Clockwork Angels Tour Setlist

Tombstone Mountain

what's your opinion of the setlist?  

501 members have voted

1. 1. what's your opinion of the setlist?

• Chubby Jimmy...it don't get no better than this
    • Thumbs up...it rocks
    • Thumbs down...Screw the 70's
    • The Finger...This is an atrocity!
    • The Stink Palm...we're gettin' robbed!

I can understand people being disappointed by the lack of Heavier tunes. Trust me that most of you will love the string ensemble, especially during yyz and grand designs. Omitting any songs up to Permanent Waves was a bit of a bummer. The song selections really surprised me. I could definitely live without Working Man and The Body Electric. 2.gif

The setlist is pretty good. They could have removed a few of the songs (Manhattan Project, Red Sector A, Bravado) for more 70's songs, but I really shouldn't complain that much, because they are playing a lot of songs they haven't played in over 20 years. Territories, The Analog Kid, The Body Electric, and Wheres My Thing? are songs I am pretty excited to see. Grand Designs is also gonna be a rare thing to see. And of course all of the great songs from Clockwork Angels! 1022.gif

QUOTE (zac2112 @ Sep 8 2012, 01:36 PM)
This set list blows, i cant believe they opened with a softie, and continue through the first set with lame pw songs. Synth era Rush is by far my least fav, saw both the pw, and gup tours which have been my least fav to this day. They dont redeem with second set by leaving out scog fron ca, and then manhatten project, and red sector a blah.

Yeah they could opened with a hard rocking 70's song, or at least something other than Subdivisions! I think The Big Money would even be a better opening song. I also think they could have removed The Anarchist for Seven Cities of Gold.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 8 2012, 01:57 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Sep 8 2012, 01:16 PM)
i'll enjoy it just fine but Alex promised us Jacob's Ladder!

Bastard.

Alex is a pathological liar. We should all know this by now. tongue.gif

Yeah and he never tells the truth laugh.gif

I wonder what the alternative songs are?

I never got to see Rush in the 80's (I was a child and didn't even know they existed) so for me, the first set was a treat. I would have preferred to hear some late 70's classics at the end, in place of Working Man or say, Manhattan Project, but I really liked Neil's mini drum solo as an intro to Red Sector A. I also always love it when they play Bravado. Overall, they sounded great. Geddy's voice sounded better than at any other show I've been to (my first show was in 2002).

Regardless of the weird set list... it was another fantastic concert by the one and only RUSH!

user posted image

QUOTE (Kenny Olav @ Sep 8 2012, 03:21 PM)
I never got to see Rush in the 80's (I was a child and didn't even know they existed) so for me, the first set was a treat. I would have preferred to hear some late 70's classics at the end, in place of Working Man or say, Manhattan Project, but I really liked Neil's mini drum solo as an intro to Red Sector A. I also always love it when they play Bravado. Overall, they sounded great. Geddy's voice sounded better than at any other show I've been to (my first show was in 2002).

Regardless of the weird set list... it was another fantastic concert by the one and only RUSH!

user posted image

I swear one of those cellists/violinists is going to catch on fire by the time this tour ends! bolt.gif

I'm only 20 and have only seen Rush three times (two S&A shows, one TM show). Since I became a Rush fan around S&A I can honestly say I gravitate more towards the synth stuff over most '70s material.

I was following the Twitter feed with the setlist yesterday while at dinner with some friends and was stunned beyond belief at what I was seeing. I was so unbelievably disappointed with the TM show I saw (bad sound, thought the first set was lame), so when I saw a strong display of PoW songs, The Body Electric, and even Where's My Thing, I was completely nerding out tongue.gif

I don't like Wish Them Well and can honestly do without Working Man (would prefer Xanadu or something like that), but other than that, I have absolutely no complaints. Always thought Where's My Thing was underrated, and I have been hoping for a VERY long time they would break out Territories and Grand Designs.

To those who think "nobody would care" if Rush didn't play songs like Force Ten or The Big Money, that's incorrect. Maybe those are out-played to some of you, but for those of us who were late to the party, this is an absolute gift for us. And CA freaking rocks, so I can't wait for that. CARNIES new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

September 15th cannot come soon enough!

I am a newer fan only discovering Rush around 4 years ago. I have to say the thing i'm most excited of seeing is Clockwork Angels album. That will be amazing. As for the other stuff, I have to admit I am not a huge fan of the 80's synth albums. I do like Red Sector A, Territories, Manhattan Project and The Analog Kid. Some of the others I could do without.

I know people on here are saying Limelight, Red Barchetta and Freewill have been played to death, well then they should play some other hits from the vault such as Jacobs Ladder. Since the 80's fans are getting their setlist this show. Rush needs to give all the 70's fans alot of songs for the next tour. Fly by Night,Xanadu,Jacobs Ladder,Natural Science,A Farewell to Kings,The Trees,2112 the entire side. This is my dream. Lol

Edited by The Garden of Rush

Alex didnt promise JL! He said they were rehearsing it for the Time Machine Tour. Then, they never played it.

If you watch Neil's last instructional video he explains why. He says they gave JL a go for the TMT and it didnt sound good on rehearsals so they discarded it. I don't know where all this "Alex promised Jacob's Ladder" is coming from. It's simply not true.

Love it. Sure, there are some tracks that I would replace with others. But given their expansive catalog and coupled with the fact they cannot make everyone happy, I applaud it. Edited by xx2112xx

The guys have proven once again that, for the most part, they will play whatever the f**k they want to play. If I were Ged, Alex or Neil, I'd be right sick of Freewill, The Trees and 2112 too! Good for them. Grand Designs is a favorite of mine-- I can't believe I'm probably going to miss it...

So sad here in Colorado!

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Sep 8 2012, 04:56 PM)
The guys have proven once again that, for the most part, they will play whatever the f**k they want to play. If I were Ged, Alex or Neil, I'd be right sick of Freewill, The Trees and 2112 too! Good for them. Grand Designs is a favorite of mine-- I can't believe I'm probably going to miss it...
So sad here in Colorado!

I have to admit Grand Designs really surprised me. Then territories...blew my mind...been listnin to Power Windows a lot today...still great stuff....such a contrast to CA. Can't wait fer manana.

So sad here in Colorado!

I agree, and i applaud them for bringing out fresh matierial, unfortunately for this fan the songs they picked are very low on the rushodometer. Kinda hard to play air drums, and guitar to power windows tunes, although Geddy has some good bass lines in some of those songs. Ill just keep dreaming about the opening riffs to what your doing, while im enduring Body Electric!

QUOTE (zac2112 @ Sep 8 2012, 05:16 PM)
So sad here in Colorado!

I agree, and i applaud them for bringing out fresh matierial, unfortunately for this fan the songs they picked are very low on the rushodometer. Kinda hard to play air drums, and guitar to power windows tunes, although Geddy has some good bass lines in some of those songs. Ill just keep dreaming about the opening riffs to what your doing, while im enduring Body Electric!

Clockwork Angels is when you can do your air drumming or air mandola.

Can't wait for HF...BTW...was it better live? Curious about that....such energy 2.gif

Yeah, a lot of 70's style influence in Clockwork Angels and an excellent album, and one Gedddy can sing, plus the 80's getting a modern 2012 live sound is great. Certainly enough "hits" in there for me (Subdivisions, Big Money, YYZ, Working Man, Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio plus looks like Limelight was to be there as well. Superb set list.

Was at the show last night. Loved it! I really enjoyed most of the 80's stuff they pulled out in the 1st set. I might have made a few different choices for CA...but its just my preferences...I not playing they are! They are artists they can play what they enjoy and what to present. Loved the string section, I only wish I could have heard them.

My only complaint is the choices for Last songs. I don't ever want to hear Tom Sawyer again..Red Barchetta is a better choice in my book.

The stage show was so well done, Loved it!

Edited by atrixwolfe

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 8 2012, 06:10 PM)
7 middle-fingers
6 stinkpalms
13 thumbs down

Out of 158 voters about 14% are wanting some Rush welfare checks...damned entitlement culture

2.gif

I have posted here since 2007 (once under a different name, re-registered back in 2010 but lurked for a long time). I think this is the the highest percentage of happy Rush fans in regards to a setlist I have seen to date.

That's just one guy's opinion.

QUOTE (ZachenFoot @ Sep 8 2012, 06:18 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 8 2012, 06:10 PM)
7 middle-fingers
6 stinkpalms
13 thumbs down

Out of 158 voters about 14% are wanting some Rush welfare checks...damned entitlement culture

2.gif

I have posted here since 2007 (once under a different name, re-registered back in 2010 but lurked for a long time). I think this is the the highest percentage of happy Rush fans in regards to a setlist I have seen to date.

That's just one guy's opinion.

maybe a higher percentage of fanboi's than in recent years.