Rush burns us again

tullfan

tullfan, Im guessing you spelled your name wrong (no cap on the "T"). How old are you??? If I am correct, you sound like an old time fan, if that is the case you should have seen them plenty of times to hear your "70's set list. This is not then.... this is now!!!... I cant believe I wasted this much time on you.... Then again, I have been a long time paying fan.... and hae seen the Seventies you seek live.............Sucks for you!!!

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tullfan @ Sep 9 2012, 06:23 PM)
Rush gives their 70s fans a middle finger on the CA Tour. With ticket prices averaging $100.00 + this is what they do ? By what I can tell on this forum many of you are younger and have no problem with this, but you know what, Rush became popular during the 70s. Us older fans went to their shows, bought their albums, t shirts and tour books. Had a great time. This all came to a head when Moving Pictures came out and Rush was king. Record sales through the roof. All was well in Rushworld. Signals came out and was great and then they get the bright idea to not use Terry Brown and start dropping their epicness for a bunch of lame 80s records and set list that started the trend of completely ignoring their past along with a segment of their fan base, you know, the ones they gained their popularity on. It's very insulting to do this to the fans that got them there, but apparently there are other generations after who seem to love their post 1985 stuff. That's fine, I just think that Rush could put aside 45 minutes in their set list to please the older fans. After all that is the least they could do and they #!#@%ing know it. Instead they take the "This is what we are going to do and we can care less about the fans" attitude. O.K. fine. I give up. I will not be going to this show. The first Rush tour I will miss since the Hemispheres Tour. I was a diehard and they threw fans like me under the bus. I'm sick of it !!!!!!!!!!! Must be nice making tons of money playing a bunch of songs some of us don't want to hear, oh and by the way, make sure no one steals your t-shirt money Rush because you don't make any on the concert ticket. Give me a #$@%ing break.

You my friend are not a true RUSH fan! True RUSH fans adapt to their new music thru the years and if you had issues after Moving Pictures then why are you still around even talking about RUSH?

They have played many old 70's tunes during the past shows of the 2000's...Where were you?

Rush doesnt owe any of us fans a thing except their gratitude, which they have expressed in various forms over decades. Look at the big picture. They have played quite a few classics in many recent tours, and while I share a certain disappointment about this current setlist, I know they chose it for valid reasons exactly not clear to us, but certainly not to piss the fans off on purpose!! I take it for what it is and appreciate that I can see them live today, playing many songs that I like, even though not nec my favs. Do I prefer some other songs in place of some currently there? Yes! Would have loved JL, Weapon, Different Strings, AFTK, Something for Nothing, Lock and Key, Alien Shore, Nocturn, etc etc. But, after seeing them live this past Friday, Im hungry for more and feel so grateful for the experience, even if it's not exactly what I had hoped.

Keep it in perspective, guys. You have a right to express disappointment if you feel that way, but you dont have to be vitriolic about it or feel like you're being screwed on purpose. At the very least, Rush deserves our respect and appreciation on a basic level, even if we're not always happy with what they choose to do.

QUOTE (rrzubnyy @ Sep 10 2012, 07:33 PM)
Rush gives their 70s fans a middle finger on the CA Tour. With ticket prices averaging $100.00 + this is what they do ? By what I can tell on this forum many of you are younger and have no problem with this, but you know what, Rush became popular during the 70s. Us older fans went to their shows, bought their albums, t shirts and tour books. Had a great time. This all came to a head when Moving Pictures came out and Rush was king. Record sales through the roof. All was well in Rushworld. Signals came out and was great and then they get the bright idea to not use Terry Brown and start dropping their epicness for a bunch of lame 80s records and set list that started the trend of completely ignoring their past along with a segment of their fan base, you know, the ones they gained their popularity on. It's very insulting to do this to the fans that got them there, but apparently there are other generations after who seem to love their post 1985 stuff. That's fine, I just think that Rush could put aside 45 minutes in their set list to please the older fans. After all that is the least they could do and they #!#@%ing know it. Instead they take the "This is what we are going to do and we can care less about the fans" attitude. O.K. fine. I give up. I will not be going to this show. The first Rush tour I will miss since the Hemispheres Tour. I was a diehard and they threw fans like me under the bus. I'm sick of it !!!!!!!!!!! Must be nice making tons of money playing a bunch of songs some of us don't want to hear, oh and by the way, make sure no one steals your t-shirt money Rush because you don't make any on the concert ticket. Give me a #$@%ing break.

You my friend are not a true RUSH fan! True RUSH fans adapt to their new music thru the years and if you had issues after Moving Pictures then why are you still around even talking about RUSH?

They have played many old 70's tunes during the past shows of the 2000's...Where were you?

Please. Don't start this "not a true Rush fan" nonsense. This thread is full enough of stupid crap as it is.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Sep 10 2012, 07:46 PM)
Rush doesnt owe any of us fans a thing except their gratitude, which they have expressed in various forms over decades. Look at the big picture. They have played quite a few classics in many recent tours, and while I share a certain disappointment about this current setlist, I know they chose it for valid reasons exactly not clear to us, but certainly not to piss the fans off on purpose!! I take it for what it is and appreciate that I can see them live today, playing many songs that I like, even though not nec my favs. Do I prefer some other songs in place of some currently there? Yes! Would have loved JL, Weapon, Different Strings, AFTK, Something for Nothing, Lock and Key, Alien Shore, Nocturn, etc etc. But, after seeing them live this past Friday, Im hungry for more and feel so grateful for the experience, even if it's not exactly what I had hoped.

Keep it in perspective, guys. You have a right to express disappointment if you feel that way, but you dont have to be vitriolic about it or feel like you're being screwed on purpose. At the very least, Rush deserves our respect and appreciation on a basic level, even if we're not always happy with what they choose to do.

Well said my brotha!!! 1022.gif what'd you think about the weird dwarf video? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 10 2012, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Sep 10 2012, 07:46 PM)
Rush doesnt owe any of us fans a thing except their gratitude, which they have expressed in various forms over decades.  Look at the big picture.  They have played quite a few classics in many recent tours, and while I share a certain disappointment about this current setlist, I know they chose it for valid reasons exactly not clear to us, but certainly not to piss the fans off on purpose!!  I take it for what it is and appreciate that I can see them live today, playing many songs that I like, even though not nec my favs.  Do I prefer some other songs in place of some currently there?  Yes!  Would have loved JL, Weapon, Different Strings, AFTK, Something for Nothing, Lock and Key, Alien Shore, Nocturn, etc etc.  But, after seeing them live this past Friday, Im hungry for more and feel so grateful for the experience, even if it's not exactly what I had hoped.

Keep it in perspective, guys.  You have a right to express disappointment if you feel that way, but you dont have to be vitriolic about it or feel like you're being screwed on purpose.  At the very least, Rush deserves our respect and appreciation on a basic level, even if we're not always happy with what they choose to do.

Well said my brotha!!! 1022.gif what'd you think about the weird dwarf video? laugh.gif

Haha! Was weird! A bit too goofy for my tastes, but hey, it's all in good fun!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Sep 10 2012, 07:55 PM)

Please. Don't start this "not a true Rush fan" nonsense. This thread is full enough of stupid crap as it is.

tell us more

Way too many people are giving the thread starter a hard time. I love CA and PoW and I still feel a tad bummed. Simply because they didn't throw us any dinosaur bones. I mean, c'mon, whatsup with not playing Jacobs Ladder...ever? Geddy could easily sing this and it would mesh with the set list perfectly. I think he could pull off AFTK too. Blah, blah, blah, I know...I'm sure I'll love the show, despite that it looks like they'll be playing Dreamline instead of Manhattan Project in STL (atrocity!) I'm seeing Rush play 13 songs I've never heard live before, so I'll keep my tissues put away. Edited by GeddyLeeRoth

I lost my shit already once.....and it was very un-Todem like.

I am a really mellow, easy going guy. But I am highly passionate about my adoration about Rush.

These guys like to 10's of thousands of other musicians around the world were the influence, that spark that inspired me to pursue playing, writing and performing music. I could not imagine what my life would have been without their music in it. That is when you know how special someones art is. Rush has had that impact (like many other great bands) on people.

So it is from a different perspective I take and view the band.

When I see whining and entitlement complaints it get's under my skin a little. And it happens every tour.....every single one. I have never commented or been venomous in the past about it. I always ignored it because.....quite frankly....I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks.

But man....this tour, this set-list. They really did the unexpected. They really mixed it up. After years and years and years of seeing posts of " why don't they bring out":

Middletown Dreams

Grand Designs

The Analog Kid

Body Electric

Territories

The Manhattan Project

THEY DID IT!!!!

And yet....the boo birds, the old Rush guard (the so-called 50 something Rush fans who have this high level of entitlement, not all but some) and of course some resident trolls are out on the witch hunt.

I really had enough. But in the end.....everyone has an opinion. And that's cool. We all have songs we want to hear.

Hell I have been waiting for Jacobs Ladder since I started seeing Rush live back in 1983 on the Signals Tour.

Still waiting.

But never bitching, attacking, making assumptions the band has deserted a segment of the fan base, etc etc etc.

And that is the difference.

I don't get the incessant bitching and complaining.

But.....I am almost 99% positive these so-called fans are nowhere to be found at the shows we....the fans of the secret clubhouse we call Rush attend.

Peace.

Edited by Todem

In my view, Rush have proven themselves, time and time again, to the point where they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, and I'm OK with that.

They've played a lot of those 70s/early 80s songs so many times, why can't they dust off some of their under-appreciated or overlooked tunes from the mid/late 80s or later on? Because some fans want them to play the "classics" forever?

This setlist looks awesome, and I look forward to seeing them in November.

QUOTE (rrzubnyy @ Sep 10 2012, 08:05 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 10 2012, 11:27 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Sep 9 2012, 06:58 PM)

Honestly, sincerely PLEASE go f**k yourself.

It bears repeating, there is no bigger bitch on the planet then a middle aged straight male Rush fan.

How embarrassing

You know what's embarrassing ? A middle aged gay male Rush fan that has to remind Everyone that he is gay. You are a bitter , angry little queen that brings Nothing to this board except nasty , angry post's. Please go back under the bridge you came from . The O.P. , who i Don't agree with has an opinion , look it up.

How can you complain about a RUSH concert in 2012? Did anybody think in 1985 that RUSH would still be touring in 2012?

27 years later?

What a bunch of spoiled brats you people are......

laugh.gif Im assuming you are too young (or maybe not, and if not ...) to remember the pre-internet "Neil has cancer" rumor and that the GuP tour was going to be a farewell tour. So, to your point, in 1983/84 we thought we had one year left, and that was almost 30 years ago! Hahahahaa.

Edited by lerxt1990

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 10 2012, 11:35 AM)

It's unfortunate for you that you haven't been able to grow with the band. You have unrealistic expectations my friend trink39.gif

One can grow with the band and not have to sit through Bravado again. rofl3.gif

Im going to 2 shows with the mentality that this is the show with the most artistic integrity that i would ever see. This is the 100% uncompromised unfiltered artist's vision and me as a fan and paying customer what else can I ask for ?! I see this show as ONE big concept show about the human condition and i cant wait for the Newark and Brooklyn shows wo hoooo

QUOTE (bathory @ Sep 10 2012, 08:10 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Sep 10 2012, 07:55 PM)

tell us more

confused13.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 10 2012, 11:31 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Sep 9 2012, 11:12 PM)
Some of you need to grow the f**k up.

"You don't like the setlist?!? MOM HE DOESN'T LIKE THE SETLIST!!"

Seriously. A bunch of f***ing ten year olds.

Says you. Hahahahaaaa.

Hey, I know it when I see it. laugh.gif

My guess is Geddy can't sing those tunes anymore without detuning them two or three steps, and it's too much of a pain to do that. It's probably nothing any more complicated or overthought than that.

Geddy's made no secret in recent interviews that touring is taking much more of a physical toll than it used to. I'm afraid father time is starting to catch up. We just have to deal with it. He's the one who's got to sing for 2 1/2 hours.

I'm pretty lucky.... I became a fan 20 years into their career, and I got another 20 years out of them.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 10 2012, 11:28 PM)

It bears repeating, there is no bigger bitch on the planet then a middle aged straight male Rush fan.

How embarrassing

You know what's embarrassing ? A middle aged gay male Rush fan that has to remind Everyone that he is gay. You are a bitter , angry little queen that brings Nothing to this board except nasty , angry post's. Please go back under the bridge you came from . The O.P. , who i Don't agree with has an opinion , look it up.

How can you complain about a RUSH concert in 2012? Did anybody think in 1985 that RUSH would still be touring in 2012?

27 years later?

laugh.gif Im assuming you are too young (or maybe not, and if not ...) to remember the pre-internet "Neil has cancer" rumor and that the GuP tour was going to be a farewell tour. So, to your point, in 1983/84 we thought we had one year left, and that was almost 30 years ago! Hahahahaa.

I remember that rumor as well and being very concerned about Neil's health, hysterical...

To the point in the original post: As a fellow "old school" fan who got to see them at their peak of popularity (and ability, IMO) in the MP/Signals era, I relate and sympathize with the points he makes regarding the clear, undeniable lack of early material.

HOWEVER, much of the material that many fans of our era dismiss/view as subpar (for me 87-though 91), like it or not, is already a quarter century old and classic in their own right (despite the fact that we will never view it that way), and is liked by a large portion of the younger fanbase.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I've given up on getting that classic 70s-80s setlist. But instead feel lucky to get those amazing gems from time to time (this year, Analog, last tour Camera), and enjoy the fact that theyre still around and playing at such a high level.

And one more thing: that "true Rush fan" talk is total bullshit.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Sep 11 2012, 07:01 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 10 2012, 11:28 PM)

How embarrassing

27 years later?

I remember that rumor as well and being very concerned about Neil's health, hysterical...

To the point in the original post: As a fellow "old school" fan who got to see them at their peak of popularity (and ability, IMO) in the MP/Signals era, I relate and sympathize with the points he makes regarding the clear, undeniable lack of early material.

HOWEVER, much of the material that many fans of our era dismiss/view as subpar (for me 87-though 91), like it or not, is already a quarter century old and classic in their own right (despite the fact that we will never view it that way), and is liked by a large portion of the younger fanbase.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I've given up on getting that classic 70s-80s setlist. But instead feel lucky to get those amazing gems from time to time (this year, Analog, last tour Camera), and enjoy the fact that theyre still around and playing at such a high level.

And one more thing: that "true Rush fan" talk is total bullshit.

Yeah the true Rush fan talk.....cracks me up.

We are all Rush fans with a massive diverse take on what we think is their best stuff and sub par stuff or whatever.

Rush has so many flavors.

I love dicussing their music with many fans here.

What I cringe at is the venomus troll like posts. Really a drag on the community as a whole.

It really got under my skin this time around. And the reason was they finally changed up the setlist top to bottom. And there was venom.

Ridiculous.

Big difference between venom and opinion. And the quick snap back posts about "well that's his opinion".

Yeah.....ok....but there are much better ways to constructively express it.

And many here do just that. But a few are just.....oh whatever...enough already.

Rush on brothers and sisters.