Zep

MCM

Led Zeppelin to release reunion concert film

By Mike Collett-White, Reuters

LONDON -- British rockers Led Zeppelin will release a concert film based on their 2007 charity performance in London that hits cinemas on Oct. 17, the band said on Thursday.

The film, called "Celebration Day" and directed by Dick Carruthers, was taken from the long-awaited reunion of one of rock's most successful acts.

The theatrical release will be across 1,500 screens in more than 40 territories, followed by an audio and video release on Nov. 19.

There will be premieres in London, Los Angeles, New York and other major cities before the theatrical release, raising the possibility of seeing the three surviving band members on the same red carpet, if not the same stage.

Advertise | AdChoicesThe band broke up in 1980 after the death of their drummer John Bonham, but despite repeated calls from millions of fans to get back together to tour and record, reunions have been fleeting and, by their own admission, unsatisfactory.

But in 2007, singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and bass player John Paul Jones, along with Bonham's son and drummer Jason, took the stage at London's O2 Arena for a tribute gig to Atlantic Records' founder Ahmet Ertegun.

It was the first headline show by the band in 27 years, and according to Cineworld, the cinema chain which will screen the movie in Britain, it was the most over-subscribed gig in history after more than 20 million people applied for 18,000 tickets.

The poster for the upcoming Led Zeppelin movie.

"It's a unique opportunity to savor what is likely to be Led Zeppelin's final performance," Cineworld said.

The band, one of rock's biggest acts with global album sales estimated at up to 300 million, played 16 songs on the night including hits like "Whole Lotta Love", "Kashmir" and "Stairway to Heaven."

The poster promoting the film features a cartoon of a zeppelin airship against a red sky above London's Houses of Parliament, reminiscent of the artwork on the band's 2007 compilation album "Mothership."

Following is the track listing of the upcoming film, which will last just over two hours.

1. Good Times Bad Times

2. Ramble On

3. Black Dog

4. In My Time Of Dying

5. For Your Life

6. Trampled Under Foot

7. Nobody's Fault But Mine

8. No Quarter

9. Since I've Been Loving You

10. Dazed And Confused

11. Stairway To Heaven

12. The Song Remains The Same

13. Misty Mountain Hop

14. Kashmir

15. Whole Lotta Love

16. Rock And Roll

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee378/ReGorLaTroy/120913-zeppelin-movie_3803807700.jpg

The thing that gets me is back in 1985 I saw The Firm with Virgina Wolfe (jason's old band) and Jason already sounded enough like his dad to pull off an awesome tour. It's a shame that all this time has gone by without even any real zep tour... dazed025.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 11 2012, 03:41 PM)
Robert Plant had no interest, but when he finally listened he pronounced it the best show since 1975. It could be good stuff.

Plant is a cranky old fu*k that can't sing like he used to . They will make a shitload of money 1 last time and that is why he gave his "ok" to release it . Page, Jones and jr should find a singer and go on tour with a diff name , i would be there in a min

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 13 2012, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 11 2012, 03:41 PM)
Robert Plant had no interest, but when he finally listened he pronounced it the best show since 1975.  It could be good stuff.

Plant is a cranky old fu*k that can't sing like he used to . They will make a shitload of money 1 last time and that is why he gave his "ok" to release it . Page, Jones and jr should find a singer and go on tour with a diff name , i would be there in a min

THIS.

I remember when they were toying with the idea of using Steven Tyler or Myles Kennedy.

Personally, I think Ann Wilson would be the best choice, but that's just a pipe dream ph34r.gif

I don't know why anyone would be surprised at Plant not singing like he used to. He blew his voice out in the 70s. It's 2012. I think the fact that he can even attempt to sing these songs (with limitations) is impressive.

He could try to just belt out Black Dog and it would be an absolute mess. I'm glad he adjusts to his comfort level and still sings it with feeling.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Sep 22 2012, 12:24 PM)
I don't know why anyone would be surprised at Plant not singing like he used to. He blew his voice out in the 70s. It's 2012. I think the fact that he can even attempt to sing these songs (with limitations) is impressive.

He could try to just belt out Black Dog and it would be an absolute mess. I'm glad he adjusts to his comfort level and still sings it with feeling.

This is a good point too. A proper singer, like Elton John, knows his limitations and adjusts his vocals accordingly. Almost no one over the age of 60 sings as good as they did at 30. Very few exceptions to this, if any. Most are lucky if they only lose a step or two. Glenn Hughes comes to mind as a pretty resilient "golden throat", and Ronnie James Dio still had a very, very apt voice as well. They are out there, but they're pretty rare.

While not quite that age and a bit of a different sub-genre, freakin' Tommy Shaw of Styx still has some impressive pipes. Just some credit where it's due.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Sep 23 2012, 05:24 AM)

Couldn't agree more sir.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 22 2012, 04:11 PM)

This is a good point too. A proper singer, like Elton John, knows his limitations and adjusts his vocals accordingly. Almost no one over the age of 60 sings as good as they did at 30. Very few exceptions to this, if any. Most are lucky if they only lose a step or two. Glenn Hughes comes to mind as a pretty resilient "golden throat", and Ronnie James Dio still had a very, very apt voice as well. They are out there, but they're pretty rare.

While not quite that age and a bit of a different sub-genre, freakin' Tommy Shaw of Styx still has some impressive pipes. Just some credit where it's due.

goodpost.gif Tommy Shaw still kicks butt vocally. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 22 2012, 04:24 PM)

Most folks here don't like them, but Don Henley of The Eagles hasn't lost one iota of his vocal ability and dude's 65 years old.

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Sep 23 2012, 10:29 AM)

Most folks here don't like them, but Don Henley of The Eagles hasn't lost one iota of his vocal ability and dude's 65 years old.

Robin Zander wub.gif

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Sep 23 2012, 11:29 AM)

I love the Eagles trink39.gif