Clockwork Angels is for the young in spirit

Astroboy2112

there is nothing generational about needing a touch of high end, its just engineering.

I also listened to that ELP Tarkus re-mix that was referenced earlier and I thought it was too bright, and lacking all the depth and warmth of the original.

just my 6 cents

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Oct 14 2012, 08:09 PM)
QUOTE (Smegger68 @ Sep 13 2012, 02:04 AM)
Astroboy, you clearly like the modern 'muddy' production sound. Fine. Plenty of people don't. This does not make them wrong. Deal with it.

It's not wrong to not like it, that's not what im saying, what it's wrong is to think that because YOU dont like it is 100% proven that it sounds bad,horrible, muddy, etc

Rush's using another gens way of tuning/mixing/mastering/production and it has been proven time and time again people are biased, more partial, more protective, have more nostalgia, have more fondness, more preference to THEIR generation's sound. CA clearly does not sound like the 70's or 80's music these fans are used to.

CA is a contemporary record and sounds like a contemporary record. Got rave reviews by current critics and everybody who understands what they are going for in terms of sound.

The problem is that these people insist that the mix/mastering/production is bad,horrible, a mess, etc It's completely arrogant to think that because is not up to your liking is 100% proven that it sounds bad. Again, these people have become their parents.Totally unwilling to do some research and try to understand a different sound.

If i play Coheed and Cambria, Foo Fighters, Stone Sour, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, etc to these fans they are all going to say that it's sounds horrible, too loud, and muddy and all the usual complaints CA has received. Why because your listening to it with YOUR gens perspective.However if I play those bands to the current gen of fans that go in droves to see those acts those fans are going to say that they sound awesome. Why? Because they dont know any better? No, it's because is their sound, its their gens sound and they grew up with it and love it. Now if I play AFTK, Hemispheres, PW, MP (albums that are the pinnacle of sound to Rush fans) to the current gen a lot are going to say that it sounds terrible and old. Why? Because it doesnt sound like their music, they are protective of their sound, and this sounds too different from what they are used too. It goes both ways. Is a lack of understanding of the evolution of rock's sound.

If these Rush fans did a little homework into the bands that are influencing Rush's contemporary sound they might be able to understand that the album does sound like it's meant to sound - they want to sound like that and that's why they got Nick whose previous work all sounds like that! They certainly didnt get Nick and co to have CA sound like a Terry Brown record.

In 4-5 years when Rush releases a new modern record produced by a young guy like Nick its going to be the same problem all over again. I would like these fans to understand that theres a difference between saying that this current gen type of rock sound is not appealing to them instead of saying that it CA sounds horrible, Rush doesnt care about quality control, and all the ignorant nonsense that gets thrown around just because your not familiar or dont like the way rock sounds this gen.

All of which would be fine if it wasn't for the simple fact that the Vinyl is mastered very differently to the CD. It sounds much more like those horrible old albums you mention, and all the better for it.

So is this what Rush intended? 1 album, 2 different masters for different generations?

CA really just needs a little more sparkle and clarity on the top end. Compare the album and single mixes of Caravan and you'll hear it. (Which of these mixes is "correct" for "this generation", OP?)

CA has massive low end. It does sound nice on a system with the headroom and response that can handle it. The Anarchist sounds deadly with those rolling toms on the intro and other parts, and the Taurus pedals that kick in during the guitar solo.

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Sep 8 2012, 12:27 AM)
Have you listened to Nick R's body of work? No right? Do you think that Rush hired Nick without hearing his previous work...Get out of your comfort zone, grab some of Nick R's produced records and comeback to this album and maybe you'll get it but going from listening to Permanent Waves (1981) to CA (2012) wont help you gain an understanding of CA at the sonic level.

I like Nick. In fact, his work with Foo Fighters with 'In Your Honor' (at least the first disc) is one of my favorite records because it's so raw. I agree, it's refreshing to hear Rush this heavy. I really don't contribute it as much to Nick though.

I do feel he's really pushed them musically and has broken down their hesitation to try to hold back on the theatrics of their playing. i.e. compare presto to 2112, there came a point where I think maturity settled in and they made a conscious effort to not play very flashy (*cough Dream Theater). In that sense, I do feel he's brought out more of a youthful spirit to them.

However, Vapor Trails is heavy as *&^%. Production aside, those were some heavy songs and Nick was obviously not involved with that record. While I liked S&A there were many sleeper moments. I wouldn't exactly call it a heavy record (not saying you did, I'm just examining all of Nick's work with the band currently, as opposed to just CA).