Lip synching?

Yokkov

So me and my brother were siting tenth row right in front of geddy last night, and there were some points in the show where we really thought he was lip-synching. First, in that part in either clockwork angels or anarchist (i dont remember which specifically) where his voice sounds like he's singing through a radio, in the concert it sounded so exactly like the studio version, and also the volume went down when that started, and back up when the regular part kicked in. Also, that really high note in headlong flight was iffy. During one of the times he did it, he moved away from the mike, and the volume stayed exactly the same. Anyone else notice this?

I suppose it's possible. When they played Show Me Don't Tell Me on the Presto Tour and Roll The Bones Tour, Alex helped out with the chorus but you could also also hear it then as well as on the Different Stages version an extra Geddy harmony which I would guess if they were doing anything double tracking his voice for that part by triggering it as a sample from the sampler to thicken it up. Just me guessing.

Now back to Lip Synching. I am willing to give Ged the benefit of the doubt for it with this theory. When you saw it looked like Lip synching were you looking at the over head screens? Kinda important because there is a slight delay of sound and vision in these live settings. Perhaps that might be why. The megaphone sound you are referring to also is done via vocal processor which also can be problematic live. That section of the song gets lighter because the guitar switches to a more acoustic tone and the dynamics of the whole song switches.

Just some ideas and thoughts. If they are Lip Synching then they are. I don't think they should have to though. There may be other reasons why they would but who knows without asking them. Maybe somebody who gets lucky enough for the Meet and Greet can ask them or on one of those Radio call in shows?

NeilFinal.gif

Edited by jonnyj

he usually sings along with a vocal track, every time theres a chorus and stuff you can clearly hear 2-3 Geddys. On some songs like Earthshine in the past he does lip sing, on that CA microphone vocal effect he clearly wasn't singing. Doesn't take away from the performance, he only does that kind of thing in spots and the choruses with the 2-3 Geddys are a necessity since they need to be elevated and clearly Alex and Neil cant sing.

Regarding the part in "The Anarchist" with the altered voice: no, he probably ISN'T singing that part live. In "Double Agent," he used to sing just the first few words of "On the edge of sleep..." to trigger a sample of the altered voice part. (Samples can be triggered by a mike as well as by keyboard, foot pedal, drum pad, etc.) Ged probably triggered a sample of that vocal part in Anarchist and then continued "singing" along. Which is okay.

the headlong flight "WISH THAT I COULD LIVE IT ALL AGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN!!" was echoed, if i'm not mistaken.

Yes, and I find it quite disturbing.... Alex does the same thing with his guitar parts. I'm really beginning to wonder just how much of this show is "Live" and how much is playback. Funny how the band seem to think the audience actually believes that Alex is singing backing vocals...

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Sep 8 2012, 01:59 PM)
Yes, and I find it quite disturbing.... Alex does the same thing with his guitar parts. I'm really beginning to wonder just how much of this show is "Live" and how much is playback. Funny how the band seem to think the audience actually believes that Alex is singing backing vocals...

Hehe oh no don't tell me this. My fiance and I had this argument over if Alex was actually singing or not. Looks like he might be right.... this once.

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Sep 8 2012, 04:59 PM)

Geddy is really bad now with the keyboard samples. It's like he hit's a button on the keyboard or foot pedals and then it's all these prerecorded key samples which back in the day he would be playing note for note.

Example was The Anarchist when you get those deep Taurus bass notes, when that part comes up, he taps the foot pedal once and autopilot kicks in and the notes are there but Geddy is walking around the stage.

I hate it when musicians mellow with age!

QUOTE (ClassicB @ Sep 8 2012, 03:04 PM)

Geddy is really bad now with the keyboard samples. It's like he hit's a button on the keyboard or foot pedals and then it's all these prerecorded key samples which back in the day he would be playing note for note.

Example was The Anarchist when you get those deep Taurus bass notes, when that part comes up, he taps the foot pedal once and autopilot kicks in and the notes are there but Geddy is walking around the stage.

I hate it when musicians mellow with age!

Let's see how well we fare at 60, heh.

eh.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (Yokkov @ Sep 8 2012, 03:15 PM)
So me and my brother were siting tenth row right in front of geddy last night, and there were some points in the show where we really thought he was lip-synching. First, in that part in either clockwork angels or anarchist (i dont remember which specifically) where his voice sounds like he's singing through a radio, in the concert it sounded so exactly like the studio version, and also the volume went down when that started, and back up when the regular part kicked in. Also, that really high note in headlong flight was iffy. During one of the times he did it, he moved away from the mike, and the volume stayed exactly the same. Anyone else notice this?

the megaphone part is understandable I guess.....but in Headlong Flight? really? unsure.gif

I can understand using a recording instead of a vocal processor, as it could lead to a ton of problems. I can understand recordings for Geddy choirs because cloning hasn't been perfected yet (hell I find it very amusing when they have Alex lip sync those or the background vocals on songs like Time Stand Still) but anything else would be flat out insulting to me. Especially the high note in HF.

Also what's this about guitar parts being synced?!

Rush have been using 2nd and 3rd guitar tracks in songs for years, same goes for backing vocal samples. The hard part is hitting them at the right tempo as the sample starts. Since they are prerecorded they have a set tempo. Rush no longer use click tracks for reference which makes playing the songs with samples so much harder.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 8 2012, 06:06 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Sep 8 2012, 03:58 PM)
Anarchist is NOT lipped, I hav the bootleg.

The megaphone part sure sounds recorded to me, even though he looks like he's singing it.....

No, it's live, he swings with the tempo.

Funny how the band seem to think the audience actually believes that Alex is singing backing vocals...

Alex genuinely does sing backing vocals on occasion. It's no more apparent then the "Freewill" chorus at the SARStock concert from 2003:

Since it wasn't Rush's own crew working the sound, his mic was way too high in the mix. This is proof that he does sing backing vocals, it's just a question of how audible they are in the mix.

• Like 1

They are notorious cheaters and have been sampling vocal parts for years. It's usually supplemental. The feedback in Stick It Out is a trigger. As long as they trigger it "on the fly" they feel better about it but have played to sequencers in the past. Remember the headphones?

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 8 2012, 08:41 PM)
They are notorious cheaters and have been sampling vocal parts for years. It's usually supplemental. The feedback in Stick It Out is a trigger. As long as they trigger it "on the fly" they feel better about it but have played to sequencers in the past. Remember the headphones?

I remember when I was in high school around 1993 there were a couple of guys who played guitar in my class talking live bands. This was around the time Counterparts had just been released.

One of the guys (Brian) was a Phish fan and when the other one said Rush was the best live band, Brian said incredulously, "Rush is a computer."

rofl3.gif

You couldn't find a bigger Rush then me fan back then, but even I had to laugh. Compared to Phish, he's right. Thing is, that's who they are as a band (and as people).

Their music is tightly orchestrated, intense, dramatic, and executed with pinpoint precision. The live show is just a reflection of that, it's what the music demands.

The lip-synching of multi-part vocals and "flying in" of parts is to make the sound fuller, closer to the album. We know they can play the parts, it's just not physically possible while they are playing something else (unless they added members).

Would you prefer they left that stuff out and had a weaker sounding show or added "sidemen" to cover the parts?