Clockwork Angels is for the young in spirit

Astroboy2112

Ok this is my response to all these old grumpy old men stuck in the 80's who dont have a clue about modern rock sounds and yet get in their high horse, brag that they have $5,000 audio systems and criticize CA here and elsewhere...

Have you listened to Nick R's body of work? No right? Do you think that Rush hired Nick without hearing his previous work!? Have you ever considered that maybe the problem is not CA but your lack of familiarity and knowledge of the modern bands that currently influence Rush's sound? Do you honestly think that they got Nick R so he could mix CA like Peter Collins would and he just failed miserably at it?!

You guys need to stop this CA sounds like Rush doesn't care about sound anymore crap. CA sounds the way that it was meant to sound. Rush obviously heard Nick's work on coheed and cambria, stone sour, foo fighters, Deftones, Trivium, etc etc You guys clearly haven't! Otherwise you'll realize that those records sound like CA does!! They wanted that KICK ASS loud sound because CA is a KICK ASS album. Get it?

It's tiring to hear that CA it's too loud. It's *^$* meant to be loud and heavy!! You are beginning to sound like your parents when you were little. "Son that Black Sabath stuff sounds terrible, that's too loud and messy! Here listen to The Everly Brothers" Well that's you now. You've become that person. You are stubborn in your ways and way too protective of the sounds you grew up with. Everything else is unacceptable! Your stuck in your generation's sound and music. RUSH ISNT!!! They are not that type of band they are looking FWD ALWAYS!

On the CA fanpack Neil mentions how he stays in touch with his inner 17 year old and asks him whether he thinks what they are doing is cool.You guys lost that. Were you simply listening to the music when you were 17 or where you looking at waveforms and going wow this shit is all wrong. Look at this waveform, this is too loud!!!?

It's not Rush's fault that some fans simply don't listen to any modern music and are stuck in the 70's or 80's. CA is a kickass record with a kickass mix. Just because it sounds modern doesnt make it bad. Learn to understand modern mixing and mastering instead of dismissing them as "too loud" "no clarity", "a mess" and all these other ignorant comments. You are listening to a 2012 Hard rock record looking for 70's or 80's soft rock sounds - not happening! I want my clarity on mellow material (like presto for example) i want my space on a atmospheric nocturnal kinda record but not on kickass material like BU2B, The Anarchist or Headlong Flight!! On that type of material i want a loud in your face mix that makes me want to rock! They are modern KICK ASS rock songs meant to sound like modern KICK ASS rock songs!! That's just how modern mixing of heavy music is done. People like it and it has always been the norm in the rock world. Each era wants to sound different from the previous one. Does the new generation of rock listeners want their Linkin Park, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, etc to sound like Journey or Van Halen?! Hell no! They sound the way they sound on purpose, just like Rush sounds the way they sound on CA on purpose. They want to attract new listeners, they want to make new fans, they are catering to the young and young in spirit with this new record and you just don't do that mixing your album like an 80's album.

You know why modern rock critics like this album? Because they understand the modern rock sound it has and can appreciate the awesome material in the record. You know why you old audiophiles dont like it? It's because as much as you think you know about sound you simply don't know jack about modern rock sounds and since you can't get pass the sound you cant discover how truly awesome this record is.

Get out of your comfort zone, grab some of Nick R's produced records and comeback to this album and maybe you'll get it but going from listening to Permanent Waves (1981) to CA (2012) wont help you gain an understanding of CA at the sonic level. Finally, get in touch with ur inner kid and listen to this album as if you were a kid and you will see it's magic.

Edited by Astroboy2112
  • Like 1

I think Geddys bass sounds excellent on Clockwork Angles, but the rest of the mix is so noisy. I don't think this has anything to do with a modern sound. It's has to do with the quality of the mix. Check out Alice Coopers new cd Welcome 2 My Nightmare. This album obvoiusly is using modern technology, but the mix is so much more enjoyable to listen to.

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Sep 8 2012, 12:27 AM)
Ok this is my response to all these old grumpy old men stuck in the 80's who dont have a clue about modern rock sounds and yet get in their high horse, brag that they have $5,000 audio systems and criticize CA here and elsewhere...

Have you listened to Nick R's body of work? No right? Do you think that Rush hired Nick without hearing his previous work!? Have you ever considered that maybe the problem is not CA but your lack of familiarity and knowledge of the modern bands that currently influence Rush's sound? Do you honestly think that they got Nick R so he could mix CA like Peter Collins would and he just failed miserably at it?!

You guys need to stop this CA sounds like Rush doesn't care about sound anymore crap. CA sounds the way that it was meant to sound. Rush obviously heard Nick's work on coheed and cambria, stone sour, foo fighters, Deftones, Trivium, etc etc You guys clearly haven't! Otherwise you'll realize that those records sound like CA does!! They wanted that KICK ASS loud sound because CA is a KICK ASS album. Get it?

It's tiring to hear that CA it's too loud. It's *^$* meant to be loud and heavy!! You are beginning to sound like your parents when you were little. "Son that Black Sabath stuff sounds terrible, that's too loud and messy! Here listen to The Everly Brothers" Well that's you now. You've become that person. You are stubborn in your ways and way too protective of the sounds you grew up with. Everything else is unacceptable! Your stuck in your generation's sound and music. RUSH ISNT!!! They are not that type of band they are looking FWD ALWAYS!

On the CA fanpack Neil mentions how he stays in touch with his inner 17 year old and asks him whether he thinks what they are doing is cool.You guys lost that. Were you simply listening to the music when you were 17 or where you looking at waveforms and going wow this shit is all wrong. Look at this waveform, this is too loud!!!?

It's not Rush's fault that some fans simply don't listen to any modern music and are stuck in the 70's or 80's. CA is a kickass record with a kickass mix. Just because it sounds modern doesnt make it bad. Learn to understand modern mixing and mastering instead of dismissing them as "too loud" "no clarity", "a mess" and all these other ignorant comments. You are listening to a 2012 Hard rock record looking for 70's or 80's soft rock sounds - not happening! I want my clarity on mellow material (like presto for example) i want my space on a atmospheric nocturnal kinda record but not on kickass material like BU2B, The Anarchist or Headlong Flight!! On that type of material i want a loud in your face mix that makes me want to rock! They are modern KICK ASS rock songs meant to sound like modern KICK ASS rock songs!! That's just how modern mixing of heavy music is done. People like it and it has always been the norm in the rock world. Each era wants to sound different from the previous one. Does the new generation of rock listeners want their Linkin Park, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, etc to sound like Journey or Van Halen?! Hell no! They sound the way they sound on purpose, just like Rush sounds the way they sound on CA on purpose. They want to attract new listeners, they want to make new fans, they are catering to the young and young in spirit with this new record and you just don't do that mixing your album like an 80's album.

You know why modern rock critics like this album? Because they understand the modern rock sound it has and can appreciate the awesome material in the record. You know why you old audiophiles dont like it? It's because as much as you think you know about sound you simply don't know jack about modern rock sounds and since you can't get pass the sound you cant discover how truly awesome this record is.

Get out of your comfort zone, grab some of Nick R's produced records and comeback to this album and maybe you'll get it but going from listening to Permanent Waves (1981) to CA (2012) wont help you gain an understanding of CA at the sonic level. Finally, get in touch with ur inner kid and listen to this album as if you were a kid and you will see it's magic.

goodpost.gif

(From a female 2.gif fan)

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif trink39.gif

cheer.gif common001.gif icon_alienjig.gif

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Sep 7 2012, 10:27 PM)

Source?

and fwiw I'm a big Coheed fan.

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Sep 7 2012, 10:27 PM)
It's not Rush's fault that some fans simply don't listen to any modern music and are stuck in the 70's or 80's. CA is a kickass record with a kickass mix. Just because it sounds modern doesnt make it bad. Learn to understand modern mixing and mastering instead of dismissing them as "too loud" "no clarity", "a mess" and all these other ignorant comments. You are listening to a 2012 Hard rock record  looking for 70's or 80's soft rock sounds - not happening!

Erm... I'm no quality buff, and it's apparent you aren't either. I'm sure people disliking this album's mixing is not due to the fact that it's modern...

Edited by Mr. IsNot

I do recognize the title track is very muddy, and I don't like that...

Referring to other modern musicians, Steven Wilson's Grace For Drowning record can be heavy as progressive rock gets, while still maintaining a clean sound.

Apologies for the multiple posts, I should get some rest.

Edited by Mr. IsNot

Mr is Not Im a big fan of Steven Wilson, Blackfield and PT. The material on Grace doesnt resemble CA's. Grace's material is more like a throwback to the classic 70's prog rock era and It's way much more atmospheric and nocturnal than CA. CA is more straight forward (still complex) Hard Rock than Grace hence it's mixed like a modern Hard rock record as it should.

If Clockwork Angels sounds muddy to u, im sure ur opinion of bands like Slipknot will be like "wow that's just random noise".

In regards to sound, people are always partial to their generation's sound. When i was in high school in the 90's all o my friends hated Rush not because of the material per se but because they sounded like an 80's band. They just sounded old compared to Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and all those bands that they were into at the time but then Rush released Test for Echo. All of a sudden my friends dug Rush! They all thought the T4E was an awesome album. Now how on earth do u like T4E but not like 2112, MP, etc? Simple, the sound. T4E was mixed by Andy Wallace, same guy that was mixing Nirvana and Rage Against the Machine records. T4E sounded like the records they were listening to at the time and so thanks to that familiarity with the sound they were able to enjoy it.

What's happening with Rush fans today is the exact same thing. How many of the CA detractors are listening to Nick R produced bands? I'm sure if people familiarize themselves with the current rock sound Rush was going for in CA and give modern hard rockin' bands a try they will find CA more palatable.

"Have you listened to Nick R's body of work?"

I was recently listening to Danzig 7, i luciferi which Nick worked on and can categorically state it has the most god awful sound production I have ever heard. Utter s-h-i-t-e

Thankfully CA is a lot better, however in my ear's opinion it's not rush's finest album sound wise (that would be Counterparts) but it is saved by absolutely kick ass songs and Geddy's bass.

To the OP:

First off, calm down dude, most of us really love the album! tongue.gif

I can totally understand that there's a difference in mixing/mastering these days, but based on everything I've heard, I definitely prefer mixing from the 60's and 70's. The loudness wars definitely have too many casualties. I don't think there's any reason you can't have heavy and in your face, and also have clarity at the same time.

That said, the sound issues/mixing on CA is a VERY minor complaint for me. It really doesn't affect my enjoyment of the album in an appreciable way. Would I like the mix to be clearer and have better instrument separation, etc.? Absolutely, but it's not a big deal. It's light years from the painful to listen to muddy sludge of VT.

• Like 1

Wow....i have an old spirit. Hey listen, I just want an album that doesn't make my ears bleed.....Nick, if he works with Rush again, needs to realize.....the Foo Fighters they are not. Having said that CA does have some killer tracks, I just wish they were given better treatment. that's all i've been saying.

Mick

I agree 100%

I would also add that the sonic qualities aren't nearly as important for me as the songs and the playing.

Case in point:

Charlie Parker - recorded on 50s era crap recording technology - mono

Kenny G - Recorded 80s style - beautiful sound quality and mixes

I still listen to The Bird - Kenny G is all in the garbage can where it belongs.

It's not that important.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 8 2012, 06:26 AM)
It's light years from the painful to listen to muddy sludge of VT.

Gee, who saw that coming? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

wink.gif

Anyway, regarding the OP, I can see what he's saying. As an older guy, I don't enjoy a lot of the newer sounds bands are putting out. I'm not certain it's the production, though. It's the material.

As far as CA, I like the production. I love VT. I also dug the punk movement back in the day, and I enjoy the gnarly production of the old 78's I have. For me, great songs are great songs. Great, clean, rich, soundcan = ala Supertramp = can be a nice bonus, but it's not a prerequisite.

And yes, Rush is for the young in spirit.

52 years old.

Own every Coheed album and not one of them sounds as dense as CA.

Also love Porcupine Tree, Bob Schneider, Young the Giant, AFI and so on.

Maybe I'm critical of the CA mix because I love Rush so much that I expect/need the absolute best from them.

My 2 cents.

Good Job young man--you're right on many levels trink39.gif

So much of what you said is simply bollocks that I don't really think I'll bother trying to address your points. The album is badly MASTERED, not badly PRODUCED. Nothing to do with Nick R, all to do with Brian G.

I totally disagree with that! The old grumpy men are stuck in the seventies. tongue.gif

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Sep 8 2012, 07:26 AM)
Ok this is my response to all these old grumpy old men stuck in the 80's  who dont have a clue about modern rock sounds and yet get in their high horse, brag that they have $5,000 audio systems and criticize CA here and elsewhere...

It's not Rush's fault that some fans simply don't listen to any modern music and are stuck in the 70's or 80's. CA is a kickass record with a kickass mix. Just because it sounds modern doesnt make it bad. Learn to understand modern mixing and mastering instead of dismissing them as "too loud" "no clarity", "a mess" and all these other ignorant comments. You are listening to a 2012 Hard rock record  looking for 70's or 80's soft rock sounds - not happening! I want my clarity on  mellow material (like presto for example)  i want my space on a atmospheric nocturnal kinda record but not on kickass material like BU2B, The Anarchist or Headlong Flight!! On that type of material i want a loud in your face mix that makes me want to rock! They are modern KICK ASS rock songs meant to sound like modern KICK ASS rock songs!! That's just how modern mixing of heavy music is done. People like it and it has always been the norm in the rock world. Each era wants to sound different from the previous one. Does the new generation of rock listeners want their  Linkin Park, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, etc to sound like Journey or Van Halen?! Hell no! They sound the way they sound on purpose, just like Rush sounds the way they sound on CA on purpose. They want to attract new listeners, they want to make new fans, they are catering to the young and young in spirit with this new record and you just don't do that mixing your album like an 80's album.

Get out of your comfort zone, grab some of Nick R's produced records and comeback to this album and maybe you'll get it but going from listening to Permanent Waves (1981) to CA (2012) wont help you gain an understanding of CA  at the sonic level. Finally, get in touch with ur inner kid and listen to this album as if you were a kid  and you will see it's magic.

I agree 100%

I would also add that the sonic qualities aren't nearly as important for me as the songs and the playing.

Case in point:

Charlie Parker - recorded on 50s era crap recording technology - mono

Kenny G - Recorded 80s style - beautiful sound quality and mixes

I still listen to The Bird - Kenny G is all in the garbage can where it belongs.

It's not that important.

Props to Bird!

Clockwork Angels seems mastered with earbuds in mind. It's just a fact of modern life in a much louder world. I can live with it.

I solved any issues (very minor) I had with the sound by buying a turntable and getting the album on vinyl. Amazing.

Haha, it's funny because you demonize people who are on a "high horse," yet here you sit firmly perched on one yourself while you do the demonizing. When your rant starts like that, it's hard to take the rest of it seriously. Edited by NYM86

ive been told by my kids i can be a grumpy old man.im almost 52.but i love the new cd. 2.gif rocks as usual,this will be show sweet 16 for me nov.17,i missed the GUP TO PRESTO TOURS so im lookin forward to this set list.they cant play to everyones favs or they would be there till 4am every night............. rofl3.gif

Your right ! you got me pegged ! that is me a old fart stuck in the 80s era Rush. I admit it . And I don't listen to most modern bands because to me they suck . I once bought a Coheed cd and couldnt listen to it past 4 songs and never listened to it again . I have the new Foo Fighters because I though the song ROPE kicked ass . Like I said in other post I UNDERSTAND the direction RUSH has taken musicially since the reuinification . I UNDERSTAND why Alex is playing the way he is . I UNDERSTAND why the word synthesizer has become pariah to this band that used them so well in the that period. I UNDERSTAND why this version of RUSH has basically become a bass and drum band and I don't HAVE to like it.

In fact in the absence of listening to RUSH I have went back and discovered other "80's bands" that I missed in my foggy 20's . I'm not going to list them because it is a mute point to do so on this board . I have rediscovers all the great old tunes that use the INSTRUMENTS I like to hear . And a funny thing I noticed is in the comments to these songs I usually run across someone ( a old insignificant fart like me who has no right to participate in the marketplace that is music pffft ) who remembers when these songs were fresh and how exciting it was . OR a teenager who plays a instrument or has a parent who listens to these bands and understands why all new music sucks ass hard compared to music from earlier eras . RUSH wants to remain relevant and they have achived that . But I don't have to like it and I don't

Edited by patjnev

"Modern Rock Sound" is not really a recording technique...it's the way bands sound now days. They are loud and noisy. You think recording engineers are adding noise to records on purpose? Hell no...the bands are noisy and this noise makes it onto the recording.

I like some "modern" bands, but so many of them just aren't very good musicians and don't play with any clarity. This is what you hear as your "modern sound".

There is no reason why Loud can't equal Clear. There is no reason every modern rock record has to sound the same. So the whole "loudness" thing wouldn't be an issue if bands played with more clarity. Hell, you can record audio up to 0db (the limit) and still make it clear.

Also, about being old and not relating to the sound of "modern rock music": Anyone with any knowledge of sound and music will tell you that digital recording has reduced the sonic enjoyment of music. Try playing the record version, vs the MP3 version for anyone, especially a kid. They will all say the record sounds so much better. Sound quality has nothing to do with age.It sounds good or it doesn't.