "fans" that are saying that somehow the guys are lazy (gtfo) or that they played it safe (what???) I know we may not all agree on everything RUSH do, or every single song on the setlist but wow holy shit isn't this a RUSH fan board?

If you don't want to be here, Bieber.com is thataway.

ranton.gif

First of all, the setlist is AMAZING. Finally after many tours of having 1 or 2 songs from the synth era they bust out 4 from Power Windows alone. f**k yes!! the 80's were an important and IMO oft-overlooked period of RUSH's career and I for one am extremely pleased they've gone and done this!

The show's format is way different: Not 1 but 3 drum solos? A shorter 1st set, a massive 2nd set, and a 2 song encore? RUSH mix it up yet again  cool.gif

All I hear is "Geddy's voice sounds like shit" but in the next breath "RUSH sucks, they never play Hemispheres, FOL, or Something for Nothing anymore!" So if they were to bust these songs out and destroy what's left of Geddy's voice for good would that make you happier??

This is a set that seems to be specifically aimed at US. You know, the REAL FANS. How many of you have vainly posted "Set Wishlists" before each tour with things like "Middletown Dreams", "The Body Electric" or "Grand Designs" knowing that chances are they won't be on there. RUSH have gone and added a lot of these very songs to the set now, just for you! This set took MEGA BALLS for RUSH to make for us, so be happy about it, man!

THIS IS A SHOW THAT DOESN'T HAVE MANY OF THE STAPLES THAT YOU ALL CLAIM TO BE SICK OF. And now, I'm seeing the same people complain that the staples are missing? Jesus H Lifeson, you're sending a mixed message for the ages so pick a side  comp26.gif

And if that wasn't enough, RUSH go an make an alternate set that changes up what 6 or 7 songs? When's the last time they've ever done that? That's more changes than the 2nd leg of the S&A tour got. A 2nd leg. And now they're changing it up nightly. Thank your stars, what the hell?

rantoff.gif

FOH Lights, Likeclockwork, or any of the guys in the know: If you read this and have any pull or say or whatever please let the guys know that their hard work is fully appreciated by this longtime RUSH fan and that this is the most excited I've been in a long time to see a RUSH concert. Both sets are incredible and I can't wait to be a part of it!

GOOD JOB RUSH!!!!
2.gif

goodpost.gif Nicely stated DD.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (bmorechowder @ Sep 10 2012, 08:25 AM)
It's anything but lazy. Playing those synth era songs is no walk in the park and the reason they scaled back not only with the keys but also the compositions over the last half dozen records. I get the disappointment for some. I do. We all have our favorite songs, albums, eras...but to call playing Grand Designs lazy is just a cop out because it's not some other song.

It was pretty much spot on for me. As another poster mentioned, they have avoided Power Windows and Hold Your Fire like leprosy since the 90s until Mission came back and then Marathon last tour. PW was my first tour and I have a lot of love for that and HYF so it was a blessing to see those songs again. Another thing that made it a winner was it was my son's first concert and he knows Rush from Clockwork Angels. Not only did he get to see all the music that he was familiar with in the second set but also got to experience the Rush that turned me into a lifelong fan in the first set.

I wish they would have played something less predictable on HYF than force 10. Maybe Prime mover or open secrets

QUOTE (av450 @ Sep 11 2012, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (bmorechowder @ Sep 10 2012, 08:25 AM)

I wish they would have played something less predictable on HYF than force 10. Maybe Prime mover or open secrets

Turn The Page and Prime Mover would be at the top of my list these days.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Sep 11 2012, 09:49 PM)
The latter half of the second set is blah after Middletown and Manhattan. It's as if they ran out of imagination.

Positives only.. wink.gif

QUOTE (ZachenFoot @ Sep 11 2012, 11:25 PM)
I was really hoping we'd see Lock And Key or Open Secrets from HYF. But I have never seen Force Ten live so I am stoked for that regardless!

Me too! I saw it live when I was 9... on R:30, but don't remember it at all..

I really enjoyed a chance to hear live some songs I'm less familiar with. It seems that every Rush tour there's a song or two that I didn't care for on the record that I end up liking or loving, and after seeing only one show so far this has already happened with three songs. I love discovering Rush songs that I had previously overlooked or hadn't gotten into, and frankly, as much as I enjoyed hearing the old standbys on the past few tours, the freshness of the set was a startling pleasure for me. The band seemed to really dig it, too, and anything that ups their enjoyment level definitely ups mine.

I love 2.gif !

Edited by GeddysMullet