Rush burns us again

tullfan

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thizzellewashington @ Sep 9 2012, 08:14 PM)
How dare the band that only has a career because they didn't listen to what other people wanted them to do play a setlist that doesn't conform to somebody else's demands?

You Sir win a cookie.

QUOTE (tullfan @ Sep 9 2012, 06:23 PM)
Rush gives their 70s fans a middle finger on the CA Tour. With ticket prices averaging $100.00 + this is what they do ? By what I can tell on this forum many of you are younger and have no problem with this, but you know what, Rush became popular during the 70s. Us older fans went to their shows, bought their albums, t shirts and tour books. Had a great time. This all came to a head when Moving Pictures came out and Rush was king. Record sales through the roof. All was well in Rushworld. Signals came out and was great and then they get the bright idea to not use Terry Brown and start dropping their epicness for a bunch of lame 80s records and set list that started the trend of completely ignoring their past along with a segment of their fan base, you know, the ones they gained their popularity on. It's very insulting to do this to the fans that got them there, but apparently there are other generations after who seem to love their post 1985 stuff. That's fine, I just think that Rush could put aside 45 minutes in their set list to please the older fans. After all that is the least they could do and they #!#@%ing know it. Instead they take the "This is what we are going to do and we can care less about the fans" attitude. O.K. fine. I give up. I will not be going to this show. The first Rush tour I will miss since the Hemispheres Tour. I was a diehard and they threw fans like me under the bus. I'm sick of it !!!!!!!!!!! Must be nice making tons of money playing a bunch of songs some of us don't want to hear, oh and by the way, make sure no one steals your t-shirt money Rush because you don't make any on the concert ticket. Give me a #$@%ing break.

I, I, I, Me, Me, Me...

eshine, I'm an old timer myself... I would never turn down an opportunity to go to a 2.gif show just because I got wind of a set list, you just never know what life has in store for you.

There aren't to many bands that face the challenge of putting together a perfect set list for their fans or even headline their own show now days.

Maybe, The Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden, U2 or Metalica? I'm sure they would piss you off too, if their set list wasn't constructed just right?

Sounds to me like you need to set back, fire up a fatty and put on an old Rush album... I'll be at the show

I approve this message! cool10.gif

I think it's miles ahead of the TMT setlist. Wow. I remember wanting to go in surprised since I was the fourth stop of the tour. Big mistake; Moving Pictures saved that show, but the entire first set was so bland and uninteresting to me, save Marathon.

I like everything about this set save for a couple minor shortcomings, but hey, it'll never be perfect.

Few reasons why the setlist is probably what it is.

#1 - The biggest reason is that Geddy's is a grumpy old man... eh an old man so he can't sing 70s stuff anymore night after night. They have to pick newer stuff that suits his voice much better.

#2 - Clockwork Angels is hard rocking album so they wanted to have good balance of synth stuff, hard rock stuff, classics and mellower stuff. I think they got this pretty much right.

#3 - How many times have we heard Natural Science, Limelight, Freewill, Red Barchetta etc. in the last 10 years? Or in the last 30 years? I tell you. Too many times. They wanted to play lot's of songs we haven't heard for years. That shouldn't be bad thing should it? Yes they left out some fan favourites but unfortunately they can't play everything.

Everybody knew we are going to get lots of CA stuff and that's a great thing because most of the material is very good. We also know that they will play Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio and YYZ. The setlist shouldn't be that big shock even though I understand if you expected few more 70s songs. But even with let's say Xanadu and The Trees over Red Sector A and The Big Money the setlist wouldn't be that much different so I really don't understand all the bitching. Sorry but your expectations were unrealistic.

Edited by Flying Finn

QUOTE (Animate @ Sep 9 2012, 07:47 PM)
Here's the deal. The band did put out something for those of us that are hardcore 70's Rush fans: Get ready!! They put out an amazing brand new album called Clockwork Angels! An album that, while modern, is more than a little throwback to a hard rock and progressive rock style! No, the vocals are not up to par with 70's Geddy, but nothing ever will be ever.

Rush played Moving Pictures ENTIRELY on the last tour! Now, they have a tour that is 1/2 a new hard rock album and 1/2 paying homage to the synth era and all anyone can do is b&tch about it.

Amen, brother.

goodpost.gif

I dont believe the whole "they're not playing 70's songs cuz Geddy cant sing it" explanation. They are playing working man as well as Temples. Ged sang Circumstances & Bangkok on the S&A tour.

I believe the real reason is the LYRICS. They picked songs that best suited the concept of Clockwork Angels. All the songs being played deal with social issues, humanism, man vs machine,etc and match the themes explored on CA and it's novel. I think this whole show is ONE big concept show. Poster Dayglow explained really well on another thread.

You better believe that before it's all said and done they will play 2112 in it's entirety in a future tour. It's just that some of those songs old fans want dont fit the themes of CA and what they are triying to say TODAY.

Edited by Astroboy2112

QUOTE (ZachenFoot @ Sep 9 2012, 07:18 PM)
I think it's miles ahead of the TMT setlist. Wow. I remember wanting to go in surprised since I was the fourth stop of the tour. Big mistake; Moving Pictures saved that show, but the entire first set was so bland and uninteresting to me, save Marathon.

I like everything about this set save for a couple minor shortcomings, but hey, it'll never be perfect.

couldnt disagree with your analysis more, liked the TM set list very much, good variety, different eras etc. But its what a fan forum is all about, discussions, debates its all good. I think its fine if someone wants to come on here and say CA set sucks! in fact i tend to agree but im still going to go, ill still have a blast, and hope i leave the show feeling differently! Hell ill still burn one with the nerds who think power windows is good Rush! Well maybe smile.gif

QUOTE (tullfan @ Sep 9 2012, 06:23 PM)
Rush gives their 70s fans a middle finger on the CA Tour. With ticket prices averaging $100.00 + this is what they do ? By what I can tell on this forum many of you are younger and have no problem with this, but you know what, Rush became popular during the 70s. Us older fans went to their shows, bought their albums, t shirts and tour books. Had a great time. This all came to a head when Moving Pictures came out and Rush was king. Record sales through the roof. All was well in Rushworld. Signals came out and was great and then they get the bright idea to not use Terry Brown and start dropping their epicness for a bunch of lame 80s records and set list that started the trend of completely ignoring their past along with a segment of their fan base, you know, the ones they gained their popularity on. It's very insulting to do this to the fans that got them there, but apparently there are other generations after who seem to love their post 1985 stuff. That's fine, I just think that Rush could put aside 45 minutes in their set list to please the older fans. After all that is the least they could do and they #!#@%ing know it. Instead they take the "This is what we are going to do and we can care less about the fans" attitude. O.K. fine. I give up. I will not be going to this show. The first Rush tour I will miss since the Hemispheres Tour. I was a diehard and they threw fans like me under the bus. I'm sick of it !!!!!!!!!!! Must be nice making tons of money playing a bunch of songs some of us don't want to hear, oh and by the way, make sure no one steals your t-shirt money Rush because you don't make any on the concert ticket. Give me a #$@%ing break.

Need a tissue?

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Sep 9 2012, 07:34 PM)
I dont believe the whole "they're not playing 70's songs cuz Geddy cant sing it" explanation. They are playing working man as well as Temples. Ged sang Circumstances & Bangkok on the S&A tour.

I believe the real reason is the LYRICS. They picked songs that best suited the concept of Clockwork Angels. All the songs being played deal with social issues, humanism, man vs machine,etc and match the themes explored on CA and it's novel. I think this whole show is ONE big concept show. Poster Dayglow explained really well on another thread.

You better believe that before it's all said and done they will play 2112 in it's entirety in a future tour. It's just that some of those songs old fans want dont fit the themes of CA and what they are triying to say TODAY.

This

goodpost.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (zac2112 @ Sep 9 2012, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (ZachenFoot @ Sep 9 2012, 07:18 PM)

couldnt disagree with your analysis more, liked the TM set list very much, good variety, different eras etc. But its what a fan forum is all about, discussions, debates its all good. I think its fine if someone wants to come on here and say CA set sucks! in fact i tend to agree but im still going to go, ill still have a blast, and hope i leave the show feeling differently! Hell ill still burn one with the nerds who think power windows is good Rush! Well maybe smile.gif

And hey, we can have a civil discussion about it! I'm not saying I felt screwed by it or that "ALL RUSH FANS DESERVED BETTER!" Just wasn't my cup of tea.

Glad you enjoyed your TMT experience!

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 9 2012, 07:42 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 9 2012, 07:41 PM)
They played Working Man.

Quite well too.

now there's a tune we haven't heard in a while. schla03.gif

Psh. I could listen to Alex's live solo in that everyday for the rest of my life. 1022.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 9 2012, 05:45 PM)
They played Working Man.

Quite well too.

Psh. I could listen to Alex's live solo in that everyday for the rest of my life. 1022.gif

I probably could too, just glad I don't decide to even once a month wink.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 9 2012, 07:45 PM)
They played Working Man.

Quite well too.

goodpost.gif

I so agree!

Hearing/seeing this live just blows me away time and after time after time.

Alex just kills on this.

This song, in my opinion, should always be on the setlist!

Edited by ReGorLaTroy

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Sep 9 2012, 07:38 PM)
QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Sep 9 2012, 07:34 PM)

I believe the real reason is the LYRICS. They picked songs that best suited the concept of Clockwork Angels. All the songs being  played deal with social issues, humanism, man vs machine,etc  and match the themes explored on CA and it's novel. I think this whole show is ONE big concept show. Poster Dayglow explained really well on another thread.

This

goodpost.gif yes.gif

I agree in part.

Conceptually, however, the Clockwork Angels themes recapture the elements of many 70's songs. Especially, Hemispheres (the struggle between the Anarchist and the Watchmaker visions of society and well as the differences between Crown City and Poseidon, parallels the two civilizations set up by Dionysus and Apollo). Also, The Trees has important similarities as the reason the Anarchist became who he is in part happened because he was exceptionally talented and rose above his classmates in the alchemists school and was "cut down" by the teachers who enforced mediocrity.

Also, the whole of Clockwork Angels is very similar to The Fountain of Lamneth. Including Deciding to Leave home (Didacts and Naperts) love interests (Panacaea and Halo Effect), a storm at sea (the Wreckers and No One at the Bridge), with the notable exception that in the end of the story, Owen Hardy finds the answer in the Garden while in TFOL, the hero finds the fountain but gets no answer.

I could waffle on ad nauseum but probably too long already

laugh.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Sep 9 2012, 07:51 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 9 2012, 07:45 PM)
They played Working Man.

Quite well too.

goodpost.gif

I so agree!

Hearing/seeing this live just blows me away time and after time after time.

Alex just kills on this.

This song, in my opinion, should always be on the setlist!

goodpost.gif

Alex shreds. I want to hear it. Every time.

All their material has equal relevance even if you don't like a certain album or period. I've heard the 70s era ad nauseum. I like that era mind you but the 80s had some good material as well.

I see no reason why they shouldn't concentrate on the 80s when they've spent a good deal concentrating on the 70s.