Replacement Refs

Lost In Xanadu

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that was the worst crew (not sure why they got the biggest game) I saw. The rate of blown calls and penalties that were not called that should have been were about the same as with the regular officials, who haven't gotten any better over the offseason by not officiating.

I watched Mia-Hou, some of Det-StL, some of GB-SF, some of TB-Car, and some of Ariz-Sea, with red zone for about the second half of the Dolphin game.

The real referees are sitting at home, and they're smiling. They know that the NFL will be calling them SOON.....

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

The refs have all the leverage now, unless the NFL doesn't actually care that the officiating today was terrible. I'll bet there were a half dozen examples in every game. I watched four different games today and saw multiple acts of blantant ignorance in all of them.

Really just terrible. Pay these guys and give them their pension. For what this league is worth, the compensation they're asking for relative to their collective importance is but a pittance. This is a multi-billion dollar league and they're playing hardball for a 20% raise for refs making on average of 80K a year? Fecking please.

Ridiculous. Pay these guys or this is going to get really bad when games become even more critical.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Sep 12 2012, 11:54 AM)
Regular Refs, replacement Refs; they ALL suck! I say we just keep the replacements, they're all gonna screw up anyways, may as well fire the old ones to send a message.

laugh.gif Not too far off. The only plus with the regular ones is that they were pretty consistent with their sucking.

The NFL is making it clear that they don't care much about the quality of officiating. They're more concerned about saving a few bucks.

They can pay players 16 million a year, but they can't give the referees a raise.....

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Sep 18 2012, 10:37 AM)
The NFL is making it clear that they don't care much about the quality of officiating.  They're more concerned about saving a few bucks. 

They can pay players 16 million a year, but they can't give the referees a raise.....

goodpost.gif

It's things like this, and the NHL, that re-confirm to me that money to corporations like the NFL is always always always #1, the NFL always looks out for #1, and fans don't matter one bit to the NFL until they start voting with their viewing habits and their wallets.

Sean Lee nearly had his head taken off by a blind side hit against Seattle - no call. But on the same play a Cowboy player lightly patted an opponent on the way out of bounds and got called for roughing. Unreal.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 20 2012, 01:26 PM)
What's the main sticking point in the contract talks? What are the refs looking for that the NFL does not want to concede?

Last night during the Patriots - Ravens game was the first time I've ever really said "Are you f*&%ing kidding me?" over calls these refs have made. I don't feel like I questioned calls more times in the first two games than I normally do during a game. Last night, however, was brutal.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Sep 24 2012, 11:51 AM)
Last night during the Patriots - Ravens game was the first time I've ever really said "Are you f*&%ing kidding me?" over calls these refs have made. I don't feel like I questioned calls more times in the first two games than I normally do during a game. Last night, however, was brutal.

On both sides. I was at the game and saw calls go both ways that made me wince.

Hopefully, the Ravens and Pats can play again in the Playoffs with a better caliber of refs.

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Sep 24 2012, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Sep 24 2012, 11:51 AM)
Last night during the Patriots - Ravens game was the first time I've ever really said "Are you f*&%ing kidding me?" over calls these refs have made.    I don't feel like I questioned calls more times in the first two games than I normally do during a game.  Last night, however, was brutal.

On both sides. I was at the game and saw calls go both ways that made me wince.

Hopefully, the Ravens and Pats can play again in the Playoffs with a better caliber of refs.

Indeed, on both counts. Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting the Ravens won because the Patriots got screwed. I saw quite a few calls that helped the Patriots that still made me say, "Are you f*&%ing kidding me?"

If they're not careful, the "replacement refs" will end up being the full-time refs. All over a few dollars....(relatively speaking, of course)..... wacko.gif wacko.gif