Lip synching?

Yokkov

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 8 2012, 03:28 PM)
In "Double Agent," he used to sing just the first few words of "On the edge of sleep..." to trigger a sample of the altered voice part.

Wish they played this sad.gif but both setlists don't dissapoint! 1287.gif

I wish that Geddy wouldn't try to act like he's singing the "Blues" part of Clockwork Angels. In the video it's so embarrassingly fake. He should just walk over to Alex and rock out during that section and come back when it's time for him to really sing. I actually think that it would be pretty cool if they went that route instead. The mysterious, disembodied voice of the Watchmaker, descending from the sky with no visible source. Seems to fit.

Re: Alex's "singing" -

I've always kind of thought he fakes singing the backing vocals on some parts just because it's fun for him, in that wacky Alex kind of way. You notice he often looks slightly amused whilst doing it.

His singing used to be genuinely painful on those odd occasions where it did get picked up by the sound system. But on the TM tour, it seemed as though he might've finally gotten some lessons, because he WAS mic'd a few times and actually sounded good!

QUOTE (mk2112 @ Sep 9 2012, 01:41 AM)
One thing's for sure ... Alex didn't trigger the Tom Sawyer solo! wink.gif

Nope, that was all live. laugh.gif The beauty of a live show and an example of professionalism. He knew he messed up, he figured it out and didn't really try and hide it.. not that he could.

QUOTE (Yokkov @ Sep 8 2012, 04:15 PM)
So me and my brother were siting tenth row right in front of geddy last night, and there were some points in the show where we really thought he was lip-synching. First, in that part in either clockwork angels or anarchist (i dont remember which specifically) where his voice sounds like he's singing through a radio, in the concert it sounded so exactly like the studio version, and also the volume went down when that started, and back up when the regular part kicked in. Also, that really high note in headlong flight was iffy. During one of the times he did it, he moved away from the mike, and the volume stayed exactly the same. Anyone else notice this?

I noticed this also but I don't think he was trying to hide it at all. He sang the first line, someone triggered the higher part, at this point it was clear it was not him singing as he was turned away from the mic.. didn't look to me like he was even mouthing the words.

I thought he blew a line in Grand Designs. His face was up on the big screen, I could see him looking at his monitor out of the corner of his eye, I think he forgot a word or two but he caught up quickly... did anyone else notice this?

..they must be using a click, or a led metronome, it would be impossible to get the tempo right without some reference of what tempo the samples were taken. Even if you were 2bpm out that would be escalated by the end of the phrase! Edited by bootruss
  • Like 1

I noticed the lip-syncing in CA on a youtube vid. Hardly suprising, and I don't think it's cheating. I agree with an earlier comment that it would be better for Geddy to not even try to pretend he's really singing the part.

As far as instrument samples go, I might be wrong, but I think that the majority of what we hear coming from the stage is what the band is actually playing. A little "seasoning" here and there is acceptable to enhance the sonic flavour. Considering the band only has 3 "real" members, and the type of material they play (not to mention their age), it's no suprise they need a little bit of help here and there.

So from what I've read so far, the guitar parts flown in are just the overdubs from the studio. Vocals are backup singers and anything that requires a vocal processor. I don't see how this is cheating. You only have ONE guitarist and ONE Geddy and live vocal processing can cause major problems on stage. I would rather they do what they do than get other members.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Sep 8 2012, 11:36 PM)
I wish that Geddy wouldn't try to act like he's singing the "Blues" part of Clockwork Angels. In the video it's so embarrassingly fake. He should just walk over to Alex and rock out during that section and come back when it's time for him to really sing. I actually think that it would be pretty cool if they went that route instead. The mysterious, disembodied voice of the Watchmaker, descending from the sky with no visible source. Seems to fit.

goodpost.gif

He either needs to step up his lip-synching or just not bother at all

Edited by Alchemical

QUOTE (bootruss @ Sep 9 2012, 05:04 AM)
..they must be using a click, or a led metronome, it would be impossible to get the tempo right without some reference of what tempo the samples were taken. Even if you were 2bpm out that would be escalated by the end of the phrase!

Nope, they haven't used a click or metronome in quite some time. This was brought up on threads during the last tour. There's an interview with the monitor guy and he went to great lengths telling how they use no form of click whatsoever. Neil spends about 3-4 weeks rehearsing prior to band rehearsals to get his sense of time for the songs. neil also talks about how he can feel a song being a little to fast or slow and how he adjusts to how the vocal sits in the song on his last dvd..

QUOTE (irish_matt @ Sep 9 2012, 10:35 AM)
..they must be using a click, or a led metronome, it would be impossible to get the tempo right without some reference of what tempo the samples were taken. Even if you were 2bpm out that would be escalated by the end of the phrase!

Nope, they haven't used a click or metronome in quite some time. This was brought up on threads during the last tour. There's an interview with the monitor guy and he went to great lengths telling how they use no form of click whatsoever. Neil spends about 3-4 weeks rehearsing prior to band rehearsals to get his sense of time for the songs. neil also talks about how he can feel a song being a little to fast or slow and how he adjusts to how the vocal sits in the song on his last dvd..

If it's really true that they don't use a click, that is SERIOUSLY impressive. You kinda need one when using tracks like that, because like what bootruss said, if you're even 1 or 2 bpm off it will be completely out of synch by the end of the line

QUOTE (opsopcopolis @ Sep 9 2012, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (irish_matt @ Sep 9 2012, 10:35 AM)

If it's really true that they don't use a click, that is SERIOUSLY impressive. You kinda need one when using tracks like that, because like what bootruss said, if you're even 1 or 2 bpm off it will be completely out of synch by the end of the line

mentioned around the 7.10 mark, no click tracks of any kind. pretty impressive stuff.

QUOTE (MCM @ Sep 9 2012, 04:50 AM)
QUOTE (Yokkov @ Sep 8 2012, 04:15 PM)
So me and my brother were siting tenth row right in front of geddy last night, and there were some points in the show where we really thought  he was lip-synching. First, in that part in either clockwork angels or anarchist (i dont remember which specifically) where his voice sounds like he's singing through a radio, in the concert it sounded so exactly like the studio version, and also the volume went down when that started, and back up when the regular part kicked in.  Also, that really high note in headlong flight was iffy.  During one of the times he did it, he moved away from the mike, and the volume stayed exactly the same. Anyone else notice this?

I noticed this also but I don't think he was trying to hide it at all. He sang the first line, someone triggered the higher part, at this point it was clear it was not him singing as he was turned away from the mic.. didn't look to me like he was even mouthing the words.

I thought he blew a line in Grand Designs. His face was up on the big screen, I could see him looking at his monitor out of the corner of his eye, I think he forgot a word or two but he caught up quickly... did anyone else notice this?

As I look at this now, it reads as if I'm being critical of the vocal which is not what I meant at all..

I was trying to say that yes, that higher vocal is not Ged live, but it is him studio. But they're not even trying to fool us into thinking that he's singing it live. If they were trying to hide it, then I'd be critical. But if they're triggering a sample and not even trying to disguise it then I don't mind it. they've never been shy about their use of samples, it's part of their showmanship.

On the extended "agaaaaaaaiiiiiiiin" in Headlong Flight, it did sound like the studio track was backing Geddy. You can also hear that he is still singing it live. So, I would not say it was "lip-synched." Not a big deal IMHO.

Seriously live, man. Listen to it! His voice isn't perfect in it. Plus, right before the long "lip-synced" note, he drops one of the lines. THAT'S LIVE.
  • Like 1

To be fair, they are just three guys, to capture the studio sound as best as possible, they have to trigger backing vocals and guitar overdubs. But if Geddy Really was lip synching, don't you think there would be a little less age to his voice?
  • Like 1

Ok... I think that part is lip synced, but in the end, everything else is LIVE (besides the triggered samples)!!! That is amazing to comprehend and never once did it take away from the performance when I saw them in Philly and then AC. It's not like they are like Roger Waters who lip synced/performed exact choreography for 80% of The Wall

The ONLY part of the show that's "lip synched" is the voice of the angels during "Clockwork Angels." It's done robotically for the exact same reason that Neil plays that section of the song on the electric kit. It's the Clockwork Angels show, and if you don't know what that is, it's time to read the book.

As for the "againnnnnnnnnn" part of headlong flight, yes, Geddy does fire off a sample there, but its VERY low in the background, and is mainly used to get that extra little echo of the octave drop at the end of that note. Geddy really belts it out. If you check closely, you can see videos where he'll hit the wrong note for a second, and correct himself, or his voice will crack in the middle of it slightly. It's about as live as it gets.

• Like 2