Concert Etiquette

Hi, I was just wondering, this is my first Rush concert and I've booked seating tickets close to the stage. I wanted to get standing tickets but they were just too expensive and the ones that were cheap were so far away from the stage that it wasn't worth it. So I was just wondering, is it okay for you too stand at a Rush concert or do people who are seated stand often? I'd really like to know, as I'd love to air bass, drum and guitar and rock out given the chance! Thanks in advance! As I say this is my first Rush gig and many of the other gigs I've been to haven't really been rocking out gigs. smile.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Sep 9 2012, 03:32 PM)
If you get a section of morons, you'll be peer pressured to sit. Happened in Manchester. If I had it my way, concerts should be mandatory standing unless there's a disability.

Agreed. Well, for rock acts anyway.

QUOTE (AFarewellToHemispheres @ Sep 9 2012, 12:10 PM)
Hi, I was just wondering, this is my first Rush concert and I've booked seating tickets close to the stage. I wanted to get standing tickets but they were just too expensive and the ones that were cheap were so far away from the stage that it wasn't worth it. So I was just wondering, is it okay for you too stand at a Rush concert or do people who are seated stand often? I'd really like to know, as I'd love to air bass, drum and guitar and rock out given the chance! Thanks in advance! As I say this is my first Rush gig and many of the other gigs I've been to haven't really been rocking out gigs. smile.gif 2.gif

If some lazy bum wants to pay a few hundred for a ticket just to go sit on his butt and watch Rush, that's his problem. I have VIP passes to two shows and you will not see me sitting down. Also, I'm a short female so I will be in high shoes to get a better look at the third loves of my life up on stage.

With that being said, rock out. 1022.gif

If you're going to the ballet or the opera, sit your ass down.

Rock concerts, keep standing up, dancing, and singing every single line you know!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 653.gif common001.gif 653.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Sep 9 2012, 03:32 PM)
If you get a section of morons, you'll be peer pressured to sit. Happened in Manchester. If I had it my way, concerts should be mandatory standing unless there's a disability.

Was this in the lower bowl? If so that is strange. Uppers, people tend to like to sit. Still, no way I'm sitting at a Rush show, I don't care what anyone says. My boyfriend sat for a while because his leg was cramping up and a few people were staring at him like he was an alien.

Just another thought. When I go to church we stand to worship. You only sit down if you're old, disabled, or not feeling so hot. Otherwise it is considered disrespectful to sit.

And to me, going to a Rush concert is almost like going to church, soooo...

I wouldn't want to be disrespectful now would I? wink.gif

Folks in the front sections are going to stand regardless. They should know that before they buy the ticket. Kinda goes with the territory.

For folks further back, occasional standing is ok, but I think people should try to stay seated in case people behind you can't see EVEN IF THEY STAND (maybe they are short), or maybe they are old like me and can't stand for 3 hours.

QUOTE (gangsterfurious @ Sep 10 2012, 10:13 AM)
Just another thought. When I go to church we stand to worship. You only sit down if you're old, disabled, or not feeling so hot. Otherwise it is considered disrespectful to sit.

And to me, going to a Rush concert is almost like going to church, soooo...

I wouldn't want to be disrespectful now would I? wink.gif

rofl3.gif

As a disabled person......i don't go to that many concerts for this reason. I've had my vision obscured more times then i can count. So.....i'd say sit...but of course i'd say that tongue.gif lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

If you have crap seats you should sit if everyone else is sitting (unless you're in the back row, then do what you want). If you have decent seats but everyone else in your section is sitting, sit. If you have good, great or awesome seats anyone behind you can go outside the venue and fly a kite instead of watching the show. If they have the ability to stand at a rock concert with good seats they should. Just because there is a string section this tour doesn't mean that they will be performing Bethoven's 9th.

I had a bad experience last year. We had great seats. My friends were seated next to a quarterback sized player and his orange girlfriend who wanted to sit. They were threatened, and since you don't mess with a dude that big they sat. I was in front of a guy roughly my dad's age. I told him he would have to call security if he wanted to get me to sit. My old man still goes to concerts and he stands, dances and plays his air guitar for the full duration of a given concert. I saw no reason to sit considering the great seats I had.

Here's my rule:

1) Sit if your legs are tired or you just want to kick back and listen.

2) Stand if you want to see better because the person in front of you is standing.

3) If all the people immediately in front of you are sitting, and most of the people to your right and left are sitting, and the person behind you asks politely... Be cool and sit for while, then when you hear the opening chords of a favorite, jump to your feet like everyone else!!

If you bring a shortie (kid) who can't see and put them on your seat so their head is above yours, consider the person behind you... if they get up their seat to see over your kid, then the person behind them has to do the same, and so on...just so your kid can see.

Edited by ThinkingBig