14. Working Man

-Encore-

1. Tom Sawyer

2. The Spirit of Radio

*Drum Solo

**Drum Solo and Alex Solo

Here are my observations on the setlist:

Set 1

The first set is epic. Albeit a direct representation of their 80's endeavor, you can tell the songs are hand picked and are complimentary to each other. If you've read my previous posts throughout this forum, I called Subdivisions as being the opener. It just made sense. To have Grand Designs, Body Electric, Territories, and Analog Kid back-to-back is incredible and worth the price of admission alone.

My only complaints are that Big Money shouldn't follow another album opener like Subdivisions. In fact it should have been omitted altogether. Also, Far Cry has no business being in that set. It is completely out of sync with the rest of the set and has not reached "epic" status to close out a set.

Set 2

Just like Snakes and Arrows, they completely drown out the second set with back to back new material. However, I think many would agree that unlike S&A, Clockwork Angels is an exceptional album. With that being said, the debut of CA is the best part of the second set and one that I look foward to witnessing; especially with a string section. However they could have shortened it and only include 6 or 7 songs from CA instead of 9. Which one's to omit are up for debate. Wish Them Well and The Anarchist seem the most logical to me.

After the CA debut, it all goes south.

1. Why re-introduce another PW track when you clearly represented the album in the first set?

2. Why clog up the setlist with a 3rd drum solo? Neil we know you can play drums, but...c'mon!

3. Why plug in another 80's tune with Red Sector A? This was the perfect opportunity to thrown in a throwback shocker like Jacob's Ladder, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres (prelude), or take your pick.

4. Working Man again? Really? Need I say more?

Encore

I know Tom Sawyer and TSOR have to be represented. But back to back? To open the encore with one of the throwback shockers I mentioned above would have saved that second half of the second set. Plus they've always had three songs in the encore, why they scaled down to two is up for question. I'm sure age and stamina have something to do with it.

Overall I give the setlist an 8 out of 10 simply because the first set and the first half of the second set are worthy. As some have pointed out, maybe they will be alternating songs, or perhaps change it up when they supposedly hit their second leg. After all these years, I'm just appreciative Rush gives me the opportunity to be able to voice my opinion on such matters.

That's the most bulls*** setlist I've ever seen. 4 songs from PoW (ONE OF THERE WORST ALBUMS EVER) and not even the best one (Marathon)? 2 songs from Signals and Moving Pictures: REALLY??? They are complete dumbasses and will never ever be the greatest band ever...

My dad now doesn't even want to go anyone because the setlist is a giant pile of s***

angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Sep 7 2012, 10:28 PM)
That's the most bulls*** setlist I've ever seen. 4 songs from PoW (ONE OF THERE WORST ALBUMS EVER) and not even the best one (Marathon)? 2 songs from Signals and Moving Pictures: REALLY??? They are complete dumbasses and will never ever be the greatest band ever...

My dad now doesn't even want to go anyone because the setlist is a giant pile of s***

angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Sep 7 2012, 11:23 PM)

1. Why re-introduce another PW track when you clearly represented the album in the first set?

2. Why clog up the setlist with a 3rd drum solo? Neil we know you can play drums, but...c'mon!

3. Why plug in another 80's tune with Red Sector A? This was the perfect opportunity to thrown in a throwback shocker like Jacob's Ladder, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres (prelude), or take your pick.

4. Working Man again? Really? Need I say more?

Encore

I know Tom Sawyer and TSOR have to be represented. But back to back? To open the encore with one of the throwback shockers I mentioned above would have saved that second half of the second set. Plus they've always had three songs in the encore, why they scaled down to two is up for question. I'm sure age and stamina have something to do with it.

Overall I give the setlist an 8 out of 10 simply because the first set and the first half of the second set are worthy. As some have pointed out, maybe they will be alternating songs, or perhaps change it up when they supposedly hit their second leg. After all these years, I'm just appreciative Rush gives me the opportunity to be able to voice my opinion on such matters.

I agree completely, it's peculiar to go from The Garden, a song about finality and acceptance in life, to Manhattan Project, a song about developing the atomic bomb. Just a strange WTF choice. Also agree that TS and TSoR padding out the encore looks a bit rushed and desperate to appeal to the casuals. You just know the boys were thinking, "Welp, we gotta cram in Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio somewhere, why not at the end?". wacko.gif

If I could edit the setlist it'd be like this...

Set I:

1. Subdivisions

2. Big Money

3. Force Ten

4. Grand Designs

5. The Body Electric

6. Territories

7. The Analog Kid

8. Bravado

9. Where's My Thing?

10. The Spirit of Radio

Set II:

1. Limelight

2. Caravan

3. BU2B

4. Clockwork Angels

5. The Anarchist

6. Carnies

7. Seven Cities of Gold

8. The Wreckers

9. Headlong Flight

10. The Garden

11. YYZ

12. Losing It

13. Jacob's Ladder

14. Xanadu

Encore:

1. La Villa Strangiato

2. Tom Sawyer

Bottom line for me personally is it's rush. I will sit and listen to them fart into a mic for 3 hours while throwing them handfuls of cash.

However,there is no way i can now take newbies that have heard me hype these guys for years and years.

The discriminating music fans i know will not tolerate this self indulgent setlist that doesn't properly showcase the true talent these guys have.

I think the second leg in 2013 will be a more across the board experience but this one is really just for the hardcore fans and again I'm fine with it(mailing it in at the end is a disappointment though)

but now i have to find 2 more people to go with me willing to pay what i paid for these floor seats and for me there's fat chance of that.

I'm a bit pissed of at the over use of the 80's synth stuff, because I don't really like that stuff. Other than the clockwork Angels Material it takes up about half of the set so I'm really disappointed about that. Theres very little 70s stuff in the setlist which is my favourite era and where the he'll is Limelight?!? This is my first Rush gig and it would be he one where they don't play Limelight! Some stuff I am pleased with is Bravado as thats my favourite Roll the Bones track, Working Man and YYZ but other than that really and apart from the CA stuff, Subdivisions, Far Cry, Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio this is quite a disappointing setlist for me. Hope they change it for next years leg if only to get rid of the over use of Signals in this setlist. I'm sorry but this is a real disappointment for me, the first set is basically a write off if it goes this way. And tell me where 2112 is like we were promised?!?!? And even Jacobs Ladder that some people saw? Heck they didn't even play Losing It! And I don't even like that song!

sad.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 8 2012, 12:32 AM)
QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Sep 7 2012, 11:28 PM)

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif yet there's some truth to it. unsure.gif

To not go altogether because of the setlist means you weren't sure about going in the first place. I never gauge my concert attendance based on the setlist. If I did, I would never go to concerts. There's always going to be a setlist filled with songs you would love to change out. With Rush however, you're guaranteed a great show with exceptional musicianship.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 8 2012, 12:34 AM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Sep 7 2012, 11:23 PM)

2. Why clog up the setlist with a 3rd drum solo?  Neil we know you can play drums, but...c'mon!

3. Why plug in another 80's tune with Red Sector A?  This was the perfect opportunity to thrown in a throwback shocker like Jacob's Ladder, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres (prelude), or take your pick. 

4. Working Man again?  Really?  Need I say more?

Encore

I know Tom Sawyer and TSOR have to be represented.  But back to back?  To open the encore with one of the throwback shockers I mentioned above would have saved that second half of the second set.  Plus they've always had three songs in the encore, why they scaled down to two is up for question.  I'm sure age and stamina have something to do with it.

Overall I give the setlist an 8 out of 10 simply because the first set and the first half of the second set are worthy.  As some have pointed out, maybe they will be alternating songs, or perhaps change it up when they supposedly hit their second leg.  After all these years, I'm just appreciative Rush gives me the opportunity to be able to voice my opinion on such matters.

I agree completely, it's peculiar to go from The Garden, a song about finality and acceptance in life, to Manhattan Project, a song about developing the atomic bomb. Just a strange WTF choice. Also agree that TS and TSoR padding out the encore looks a bit rushed and desperate to appeal to the casuals. You just know the boys were thinking, "Welp, we gotta cram in Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio somewhere, why not at the end?". wacko.gif

If I could edit the setlist it'd be like this...

Set I:

1. Subdivisions

2. Big Money

3. Force Ten

4. Grand Designs

5. The Body Electric

6. Territories

7. The Analog Kid

8. Bravado

9. Where's My Thing?

10. The Spirit of Radio

Set II:

1. Limelight

2. Caravan

3. BU2B

4. Clockwork Angels

5. The Anarchist

6. Carnies

7. Seven Cities of Gold

8. The Wreckers

9. Headlong Flight

10. The Garden

11. YYZ

12. Losing It

13. Jacob's Ladder

14. Xanadu

Encore:

1. La Villa Strangiato

2. Tom Sawyer

Nice amendment to the setlist.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 8 2012, 12:47 AM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Sep 7 2012, 11:42 PM)
QUOTE (dayglow76 @ Sep 8 2012, 12:34 AM)
Bottom line for me personally is it's rush. I will sit and listen to them fart into a mic for 3 hours while throwing them handfuls of cash.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

i wish people would throw cash at me when i fart.

You'd be a millionaire

I'm pretty bummed with the 2nd set. the first set had more then enough 80s era, but to close out the 2nd set with manhattan project and red sector A is extremely underwhelming. Both those songs were pee breaks back in the day. Not sure what they were thinking.

I for one was disappointed with the setlist. The keyboard era was overly represented, seemingly by design, and why? With the exception of Far Cry, the first set was entirely 1982-1991, and then to toss still MORE keyboard era songs into the SECOND set? WTF??

The highlight was actually the playing of CA almost in its entirety. I could've done without Halo Effect, or 7CoG instead of Halo Effect, but that's splitting hairs. I liked the CA part of the set.

I can't imagine what the guys were thinking, though. They pretty much elected to play nothing but the new album (which some attendees may not know) and a dozen keyboard era songs (when most diehards feel that was their worst period). Where's the crowd pleasing stuff? Two songs, tacked on at the very end, almost as a reluctant concession.

I'm psyched I got to see my three "friends" again, but wish they'd played better songs.

You know, there are a lot of songs that do not appear on a existing dvd/bluray. Might make people not mind buying another version of Tom Sawyer. I like the list. I am glad they are not playing Closer, Limelight, 2112, and Free Will. Not that I don't love those songs, but I have seen them many times over the past 25 years.

I have never seen BE or most of CA. I have not seen AK in almost 20 years. More than 20 for Territories, GD, and Manhattan Project. This is great.

I feel bad for the people who will see this as their first Rush show and will not see those tunes I mentioned. But you know what, my first show had some glaring omissions as far as what I wanted to see and with time I got my wish. Hopefully that will hold true for all.

Then again, the boys were only in their 30s back then.

I feel really bad for the friends I am taking with me.

ranton.gif

These guys shelled out $150 each and aside from the CA stuff, which they both own, they will probably recognize 4-5 songs. A group favorite of thiers, Limelight, isn't even in the setlist.

Hell, I feel bad for myself. The 80's stuff is my least favorite period. I don't mind having a few of these 80's songs in there (Analog Kid, Territories) but some of them just seem questionable (Grand Designs). I 'm not saying that I want them to change everything and play a totally different set, but just a tad bit of variety would be nice.

This is a band that defied genre classification for the entirety of their careers by mixing very eclectic influences and never staying the same, but this setlist really only has 2 types of songs, Hard Rock/Metal (CA) and Synth pop/rock (Everything else). Would it have killed them to give us a little bit of Prog? What about some 90's stuff? Hell, even some of the folksiness of SnA would inject some welcomed variety.

rantoff.gif

That said, I'm still excited to go, I'm just telling my friends to leave their expectations at the door.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Sep 7 2012, 08:23 PM)

2. Why clog up the setlist with a 3rd drum solo?  Neil we know you can play drums, but...c'mon!

3. Why plug in another 80's tune with Red Sector A?  This was the perfect opportunity to thrown in a throwback shocker like Jacob's Ladder, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres (prelude), or take your pick. 

4. Working Man again?  Really?  Need I say more?

Encore

I know Tom Sawyer and TSOR have to be represented.  But back to back?  To open the encore with one of the throwback shockers I mentioned above would have saved that second half of the second set.  Plus they've always had three songs in the encore, why they scaled down to two is up for question.  I'm sure age and stamina have something to do with it.

Overall I give the setlist an 8 out of 10 simply because the first set and the first half of the second set are worthy.  As some have pointed out, maybe they will be alternating songs, or perhaps change it up when they supposedly hit their second leg.  After all these years, I'm just appreciative Rush gives me the opportunity to be able to voice my opinion on such matters.

Good points, all well taken except number 4:

Yes --------- Really ---------- No

tongue.gif