Manchester Reaction *SPOILERS*

Joesaracer

Last night was Rush concert #42 for me.

It's not that surprising that they gave the ASOH synth period its due after being minimally representing live for 20 years, but never did I expect them to play 9 of those songs at a single show. And they started the show with 7 of them, completely ignoring everything before Signals for the first 21 songs of the show. Wow!

Doing that on a tour when they also played 9 new songs was especially ballsy. Only 4 pre-Signals songs were played (2 MP, 1 PeW, 1 Rush). All albums from FBN to Hem, Presto, and CP to VT ignored! I had anticipated a lot of new tunes, but still to get 53 minutes of new material (the most ever), all played in a row (another first) was a treat.

PoW was my favorite album for 25 years (until Clockwork Angels arrived), so to get 3 of its songs early in the set plus a 4th later was incredible (though I would've preferred Middletown Dreams and Mystic Rhythms to The Big Money and Manhattan Project).

Getting multiple drum solos was also very cool, as was the return of Where's My Thing. I don't care for The Body Electric, but it was fun to hear it live (especially that bass intro). Analog Kid is always awesome.

The string section (yet another first) was also nifty, but it was surprising that they were only used on 2 of the synth era songs (plus CA and YYZ). I would've loved to hear them on Subdivisions, Grand Designs, Territories, and during the opening of TSOR (and on La Villa or Middletown Dreams, had they been played).

My only complaint is that they played Halo Effect and Wish them Well (the only two songs from CA that I skip) while not playing BU2B (my 4th favorite from CA).

Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist, Carnies, and Headlong Flight were incredible live. Just jaw dropping.

Lifeson made a couple mistakes... the flub during the Tom Sawyer solo was hilarious: he realized he missed, paused as he considered how to recover, and then kept going, while grinning and laughing. He made faces at the audience, pointed to himself, and held his nose. He then smelled his armpit, and again made "I stink" gestures. Too funny.

I also saw opening night in Albany in 1996 (start of the "Evening with" format, the return of Natural Science, all of 2112 for the first time) and Hartford in 2002 (Between Sun and Moon for the first time, the acoustic version of Resist, the return of Cygnus, Bytor, and Working Man) while also ignoring all Rush news until my first shows during the SnA tour (the big surprises that time were getting 9 new songs, Digital Man, Entre Nous, Mission, Circumstances, and a Passage to Bangkok) and the TM tour (unexpected was Presto, Time Stand Still, Faithless, Marathon).

Hartford was probably the best show because of how emotional it was, but last night's show was the most shocking. Easily.

Even though the synth era stuff doesn't translate as well live, and this was a very unbalanced set, it was a fantastic show. I look forward to Bridgeport and Boston.

Edited by deslock

Thanks for sharing your reviews and thoughts on the show. How awesome it is that we still get to see Rush play live!! Only 79 wakeups till I get to see the spectacle for myself. Thanks again.

Peace

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Latest Manchester reaction.

Buy a program!!!

It's a wonderful read, as usual. I really like Alex's URL. http://www.stoopidrush.com/... laugh.gif rofl3.gif

Great photos (RIP Andrew rose.gif )

2.gif 1022.gif

I'm pretty sure the kit spin is intentional, since he got up immediately to play the electronic side.

I also loved that Geddy dubbed them the "Clockwork Angels String Section", and thought it was fitting when he said it was time to bid "a farewll to strings".

(Their final bow could have been lit for us to see them though. I'm sure they'll have a better handle on these things as the tour goes on.) laugh.gif

QUOTE (Middle Kingdom @ Sep 8 2012, 08:45 PM)
I'm pretty sure the kit spin is intentional, since he got up immediately to play the electronic side.

You'd have thought they'd have developed some sort of way that Neil's drum stool stays still while the kit moves, thus he doesn't need to get up. Still, this all sounds awesome! Can't wait until next May! laugh.gif

Eeeee! I'm listening to the setlist again (Body Electric right now) - 3rd time today. It was so good! I wanna see it again!!!

...it replays each of the days a hundred years of routines; bows its head and prays to the mother of all machines...

cheer.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

So pumped to hear Manhatten Project! This is my favorite Non-Epic Rush song! Also lots of songs from PW and CW...Nice! 653.gif

I got a 3.5 hr drive to see the boyz tomorrow up in DC. I will be cranking the jams!

QUOTE (Middle Kingdom @ Sep 8 2012, 08:45 AM)

Getting home his wife sees the suit and asks what happens. He says "this guy threw up on my suit and gave me $20 to get it cleaned". The wife says "that's great, but there's $40 here." And the guy says "Oh the other $20 is from the guy that pooped in my pants".

that joke is from Eli's Dirty Jokes on Youtube. Classic. I tell it all the time. rofl3.gif

Was there last night.......up top in 208! biggrin.gif

Loved Grand Designs, Territories as far as new live songs....

LOVED CA live but wished 7 Cities instead of Wish....A friend of mine now loves CA songs after hearing them live, whereas he was lukewarm before.....

Too much 80s, wished more of an even career spread......esp 70s.

Disappointed that Losing It and Jacobs Ladder not there.....not more of Signals??

Did not like video footage.....just weird......

String sounds too subdued....

Loved the light show!