Manchester Reaction *SPOILERS*

Joesaracer

Wow! Just got back from the show, and needless to say it was one of the most fantastic experiences I've ever been through at a Rush show. In my opinion it was the best first set they've ever done. I've never seen so many people high-fiveing each other because of the material that was being played!

I thought I would go through a song by song review with detail. Many of you want to know the details, and I'd be happy to answer any questions.

First Set:

Opened with a silly video of the boys being "put" together by their respective roadies. Alex was inflated by a lever, Geddy's head was stretched out as if he was warming up his voice, and Gump was putting Neil together piece by piece with Neil adding, "Don't forget to put my head on this time!!"

Subdivisions: Great choice for an opener. Other than that, there was nothing noteworthy, no changes, etc. BUT the crowd went insane, per usual.

The Big Money: Very cool to see this come back. Alex flubbed the middle of the guitar solo, ala Rush in Rio, but Neil stayed on point and everyone joined back at the same point. Crisis averted. They ended the song with the "ONE MILLION DOLLARS!" quote from Austin Powers.

Force Ten: Good to see this back as well. Lots of energy during this song. Alex had an extended, bluesy solo! It was about 16 bars and then he went into the usual wailing.

Grand Designs: The first surprise of the night! Geddy introduced this one. I couldn't believe it! Alex's guitar sounded mean the whole song (the whole concert really), but playing this song in a heavier sounding time period blew my socks off. It worked that well. Crowd went bonkers. I think Alex might need a few shows to knock of the rust on this solo.

The Body Electric: I was like ARE YOU KIDDING ME? WOW!!! Geddy's bass on the intro: WOW. Sounded great. Out of all of the "relics", this was the song I felt Neil changed most of his part for. Still sounded great, although I think they shortened the ending by a few bars. Alex nailed the solo.

Territories: You can't be serious, right? Great rendition. Completely faithful to the album version. Bass sounded mean the entire song. I got 30 seconds or so of video of this song, I'll try to post it later. The chorus seemed quieter, but it wasn't a negative.

The Analog Kid: Ged announced this one. It was amazing. Couldn't hear Alex's solo because the crowd went nuts, but he was shredding. They ended the song ala Different Stages version.

Bravado: Nice change of pace. And by pace, I mean it was SLOW. Not that it was a bad rendition. It was a great rendition. Neil seemed to shorten the extended solo part a bit, but maybe they're doing that on purpose.

Where's My Thing: Wow, talk about coming out of left field! The song started with the synthesizer background mood with Neil on the high hats and Geddy absolutely ripping it up. This was Roll the Bones on steroids. REALLY HEAVY. I think Alex forgot to play the lead during the first two chorus sections, but remembered the last time around. The drum solo(!) started when Neil does his big snare drum fill before the last chorus. The solo was concise, which was actually very nice to hear. They came back in with the post bridge part and extended the outro by 8 bars. VERY COOL.

Far Cry: Really? I mean Really? If they chose something else! My goodness. I felt this was the only song that didn't fit the set. Explosion during the usual place.

SECOND SET

About two minutes before the second set started, the strings joined the stage. About 10-12.

The intro to the second set featured a steampunk castle, if you will, with a tax collector, who was played by Jay Baruchel. He was dressed in 1960's type clothing and dealt with gnome Geddy, gnome Neil, and troll Alex!! It was like a horror house for Jay! Very funny.

Caravan: They had trouble cueing it up. Geddy missed the original intro and then the loop suddenly stopped. When the whole band came in, members of the string ensemble jumped up and started head banging and playing at the same time! So cool! I felt badly for them because of the flames and whatnot that were used during the song.

Clockwork Angels: Excellent rendition. Strings played on this song as well. Right when the post guitar solo part started, Neil's set turned around, to everyone's surprise. He had to miss a measure of the song to adjust, as well as when the verse began, when the set spun around again.

The Anarchist: Anticipated this one! Beautiful rendition. Geddy had an awesome harmony for the "There's a missing part of me that grows around me like a cage part." AWESOME.

Carnies: To me, this was the best CA song of the night. WOW! So much power and energy. The chorus was NUTS. Strings again, as they were for all the CA material. The ending may have been the most epic part of the whole concert. Right after the solo "WHEEL OF FATE!!" part. Every special effect on stage went off. Fire, flares, lights everywhere, strobes...Then they end it with a huge concussion grenade blast! So excited for people to see this!

The Wreckers: Alex has a solo at the end!!! He shredded for 30 seconds or so and they rejoined playing the main theme and ending it there.

Headlong Flight: Let me make this clear. I am not a huge fan of Headlong Flight. Espescially the chorus. This song is meant to be played live. No if's, and's or but's about it. Geddy's voice was PHENOMENAL on this song. He hit all the high notes WITH EASE!!! His voice may have been the highlight of the night! Neil had ANOTHER drum solo during this song. This time it was only a minute.

Halo Effect: Ged and Neil left the stage and let Alex have 2 or so minutes alone on stage to play some improv electric guitar. Very moody. He then began the song with Geddy. They got to the chorus, and there was no Neil. And then he ran up and started playing! He forgot he was supposed to return to the drums hahaha! Faithful rendition.

Wish Them Well: Very nice version. Alex added a tasty harmonic part to the arpeggiated part. They ended the song with a faux rap from Alex! It was unusual, but funny.

The Garden: Alex played the piano part. The guitar part was triggered underneath. He flubbed a note in the piano solo, but his guitar solo during this song was the best of the night. Note for note from the album. Sounded beautiful.

Manhattan Project: Before the song started, they had a few technical difficulties. So Alex, the comedian he is says, "HEY! Who wants to hear a joke?" And let me tell you, it was a dirty joke, but it was HILARIOUS.

This song was awesome. Strings were great. They original bridge part with the strings was cool, but the strings overlayed that part on the last chorus which was COOL!

Red Sector A: ANOTHER Neil drum solo to start. This time on the electronics. This was my favorite solo. It was really melodic and electronica sounding.

The song was awesome. They had the concussion grenade during the "shouting guards and smoking guns part." Alex had no delay or echo on his guitar. The verses sounded clean rather than overlayed. Strings played an absolutely nuts harmony during Neil's fills before the choruses.

YYZ: Ugh. I didn't want to hear it, but the strings played too!

Working Man: Reggae intro. Straightforward.

Encore

Neil came out with a t-shirt cannon. I am not kidding. It was awesome and it shoots all the way to the back of the arena.

Tom Sawyer: Oh my, Alex just couldn't play the solo. He gave up and shrugged his shoulders and laughed and laughed. He was self-depricating the rest of the song.

Spirit of Radio: Nice end to the show.

Ending Video

Baruchel waiting in line for the Watchmaker, which happens to be a room with Ged, Neil, and Al partying with hot chicks.

OK!! Any questions let me know!

Great breakdown!

One small correction...

About two minutes before the second set started, the strings joined the stage. About 10-12.

There were 8 players in the ensemble. I posted about it here

Also, the electric Alex solo between Headlong and Halo...

I'm not a musician, but the tuning on that guitar seemed REALLY unusual. Sounded cool, tho. And I thought I heard bits of BU2B2 in there. Or am I mistaken?

QUOTE (sitboaf @ Sep 8 2012, 01:16 AM)
Great breakdown!
One small correction...

There were 8 players in the ensemble. I posted about it here

Also, the electric Alex solo between Headlong and Halo...

I'm not a musician, but the tuning on that guitar seemed REALLY unusual. Sounded cool, tho. And I thought I heard bits of BU2B2 in there. Or am I mistaken?

I thought the solo sounded fine. hmm.

If there were eight musicians, there were eight musicians haha.

Loved the show! smile.gif Nice summation! One of the best that I've seen them do in a long time. Liked Alex's joke while they fixed Geddy's "technical"problem (no synth). I got quite a bit of it on video before my battery died. Once my phone recharges tomorrow, I'll be curious to see how they came out.

Lots of women there tonight! We were well represented.

I liked Geddy's rig. Bassy, Brainy, Horny, Corny. Popcorn machine. A few solos from Neil. Strings were treated very well and tastefully - respectful of the material. I never though I'd hear YYZ with strings, but they rocked! 1022.gif All those bows just sawing away like mad - fantastic and it didn't detract from the song.

A great, great show and I think lots of folks will love it. I'm really looking forward my next one in October.

trink39.gif to all!

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Bed now....tired....

I loved it as well. Yes, Grand Designs was a big surprise. I have not heard that one since the Power Windows tour, my first ever Rush show in 1986.

Where I was sitting though, the orchestra was not that audible. The CW songs were a bit muddy. But I was fine.

I just wanted to comment again after re-reading everything to thank you for all the details. It's really nice to read a review from someone who can really hear what's going on. As usual for an early (or in this case, opening) show, it sounds like there were a lot of flubs and some technical glitches. Alex is far and away my favorite player and has been for decades but there's no question he has the greatest range in performance from sheer perfection some nights to being really, really off on others. The fact that you referenced The Big Money solo on Rush in Rio confirms to me that you know what you're talking about. I've actually heard people say they can't hear anything wrong in it which makes me wonder just what the heck they hear when they hear music. He holds that one note during the solo way too long and then has to cram the next part to catch up to get back in sync. It's dangerously close to crashing. I posted the full Sarsstock performance on my youtube channel and some people have said they played perfectly, I just don't get it, there are many obvious total flubs throughout and it shouldn't take a musician to hear them, they're blatant. I say all this not to criticize the band, they're better than just about anybody, it just disappoints me how superficially people often hear things. laugh.gif

Anyway, enough ranting about that. I'm sure they'll get it together. I saw them on the third night of the Counterparts tour which in over 30 shows was the earliest in a tour I had ever seen them and while I had fun it was just a series of techical glitches and flubs and stuff all night. The low synthesized voice in Double Agent wouldn't come on and Ged had to just speak it and so on. This is one of the reasons I'm so glad they film their shows much later in the tours when the bugs have been removed.

Anyway, thanks again and I can't wait to see this tour!

smile.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Sep 8 2012, 01:48 AM)
I just wanted to comment again after re-reading everything to thank you for all the details. It's really nice to read a review from someone who can really hear what's going on. As usual for an early (or in this case, opening) show, it sounds like there were a lot of flubs and some technical glitches. Alex is far and away my favorite player and has been for decades but there's no question he has the greatest range in performance from sheer perfection some nights to being really, really off on others. The fact that you referenced The Big Money solo on Rush in Rio confirms to me that you know what you're talking about. I've actually heard people say they can't hear anything wrong in it which makes me wonder just what the heck they hear when they hear music. He holds that one note during the solo way too long and then has to cram the next part to catch up to get back in sync. It's dangerously close to crashing. I posted the full Sarsstock performance on my youtube channel and some people have said they played perfectly, I just don't get it, there are many obvious total flubs throughout and it shouldn't take a musician to hear them, they're blatant. I say all this not to criticize the band, they're better than just about anybody, it just disappoints me how superficially people often hear things.  laugh.gif

Anyway, enough ranting about that. I'm sure they'll get it together. I saw them on the third night of the Counterparts tour which in over 30 shows was the earliest in a tour I had ever seen them and while I had fun it was just a series of techical glitches and flubs and stuff all night. The low synthesized voice in Double Agent wouldn't come on and Ged had to just speak it and so on. This is one of the reasons I'm so glad they film their shows much later in the tours when the bugs have been removed.

Anyway, thanks again and I can't wait to see this tour!

smile.gif

Thanks for your kind words. I go to Rush concerts with a keen ear, almost as if I'm listening for mistakes and nuances rather than the songs as a whole.

A few notes:

The only non-Gibson guitar Alex played with was a beautiful Red Fender Telecaster with a white pickguard during Manhattan Project.

Geddy played a light blue (YES) Fender Jazz bass for some CA songs.

Big Al used the Gibson Goldtop on just Carnies and Headlong Flight.

He used the white ES-355 for Far Cry and Working Man.

Edited by Joesaracer

Band was great, crowd was absolutely pathetic for the most part. My section was an embarrassment. By far and away the worst rock audience I have ever witnessed. It's not even close. No offense to anyone up front, but I didn't see much emotion up there. I was worried. NOBODY in my section stood at any point (I mean, I can understand sitting most of the show...it is what it is...but not even standing for the encore ovation? Tom Sawyer?), everyone was moving to and from the concession stands (seriously, those should be CLOSED during concerts; lube up and eat before the show, please. I pay to see Rush, not peoples' rears etc.) I felt stuffed in my cubbyhole seat like I was on an airliner, and I got dirty looks any time I showed emotion. They were a bunch of mindless zombies wanting to be stuffed with Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio, and I was praying Rush would axe them from the setlist. The setlist up to that point had been a nice F-U to casual fans and an ode to die-hards. The people behind me wouldn't stop moaning about wanting to hear hits, etc etc. They yelled the entire concert and diminished an otherwise outstanding setlist and light show.

I teared up when I heard the strings kick in. I adore symphonic rock/metal, and I adore strings. It was a dream come true, except for the guys behind me who I wanted to punch.

There were a ton of audio issues and Lifeson errors (the former was surprising but to be expected due to it being opening night...and the latter is just par for the course lately), but they were so trivial because the light show, set list, strings, etc. combined to make this arguably the best concert I've been to.

Edited by Deckiller

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Sep 7 2012, 11:55 PM)
Band was great, crowd was absolutely pathetic for the most part. My section was an embarrassment. By far and away the worst rock audience I have ever witnessed. It's not even close. NOBODY in my section stood, everyone was moving to and from the concession stands (seriously, those should be CLOSED during concets; lube up and stuff your face before the show, please. I pay to see Rush, not peoples' rears etc.) I felt stuffed in my cubbyhole seat like I was on an airliner, and I got dirty looks any time I showed emotion. They were a bunch of mindless zombies wanting to be stuffed with Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio, and I was praying Rush would have the balls to axe them from the setlist. The setlist up to that point had been a nice F-U to casual fans. The people behind me wouldn't stop moaning about wanting to hear hits, etc etc. They yelled the entire concert and diminished an otherwise outstanding setlist and light show.

Unfortunately, this is exactly what I predicted I would be in for when I see them this tour as the set was confirmed. As I said a little while ago in the setlist thread I'm stoked for this show but I also know that the vast majority of fans just want the signature stuff over and over and over and they wouldn't even recognize the names of about 3/4 of the songs in this set. It would be nice to say "who cares?" as long as I enjoy the songs but that's just not realistic. It's hard to be into it when you're surrounded by people shouting "Play Limelight!" all night or sitting and pouting or yelling "This sucks!". It's ok not to like certain songs but in the internet age I wish people would have the courtesy to look up the setlist ahead of time if they're so limited in what they want to hear. I was so excited during the S&A tour to hear Digital Man, Entre Nous, and Mission in a row but by the end of those three you could tell 90% of the people around me were totally tuned out, just sitting and talking. Then Freewill starts and they all jump up again like trained seals. "Oh my God! I know this one!" Ugh.

QUOTE (Joesaracer @ Sep 7 2012, 10:06 PM)
Clockwork Angels: Excellent rendition. Strings played on this song as well. Right when the post guitar solo part started, Neil's set turned around, to everyone's surprise. He had to miss a measure of the song to adjust, as well as when the verse began, when the set spun around again.

this was an interesting part of the show. i also noticed that alex played where's my thing less funky and more rocky; the chords were different.

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Sep 8 2012, 12:55 AM)
Band was great, crowd was absolutely pathetic for the most part. My section was an embarrassment. By far and away the worst rock audience I have ever witnessed. It's not even close. No offense to anyone up front, but I didn't see much emotion up there. I was worried. NOBODY in my section stood at any point (I mean, I can understand sitting most of the show...it is what it is...but not even standing for the encore ovation? Tom Sawyer?), everyone was moving to and from the concession stands (seriously, those should be CLOSED during concerts; lube up and eat before the show, please. I pay to see Rush, not peoples' rears etc.) I felt stuffed in my cubbyhole seat like I was on an airliner, and I got dirty looks any time I showed emotion. They were a bunch of mindless zombies wanting to be stuffed with Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio, and I was praying Rush would axe them from the setlist. The setlist up to that point had been a nice F-U to casual fans and an ode to die-hards. The people behind me wouldn't stop moaning about wanting to hear hits, etc etc. They yelled the entire concert and diminished an otherwise outstanding setlist and light show.

I teared up when I heard the strings kick in. I adore symphonic rock/metal, and I adore strings. It was a dream come true, except for the guys behind me who I wanted to punch.

There were a ton of audio issues and Lifeson errors (the former was surprising but to be expected due to it being opening night...and the latter is just par for the course lately), but they were so trivial because the light show, set list, strings, etc. combined to make this arguably the best concert I've been to.

Which section were you seated in? Ugh, I'm crossing my fingers that the crowd at the show I go to will be somewhat lively at least...don't want whiners seated behind me.

Hey, thanks for the write-up. Nice recap of details this old brain can't recall after the ride home.

Great show!! First, die hard fan - been one for over 30 years and counting. Been to at least that many shows.

Nice to hear some not played for a long time, if ever. Definitely enjoyed seeing opening night, hearing mistakes and tech difficulties is part of that experience.

With all the '80's tunes I was surprised to not see the Wal or Steinberger Bass, but it sounded good!

Minor gripes -- tho I did enjoy the rare stuff from PWindows, P/G and Signals, I wish they had thrown us a bone for something pre-Waves. Not a fan of most '80's music - Rush was my exception, but it was still '80's.

Ok, not such a minor gripe here -- big letdown for me with no real solo from Neil. Sorry, a few minutes here and there does not a solo make. I can appreciate if he is phasing it out because it is exhausting, but I can't say I'm happy about it. And, I have to believe there are a bunch of people who go to see Rush because of The Solo. The Solo in Red Sector A for me was interesting, but I really did not like the "pinball" sounds from the Time Machine tour solo, and this was just tons of that - over the top electronica. No thanks -- DRUMS PLEASE! I would have been ok with it as part of the song only, but when I thought it was his token 8-minute solo, I thought, "hope the weird electronic sounds end soon and the rest is actual drums." It ended alright, but no drums.

I really hate writing that above, but hey, if the guys (Neil particularly) are scanning these boards for "feedback." -- Please guys, -- GREAT SHOW -- but please consider revising with an acoustic drum solo!! (please?)

Ok, I'm tired. Will probably regret dissing on any of it tomorrow. Of course, I may regret the $45 shirt more! laugh.gif

I have been a fan since 1983. I last saw them on the Hold Your Fire tour. I was in Manchester last night and had a very mixed reaction. I hated the first set. To me, Power Windows is the low point in the Rush Catalog. Looking back at the setlist, maybe hated is too strong as I enjoyed most of it. I really enjoyed:

Subdivision

Force Ten

The Body Electric

The Analog Kid

Bravado

Where's My Thing

Far Cry

The first set seemed to have a weird vibe. Maybe it was because the section I was in seemed to lose interest after Big Money.

The CA set was amazing an I would go back and see that again. Manhattan Project is one of the two songs from Power windows I can stomach so that was good. Red Sector A was nice. Working Man was great.

I didn't mind the lack of staples at all, in fact I would have been OK if they dropped Tom Sawyer and TSOR. I thought dropping some staples would make room for some other tracks. I just didn't like the heavy Power Windows choices to replace staples.

Ahhh...a little sleep. I feel much better.... smile.gif

I'm replaying the concert this morning (HD 720p) and taking inventory. Wow! It was *so* fraking good. My reaction this morning is even better than last night.

A few bumps are expected - it is opening night. I have never witnessed a flawless Rush show.

The setlist: I was surprised at the '80s focus and the tracks from RTB. I thought it was very strong though. Great selections from Signals through PoW. Great to see The Body Electric! Loved PoW! Songs I haven't seen in decades and it was great to hear them again. A great change of pace from the usual fare.

My only wish was that they would have played La Villa Strangiato...oh, well. Still awesome! 1022.gif

Sorry, Losingit2k - no Losing It. I can understand them not wanting to play that song because of its underlying message. The bell is not ready to toll for Rush.

My videos turned out pretty well for the most part. Some pretty harsh audio clipping at times. Shortened many songs to preserve battery - which was done during Manhattan Project.

2.gif trink39.gif

The Greatest Band in The Galaxy!

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Sep 8 2012, 07:46 AM)
Ahhh...a little sleep. I feel much better.... smile.gif

I'm replaying the concert this morning (HD 720p) and taking inventory. Wow! It was *so* fraking good. My reaction this morning is even better than last night.

A few bumps are expected - it is opening night. I have never witnessed a flawless Rush show.

The setlist: I was surprised at the '80s focus and the tracks from RTB. I thought it was very strong though. Great selections from Signals through PoW. Great to see The Body Electric! Loved PoW! Songs I haven't seen in decades and it was great to hear them again. A great change of pace from the usual fare.

My only wish was that they would have played La Villa Strangiato...oh, well. Still awesome! 1022.gif

Sorry, Losingit2k - no Losing It. I can understand them not wanting to play that song because of its underlying message. The bell is not ready to toll for Rush.

My videos turned out pretty well for the most part. Some pretty harsh audio clipping at times. Shortened many songs to preserve battery - which was done during Manhattan Project.

2.gif trink39.gif

Hey there!!! Top of the morning to ya...

Could you tell me how CA the song went down...hard piece to play and sing. How did it translate live?

2.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 8 2012, 08:51 AM)
Ahhh...a little sleep.  I feel much better.... smile.gif

I'm replaying the concert this morning (HD 720p) and taking inventory.  Wow!  It was *so* fraking good.  My reaction this morning is even better than last night.

A few bumps are expected - it is opening night.  I have never witnessed a flawless Rush show.

The setlist:  I was surprised at the '80s focus and the tracks from RTB.  I thought it was very strong though.  Great selections from Signals through PoW.  Great to see The Body Electric!  Loved PoW! Songs I haven't seen in decades and it was great to hear them again.  A great change of pace from the usual fare. 

My only wish was that they would have played La Villa Strangiato...oh, well.  Still awesome! 1022.gif

Sorry, Losingit2k - no Losing It.  I can understand them not wanting to play that song because of its underlying message.  The bell is not ready to toll for Rush.

My videos turned out pretty well for the most part.  Some pretty harsh audio clipping at times.  Shortened many songs to preserve battery - which was done during Manhattan Project.

2.gif trink39.gif

Could you tell me how CA the song went down...hard piece to play and sing. How did it translate live?

2.gif

I thought the all of the CA songs translated well. Didn't sound like they had to drop any parts musically except for Neil missing a few bars in Clockwork Angels to switch kits.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 8 2012, 08:51 AM)
Ahhh...a little sleep.  I feel much better.... smile.gif

I'm replaying the concert this morning (HD 720p) and taking inventory.  Wow!  It was *so* fraking good.  My reaction this morning is even better than last night.

A few bumps are expected - it is opening night.  I have never witnessed a flawless Rush show.

The setlist:  I was surprised at the '80s focus and the tracks from RTB.  I thought it was very strong though.  Great selections from Signals through PoW.  Great to see The Body Electric!  Loved PoW! Songs I haven't seen in decades and it was great to hear them again.  A great change of pace from the usual fare. 

My only wish was that they would have played La Villa Strangiato...oh, well.  Still awesome! 1022.gif

Sorry, Losingit2k - no Losing It.  I can understand them not wanting to play that song because of its underlying message.  The bell is not ready to toll for Rush.

My videos turned out pretty well for the most part.  Some pretty harsh audio clipping at times.  Shortened many songs to preserve battery - which was done during Manhattan Project.

2.gif trink39.gif

2.gif

Good morning!

CA was stellar! The strings - you could hear all of the detail, Geddy's voice - wonderful wub.gif , Neil - jawdropping, Alex's solo - astounding. Drums spin around for Neil to play "Lean not upon your own understanding" section. Fantastic!

I had to shorten my recordings to save battery life - I got the intro to CA and "Lean not" part to the end. I did get all of 100% of The Anarchist and The Garden, 98% of Headlong Flight and WTW and Caravan, partials of the others from CA

I'll pick up the missing pieces in October.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Alph Seeker @ Sep 8 2012, 01:31 AM)
And, I have to believe there are a bunch of people who go to see Rush because of The Solo.

Yes, Neil's solos reached legendary status a long time ago, but if there are people dropping $100 a ticket just for a drum solo then they've got severe mental problems that not even the best psychiatrists in the world can solve laugh.gif

Great reviews everybody. I was afraid after seeing this set that a lot of the crowd would be clueless but that's why you shouldn't drop the money that tickets cost today if you don't know the bulk of the material from the band you're going to see. You don't have to know everything but if you know at least three quaters of a bands catalog you should be able to enjoy any concert to the fullest.

As I said in another thread, I think nine in a row off the new album might be a bit much since there will be a lot of people attending the shows that either don't like or don't own it. It's a long set so you've gotta add in a few more well known songs just to keep the casuals attention. I think WTW and HE should be taken out for a couple more well known songs. I could really help get the energy back up if they lose the audience with so many new ones in a row.

The good: Subdivsions kicking it off, the strings and guitar solo on The Garden, Grand Designs and Manhattan Project's returns, AMAZING light show (though anything would have been better than that anemic spider like set up from Time Machine, the most lackluster light show Rush has done), and the sound/tone of the drums, also a big improvement from the TM tour. Actually all of this was great, not just good!

The Bad: The strings were too low in the mix except for The Garden and Caravan. They really needed to be punched up, especially for Halo Effect and The Wreckers.

This was the loudest they have ever played, and it muddled a lot of the tunes. At first I thought it was to conceal Ged's aging voice, but no, he was on most of the night! Not sure why they cranked it up as much as they did, and hope they dial it down a hair.

The encore- I said to my son 'I hope they do 3 songs, and 2 of them are not Tom Sawyer and Spirit'.....and they played ONLY those 2 songs. Sigh. When TS led it off, I had so much hope some 70s oldie was going to end it, (What You're Doing? In The Mood? Anthem?) but no, a wasted opportunity.

The Ugly: The Big Money solo, Ged not being on stage to start Caravan, Neil not being on stage to do his first drum part in Halo Effect, the keyboard malfunction, and the Tom Sawyer (lack of) solo.

Alex's joke: Two guys were in a bar, and got drunk. One guy threw up all over his suit before going home. He is upset because his wife is going to kill him for getting drunk and ruining the suit.

His buddy gives him a $20 bill and says 'tell the wife another patron came up to you and vomited on the suit, but gave you the $20 to clean it.' 'You're a genius' he says, and leaves.

Getting home his wife sees the suit and asks what happens. He says "this guy threw up on my suit and gave me $20 to get it cleaned". The wife says "that's great, but there's $40 here." And the guy says "Oh the other $20 is from the guy that pooped in my pants".

Edited by Middle Kingdom