Ok I'll specify my complaints

treeduck

I've no problem with them doing lots of Clockwork Angels, we knew they were gonna do that and it's a very good album (but I would prefer Seven Cities to Halo Effect and BU2B to Wish Them Well). Or the Power Windows songs...though there's probably too many...

If they're giving some songs a rest why not give Working Man a rest and Tom Sawyer?

If they're doing songs not played for a while off GUP why not Kid Gloves or Afterimage?

Why play Bravado and Where's My Thing again? Why not something like Cut to the Chase and alien Shore?

There's nothing from A Farewell to Kings, nothing much from Permanent Waves, nothing from Hemispheres. In fact there's 1 song from the 70s...

Ok I'm nit picking maybe but this is just not my kind of setlist I suppose, too much from the mid 80s, & the same old 90s tracks and almost zero from the 70s...

trink38.gif

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2012, 11:19 AM)
I've no problem with them doing lots of Clockwork Angels, we knew they were gonna do that and it's a very good album (but I would prefer Seven Cities to Halo Effect and BU2B to Wish Them Well). Or the Power Windows songs...though there's probably too many...

If they're giving some songs a rest why not give Working Man a rest and Tom Sawyer?

If they're doing songs not played for a while off GUP why not Kid Gloves or Afterimage?

Why play Bravado and Where's My Thing again? Why not something like Cut to the Chase and alien Shore?

There's nothing from A Farewell to Kings, nothing much from Permanent Waves, nothing from Hemispheres. In fact there's 1 song from the 70s...

Ok I'm nit picking maybe but this is just not my kind of setlist I suppose, too much from the mid 80s, & the same old 90s tracks and almost zero from the 70s...

trink38.gif

I don't disagree with any of this, as does Batman.

and if they are going to use strings why would you omit losing it?

a large portion of the setlist is the tried and true, stuff they will always play. thats a given and since CA is so good its a given that should be featured.

the first set has too many keyboard era tunes that i have seen numerous times.

if they could of only thrown in one epic like natural science, the weapon, xanadu or la villa i would be a bit more excited but as it stands now my enthusiasm level is low.

Edited by tangy

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2012, 03:19 PM)

I'm thrilled they've gone all 80's on us. You're just old. You so old when you were at school there was no history class! ZING!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 8 2012, 10:31 AM)

I'm thrilled they've gone all 80's on us. You're just old. You so old when you were at school there was no history class! ZING!

You're the old man!

old.gif 1287.gif

I don't mind the 80s but why not The Weapon, Afterimage, Kid Gloves, Between the Wheels, Jacob's Ladder, Natural Science...

They hardly ever do any Farewell to Kings!

They were the ones who said they were gonna dig out the old school classics? So where are they?

confused13.gif

I like Power Windows, so those songs are cool with me.....not a huge fan of hearing Red Sector A, Working Man, Bravado, Where's My Thing and can do without Halo Effect and Wish Them Well.....The YouTube clips sound pretty good though..

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 8 2012, 10:30 AM)
Why not something like Cut to the Chase and alien Shore?

Because they're shit.

No they're not! But the Body Electric is! It's a pseudo dance track! 1287.gif

And do they always reach for Bravado? Where's My Thing? Boooring!

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 8 2012, 10:40 AM)
I like Power Windows, so those songs are cool with me.....not a huge fan of hearing Red Sector A, Working Man, Bravado, Where's My Thing and can do without Halo Effect and Wish Them Well.....The YouTube clips sound pretty good though..

Agreed!

trink38.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 8 2012, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2012, 11:19 AM)

trink38.gif

I don't disagree with any of this, as does Batman.

bekloppt.gif

Where's my Thing is awesome! I'm excited to hear that one. I'm still confused why they're playing 4 songs from such a mediocre album (PoW) and they're not playing Marathon. I hope they play the leaked setlist since there were 6 songs I would've loved to hear from it....

I love Wish Them Well and am REALLY stoked it made it to the set. I would go for Seven Cities over Halo Effect for sure. As for all the mid-80s stuff, most of it I am very pleased to see it as I didn't have a chance to see the band between the PoW tour and T4E so saw that stuff only one or zero times. They could've dropped Red Sector A (preferably) or Big Money for a good 70s tune or 90s tune (Driven? Cut To The Chase?) though since I've seen both those songson more recent tours. Overall, I like it a lot.

VERY surprised Limelight isn't there.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2012, 10:40 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 8 2012, 10:30 AM)
Why not something like Cut to the Chase and alien Shore?

Because they're shit.

No they're not! But the Body Electric is! It's a pseudo dance track! 1287.gif

And do they always reach for Bravado? Where's My Thing? Boooring!

agreed.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2012, 10:38 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 8 2012, 10:31 AM)

You're the old man!

old.gif 1287.gif

I don't mind the 80s but why not The Weapon, Afterimage, Kid Gloves, Between the Wheels, Jacob's Ladder, Natural Science...

They hardly ever do any Farewell to Kings!

They were the ones who said they were gonna dig out the old school classics? So where are they?

confused13.gif

agree with all of this and i have no answer. biggrin.gif even the enemy within and the weapon, and so on....

QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Sep 8 2012, 10:48 AM)
Where's my Thing is awesome! I'm excited to hear that one. I'm still confused why they're playing 4 songs from such a mediocre album (PoW) and they're not playing Marathon. I hope they play the leaked setlist since there were 6 songs I would've loved to hear from it....

You should ad bad ass Rush (George St. Pierre) to your good Rush/bad Rush. Just sayin.

never liked where's my thing. hated it when they did it on the roll the bones tour and hate it now.

Starting off the show with 7 synth-era songs, ignoring everything before Signals for the first 21 songs, and skipping FBN-Hem while also playing 53 minutes of new material = Ballsy.

Yeah, a lot of the synth era stuff doesn't translate as well live and I would've preferred Open Secrets (never played), Middletown Dreams, Mystic Rhythms, Red Lenses, and Kid Gloves to Force Ten, The Big Money, Manhattan Project, The Body Electric, and Red Sector A. And it's a shame that Driven hasn't been put back in the set. And I'd like to hear Freeze, Nocturne, or Vapor Trail some day (or get Earthshine back in the set).

But we can't get everything. My only real complaint is that they ignored BU2B while playing Halo Effect and Wish Them Well (the only songs I skip on CA).

Overall the show was awesome. 4 Power Windows songs. Where's My Thing. Analog Kid. 9 CA songs. Strings. Multiple drum solos. Most staples dropped. I'm still reeling from it.

Where's my Thing is awesome!  I'm excited to hear that one.  I'm still confused why they're playing 4 songs from such a mediocre album (PoW) and they're not playing Marathon.  I hope they play the leaked setlist since there were 6 songs I would've loved to hear from it....

Marathon was played on the last tour.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 8 2012, 10:19 AM)

trink38.gif

I can see your point Duckman...but this is a fantastic setlist. If CA is the best album since PoW (as you've said) I'd think you'd be pumped about it? I agree that Working Man needs to be retired. I'd be happy if they did instrumentals from the 70's.

Does this mean you'll attend the concerts and cross your arms during those songs??? laugh.gif

In my mind, getting this much CA is worth price alone. What a tremendous album 2.gif

Oh...I think I've said that before...sorry

Two cents from a Rush fan/fanatic of 35 years. I've been fortunate to have seen Rush on 12 different tours. While I understand the boys must highlight their new music, I'm not a big fan of any album post "Power Windows". Sure, each album has some great tunes but not a one imo is strong from top to bottom like their older albums (again, PW and pre PW) therefore, with the exception of a few tunes (Headlong is my favorite from CA) my wife (her first show was Hemispheres tour) and I just don't get into the new stuff like we did in the old days of Rush.

The first set was interesting enough but I think Big Money would have been a better and more energized opener than Subdivisions, a great song from Signals but one I am tired of. The two highlights for me from the last tour were Camera Eye and Marathon, my favorite song from the Grace/ Power era. Thought they would at least do Marathon again. Still, love hearing Territories and Manhattan Project. Bravado blows, imo.

As expected, the 2nd set was top heavy with CA numbers which appear to come off well based on what I have seen on Youtube. Again, too many new numbers for my liking but that would have been a moot point if they would have just played Xanadu, Jacobs Ladder or perhaps partial Hemispheres, instead of the tired and worn out Working Man and Tom Sawyer.

Watching the tunes on Youtube my first thought is, maybe a drop-off in quality and song selection from what we have grown accustomed to. I dunno. I do admit that on their worst night playing their worst stuff, they are still miles better than more popular acts like Springsteen and U2 to name a mere few. Its just, the bar is set so high, my wife and I have come to expect the absolute best from Rush and though we weren't at the show, what I see on Youtube appears to me that they are not up to standard.

This is just one, well two persons opinions. Not saying I'm right and someone who loves this show is wrong. Its a subjective thing to a degree. Doubt we're going to see them this time around but hopefully they'll do something special for their 40th anniversary maybe along the lines of the 2000 Yes Masterworks tour. Wouldn't that be something.