Rush burns us again

tullfan

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been with rush since 73 when the first record came out...

got to finally see them in 81, and havent missed a tour since...

this is my favorite rush setlist of all the yrs i have seen them...

why?

because it isnt full of the same songs i have been hearing live since 81, it is a fresh set, with lots of deep cuts...

i think i would have been given the middle finger more if i went to a show with the same ole same ole set, heavy on moving pictures/permanent waves era songs...

the songs are fresh, the lightening/screen images are fresh and even neil has a new drum solo for this tour...

i have seen two shows on the tour, and everyone i went to the shows with, or hooked up with after loved the current setlist...

rush is evolving and breaking out of the mold...

too bad many of their fans are unable to do the same...

peace

QUOTE (jymyben @ Sep 22 2012, 11:36 AM)

why?

because it isnt full of the same songs i have been hearing live since 81, it is a fresh set, with lots of deep cuts...

i think i would have been given the middle finger more if i went to a show with the same ole same ole set, heavy on moving pictures/permanent waves era songs...

the songs are fresh, the lightening/screen images are fresh and even neil has a new drum solo for this tour...

i have seen two shows on the tour, and everyone i went to the shows with, or hooked up with after loved the current setlist...

peace

goodpost.gif

I've seen a fraction of the tours that you have, but I agree completely!

2.gif

QUOTE (jymyben @ Sep 22 2012, 12:36 PM)

why?

peace

Awesome post.

Seems to me like they did take 45 minutes out of the setlist to play some older, rarely heard material.

ITS CALLED THE FIRST SET OF THIS SHOW!! I'm actually amazed at the amount of people okay with this set. I thought I'd hear alot more complaining since its the 80s "keyboard' material.

They can't play the 70s material anymore. They probably don't want to play it either.

Get. Over. It.

why?

peace

Best post I've read in the ongoing bitchfest about the setlist! I couldn't agree more. While I love Freewill, Limelight, etc. that so many are complaining about not hearing, I've been watching them play those songs for 30 years now. I'm ecstatic about getting to see them play things I never expected to see them play again.

As for them not being "able to play the 70's material"...that's a bit if a stretch isn't it? They are playing as good as ever, and I'm sure they would have no trouble playing any of their older, more "complicated" material. Now whether Geddy can sing it....that's another story.

why?

peace

Post of the YEAR!!

Have to agree, it's a great setlist. looking at the YouTube clips, I'm not sure what would be dropped, Clockwork Angels is a brilliant album, for me its one of the 5 Rush albums that I like the most (Hemispheres, Waves, Pictures and Windows being the other 4). So an hour of CA is fine with me.

Additionally, Subdivisions, Big Money, Force 10, YYZ, Spirit of Radio / Working Man, Tom Sawyer, 2112 is around 45 minutes worth of well known stuff.

Also, looking at the tour cover there's definitely a Signals / Synth era theme also being celebrated in conjunction with CA which for me started with Signals in 1982 and peaked with Power Windows in 1985, so to go back 27-30 years and play around 45 minutes worth of that era makes perfect sense.

Overall though, I've looked at dozens of YouTube clips of this tour so far and there is just so much energy and enthusiasm at these shows, the setlist looks and sounds fantastic.

I legitimately feel sorry for Rush "fans" that can't appreciate the post-prog stuff. Those types of people are barely Rush fans, they're fans of 5 or 6 albums that Rush did. Power Windows is one of my favorite albums of any band, and I feel blessed to hear so much of it. Guess I'm just lucky.

why?

peace

I thought the first album came out in 74

why?

peace

Agree and thought the show and setlist was one of the best and the best in recent tours. Im over 50 and you know what I cant stand anymore? The endless classic rock stations that are on the radio. Tired old songs. Still love them but dont want to hear them that much anymore. Guess that happens when your older. Everyday you listen to a classic rock station what songs are you just about guaranteed to hear......Bohemian Rhapsody, Sweet emotion, More than a feeling, Tom Sayer, EVERY STINKIN DAY! lol!!

New fresh stuff is great for ears that have heard the same old same old for so long......great setlist new recording and show Rush guys!!!

QUOTE (av450 @ Sep 22 2012, 09:06 PM)

why?

peace

I thought the first album came out in 74

you're right...

i get that messed up quite often...

rush started getting played on the radio here when i was in sixth grade, and i went into sixth grade in 73...

i forget to take into account it was 74 when i finished that grade, and bought the album that summer...

workingman and train kept a rolling by aerosmith are the soundtrack for that time in school, and due to fuzzy memory i think both songs were around for the entire 6th grade period and not just the latter part of that grade....

I was able to google the set list before I went and was super happy about what they played. I've heard the early stuff played so much that I was happy to hear these songs. Oh, and they don't owe you a thing. Like someone else said, worst kind of fan.

Let me call you an wahhhhbulance... Get over it. I am sorry some people find the 80's stuff too sophisticated to handle. Power Windows is outstanding... Signals? Grace Under Pressure? Get out! Every Rush album is outstanding... 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's... Can you read that? 5 decades to choose from. I will take anything they play from any decade. The new album is incredible. So do everyone here a favor, if you don't have anything good to say about Rush these days, go away. It makes it much better for us true Rush fans!

QUOTE (GuitarPlyr01 @ Sep 22 2012, 03:10 PM)

They can't play the 70s material anymore. They probably don't want to play it either.

I've heard this b.s. a few times, and that Geddy can't sing this or that song anymore.

What a load of crap!!

They FRIGGIN' NAIL 2112 - Overture, Temples, and Grand Finale -- on this tour. Geddy is in full-form.

They can play anything they want.

Geddy can still sing any RUSH song he wants.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Sep 26 2012, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (GuitarPlyr01 @ Sep 22 2012, 03:10 PM)

They can't play the 70s material anymore.  They probably don't want to play it either. 

I've heard this b.s. a few times, and that Geddy can't sing this or that song anymore.

What a load of crap!!

They FRIGGIN' NAIL 2112 - Overture, Temples, and Grand Finale -- on this tour. Geddy is in full-form.

They can play anything they want.

Geddy can still sing any RUSH song he wants.

It doesn't mean he'll sing it well. Tuning on 2112 has an impact on how he sings it.

I'm glad they dropped much of the 70's stuff...I want the new shit because it's better than a LOT of the older material.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 26 2012, 08:18 PM)
How is thread still around??? confused13.gif wtf.gif

I think it deserves to stay up. I agree with everything this thread author said. Rush basically said "F*** you" to ALL of their 70s fans and now we're left with a whole lot of s*** from their lowest period in their career.

Red Sector A? Really? GTFO

QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Sep 27 2012, 12:14 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 26 2012, 08:18 PM)
How is thread still around??? confused13.gif wtf.gif

I think it deserves to stay up.

Yes, it should keep going.

It's important for good Rush fans to see how bad Rush fans act. Good Rush fans should see how the other half lives - as childish, petty, self-centered brats who throw tantrums every single time the band goes on tour.

WAHHHHH!!!! THEY DIDN'T PLAY MY FAVORITE SONG!!!!

WAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! I HATE THE SET LIST, MOMMY!!!! MAKE THEM CHANGE IT!!!!!

fists crying.gif fists crying.gif fists crying.gif