Why So many are pissed and/or saying WTF

LotusLand

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 9 2012, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Sep 9 2012, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 9 2012, 08:26 PM)
QUOTE (LotusLand @ Sep 9 2012, 08:17 PM)

So much to pick from, so many songs that could have been "in your face" and we get, Big Money, Force 10, Bravado, Red Sector A, and a few other has beens.

and lets not forget the in your face rocker, the body electric. sarcasm.gif

Does everything need to be a "in your face rocker"?

no but there are so many better choices out there. kid gloves and the enemy within would have been a ton better. the body electric is a weak track.

I agree with you with that. I'd prefer The Enemy Within any day over The Body Electric, but oh well.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 9 2012, 09:40 PM)
QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Sep 9 2012, 10:35 PM)

Also, I've read that people who want Natural Science to be played again or La Villa. While both are excellent and I would love to see them, both have been played live fairly frequently in this modern era. The Analog Kid, Grand Designs, Middletown Dreams, The Body Electric, Where's My Thing, Territories, etc. haven't been played in almost 20 years or more. Let other fans have their moment.

I can agree with this. Force 10, Bravado, Dreamline and a couple others dont fit into this idea (IMO).

Oh, of course. I'm not disputing that with those songs. Just saying there are a lot of rarities this time around that haven't been played in ages.

Edited by GUP1771

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 9 2012, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Sep 9 2012, 09:35 PM)

So much to pick from, so many songs that could have been "in your face" and we get, Big Money, Force 10, Bravado, Red Sector A, and a few other has beens.

Does everything need to be a "in your face rocker"?

no but there are so many better choices out there. kid gloves and the enemy within would have been a ton better. the body electric is a weak track.

Kid Gloves... I'd attempt to fight one of those UFC guys for a minute if it meant that later, after I get out of the hospital, Rush would play that song live.

I agree with the OP about Red Sector A, Bravado, Big Money, Force 10 and I'll even throw in there Dreamilne and The Pass from set "B"....Seen 'em too many times to be excited about them.

I'll even agree with the lazy set selection comment, but WTF, I'm just a jaded old geezer who really wants a show of all "B" sides like Lerxst mentioned a couple of years ago.

I'm still gonna go to the show, and I'm still gonna have fun though.

Rush should do what iron maiden does,for rush r40, they should play all of "exit stage left" album and tour. That will make a lot of people happy, It worked for iron maiden, they played their entire 1984 tour in 2006, a lot of classics on that one, and right now their playing their entire 1988 tour, what a way to play your greatest hits. Rush played their greatest hits package last year for TMT. rush and iron maiden are are lot a like, smart business man, they keep us wanting more.That's why there still around. 653.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif biggrin.gif 2.gif popcorn.gif

Come on Rush.....Lazy. 
QUOTE (LotusLand @ Sep 9 2012, 09:08 PM)
What is happening here is pure laziness
QUOTE (LotusLand @ Sep 9 2012, 09:08 PM)
This is just a lazy way out at this point in their careers

Yes it's astonishing that while you've been selflessly and tireless slaving away at your keyboard posting on message forums, a band of almost 60 year olds is lazily relearning all these songs that haven't been played in 20-28 years while also practicing ten new songs, creating new videos, putting together a new light show, and playing three hour sets.

Thanks for all your time and effort! You've opened my eyes to just how lazy the band is.

QUOTE (xx2112xx @ Sep 9 2012, 08:35 PM)

What's funny about this is they dropped such staples as Freewill, Trees, Closer to the Heart, and a little known song called Limelight.

Dropping songs that your oldest fans love is indeed a bold move.

But so is going off Niagara Falls in a barrel.

biggrin.gif Like many, I am happy with the set lists, as they offer a little mix.

The one minor complaint I have(and you guys and girls can call me right or wrong)

1) During the Time Machine Tour, all of my friends organized our young sons and daughters and took them to the show and they absolutely loved it.

2)Now, I think the kids will enjoy this new show, and as fathers we can encourage evolution, but the lack of familiar material might cause some attention span issues during the set.

3)I know, I know....all of you will say, "If they love Rush, they love Rush, period." but all of us parents know there is more to it than that.

4) I guess my "whine" would be, in a time when Rush seems to be resonating more with young fans, wouldn't it be better that they Navigate there era's by plotting the set list better?

In any event, I enjoy therushforum and respect all opinions.

Before all of the Rush fans get stupid and everything, let me explain. I have been to nearly 60 shows, and I will be at 3-4 more this year as well. I am the fan that likes it all they have produced......I am the guy who takes several days of vacation and sees 5-6 shows a tour. I am the guy who loves everyting about Rush and ALL periods.

This is a lazy setlist. Period. It is not that they are not good songs, IT IS WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN. The greatest band of all time brings in strings, and jumps the shark in my opinion, and does not play Losing It? Whether you like the song or not, it is set up on a tee for a home run.

Red Sector A, Bravado, Big Money, Force 10, I'm sorry these are has been songs that have been played soooooo many times. Quite frankly, there are not very difficult to play as well. That is why I say a lazy setlist. This is a setlist that has no courage. Playing songs they have sooo many times in the past that are easy to play. We have not even mentioned that Territories and Manhatten Project have been played NUMEOUS times. I'm sorry, Territories is just a bad concert song. Now throw in Dreamline and The Pass? All we are missing is Roll The Bones again. Come on Rush.....Lazy. Again, it is not that there are not great songs. I know, they have to the right to play what they want. I know, don't go if you don't like it.....I have heard it all. I will be there. They really missed this one. They could have had this setlist by the balls.

What could have been is why you have so many people pissed. I am not even counting the old staples.

NO COURAGE IN THESE SELECTIONS.

Clockwork Angels is a terrific effort. If it was in 1982, we would've have been talking about it like Moving Pictures. Halo effect and The Garden are not concert songs for a band like Rush.

This setlist just dissapoints in so many ways. Not the quality of the song, but what could've been. Yes, I will be there. Yes, I have spent 1,500 on tickets for 3 shows already.

ps Grand Designs is very good in concert. Analog Kid has tons of energy.

I think the show in Manchester ended prematurely, apparently they were supposed to finish with Temples of Syrinx. I do feel kind of Gypped. The show was great, but I agree they shied away from more challenging material. The crowd was fairly lame as well. I think some heavier tunes (animate, malignant narcissism, natural science, cygnus) during the second set would have really livened things up. Most new (young) Rush fans fall in love with the early, heavier stuff and I'm sure they felt let down. That being said I still enjoyed the hell out of seeing the opening night of the tour.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 9 2012, 08:30 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Sep 9 2012, 08:27 PM)

hahaha you are more of a troll than trollduck laugh.gif

that's my opinion dude. hey i like i think i'm going bald, tai shan, high water, and dog years. you must be a troll if you don't like all of those songs. sarcasm.gif

I think Body Electric is probably the worst Rush song ever. It sounded so dated and boring. I would have rather heard Middletown Dreams, which is its new replacement. I hope next summer we get a setlist with some BALLS!

QUOTE (andrewm @ Sep 10 2012, 08:35 AM)
Before all of the Rush fans get stupid and everything, let me explain.  I have been to nearly 60 shows, and I will be at 3-4 more this year as well.  I am the fan that likes it all they have produced......I am the guy who takes several days of vacation and sees 5-6 shows a tour.  I am the guy who loves everyting about Rush and ALL periods. 

This is a lazy setlist.  Period.  It is not that they are not good songs, IT IS WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN.  The greatest band of all time brings in strings, and jumps the shark in my opinion, and does not play Losing It?  Whether you like the song or not, it is set up on a tee for a home run. 

Red Sector A, Bravado, Big Money, Force 10, I'm sorry these are has been songs that have been played soooooo many times.  Quite frankly, there are not very difficult to play as well.  That is why I say a lazy setlist.  This is a setlist that has no courage.  Playing songs they have sooo many times in the past that are easy to play.  We have not even mentioned that Territories and Manhatten Project have been played NUMEOUS times.  I'm sorry, Territories is just a bad concert song.  Now throw in Dreamline and The Pass?  All we are missing is Roll The Bones again.  Come on Rush.....Lazy.  Again, it is not that there are not great songs.  I know, they have to the right to play what they want.  I know, don't go if you don't like it.....I have heard it all.  I will be there.  They really missed this one.  They could have had this setlist by the balls.

What could have been is why you have so many people pissed.  I am not even counting the old staples. 

NO COURAGE IN THESE SELECTIONS.

Clockwork Angels is a terrific effort.  If it was in 1982, we would've have been talking about it like Moving Pictures.  Halo effect and The Garden are not concert songs for a band like Rush. 

This setlist just dissapoints in so many ways.  Not the quality of the song, but what could've been.  Yes, I will be there.  Yes, I have spent 1,500 on tickets for 3 shows already.   

ps  Grand Designs is very good in concert.  Analog Kid has tons of energy.

I think the show in Manchester ended prematurely, apparently they were supposed to finish with Temples of Syrinx. I do feel kind of Gypped. The show was great, but I agree they shied away from more challenging material. The crowd was fairly lame as well. I think some heavier tunes (animate, malignant narcissism, natural science, cygnus) during the second set would have really livened things up. Most new (young) Rush fans fall in love with the early, heavier stuff and I'm sure they felt let down. That being said I still enjoyed the hell out of seeing the opening night of the tour.

Nope, they're switching between Spirit of Radio and 2112 as the last song from night to night. They didn't cut anything short, you just went to the wrong show smile.gif

We have not even mentioned that Territories and Manhatten Project have been played NUMEOUS times.

What the hell are you talking about? Neither of these songs have been played in 20 plus years. You're making it sound like they're set regulars. I have no problem if you think that they missed an opportunity to do something special here, but to call a set that features a handful of songs that haven't been played in over 20 years "lazy" is a bit much.

You and I differ on what we consider a lazy set. My view of a lazy set would be if they played the first four off Moving Pictures, CTTH, The Trees, Dreamline, RTB, La Villa, Freewill, DEW, Subdivisions and whatever other big hit songs that have been regulars for so many tours. I don't think this set is lazy, in fact I think it's very ballsy of them. To drop a number of their more well known songs and concert staples in favor of doing songs that haven't been played in ages and playing nine new songs in a row takes a lot of courage for a band to do. Especally when the bulk of the audience are there to hear the radio hits. The move may come off as a bit selfish but I can't agree with you on this set being lazy and lacking courage in anyway trink39.gif