Official Opening Nite Setlist Blowout

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

QUOTE (bscsmkr @ Sep 7 2012, 11:22 PM)
QUOTE (koobie @ Sep 7 2012, 10:17 PM)
What the hell is crossed out in the encore in the setlist seen in the photo of Ged's keyboards that the Rush Backstage Club Tweeted?
Photo

I think it reads "Limelight" on that setlist

Yep. Geddy should have crossed out the one right above it instead.

Big Money

Force 10

Grand designs

Body Electric

Bravado

For me (I'm old and have seen them since MP tour) these are uninspiring choices. Bravado especially.. Ive read how Neil loves the song in his book(s).. but really.. its been *so* played. I applaud the attention to the 80s, but these 5 I would have replaced with other choices.

Of course there's no accounting for taste, and others may love these songs, or never heard them live...

QUOTE (av450 @ Sep 7 2012, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (koobie @ Sep 7 2012, 10:17 PM)
What the hell is crossed out in the encore in the setlist seen in the photo of Ged's keyboards that the Rush Backstage Club Tweeted?
Photo

It's The necromance/the fountain of lamneth/jacobs ladder. Tony R confirmed it

Tony R also promised me a hooker, but she isn't here yet. That guy betrayed me.

(Kidding Tony! tongue.gif )

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Sep 7 2012, 10:15 PM)
7. I'm really excited to see this show but I'm also realistic enough to know that the overwhelming majority of the crowd goes to see Rush to hear what they know from the radio. I'm afraid standing in the crowd is going to ruin most of my enjoyment because of the constant bitching throughout. I'd bet 75% of the typical audience has never even heard the names The Body Electric or Grand Designs or Territories, much less the new songs. It's going to be one long draining night of "Play 2112!!!!!!", and "Play Freewill!!!!!!!!!" and "Play Limelight!!!!!" while I'm trying to hear the songs. I sure hope I'm wrong but I've spend too many evenings standing near a "fan" who spends over 2 hours between every single song yelling "Tom Sawyer!! Tom Sawyer!!" to expect anything different. But thank you Rush for having the courage to play so much off the radar stuff, especially after the incredibly standards-heavy Time Machine tour (although I loved the first set).

Ughh, I'm really worried about this now! Thanks for planting that seed in my head. tongue.gif

Edited by Alchemical

Set 1

Subdivisions

The Big Money

Force 10

Grand Designs

The Body Electric

Territories

Analog Kid

Bravado

Where's My Thing

Far Cry

Intermission

Set 2

Caravan

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight

Wish Them Well

The Garden

Manhatten Project

Red Sector A

YYZ

Working Man

Encore

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit of Radio

I'm sorry, but for my own personal enjoyment, this setlist pretty much blows. No 70s, No 90s, No VT, Very little representation of Permanent Waves. NO VARIETY!

I think the worst part of all of this is the lack of Limelight. I know that it's over-played and I personally never listen to it, but it's a classic that everybody knows and is definitely one of those unifying concert experiences that I feel this list is almost completely devoid of.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 7 2012, 09:25 PM)
Big Money
Force 10
Grand designs
Body Electric
Bravado

For me (I'm old and have seen them since MP tour) these are uninspiring choices. Bravado especially.. Ive read how Neil loves the song in his book(s).. but really.. its been *so* played. I applaud the attention to the 80s, but these 5 I would have replaced with other choices.

Of course there's no accounting for taste, and others may love these songs, or never heard them live...

I've never heard Grand Designs or The Body Electric, so I'm excited for both. But I'd agree with you and trade them for some more diversity in the set. And for me, better Bravado than Dreamline laugh.gif

I will preface this by saying that I am a huge 74-82 Rush fan - that's what I grew up on and always consider to be the classic era of Rush.

I do like some of what has come after and I think CA if a terrific album

I do like the setlist quite a bit even though it lacks a few songs for me

I like that they changed it up to not include so many songs that been played to death and have been on every dvd that they have released.

I think seeing the show will make it even better

I'm surprised that Alex was all for so much 80's synth era as he has been on record numerous time that that period was not his favorite for obvious reasons. I know Geddy and Neil both consider Power Windows one of their masterpieces and they are bigger fans of 1980 through the present time. I think a lot of the tracks were forced upon Alex smile.gif

All in all - not too bad

There will never be a setlist that will make me happy or anyone else.

There were quite a few surprises both good and bad

I really wanted AFTK, Jacob's Ladder, Cinderella Man, Hemispheres, Something for nothing and on and on, but they went a different direction - well a different era

Maybe there will be some change ups but I doubt it from what I read - that it's a pretty meticulous show even more so than in the past

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Sep 7 2012, 11:26 PM)

I think the worst part of all of this is the lack of Limelight. I know that it's over-played and I personally never listen to it, but it's a classic that everybody knows and is definitely one of those unifying concert experiences that I feel this list is almost completely devoid of.

I think what youll miss is that its a f-cking great song, one of their best, from their best album, and it wont get played. But Bravado will be. Fail.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Sep 7 2012, 10:15 PM)
I've been following along but haven't posted yet so I'll put various thoughts in one post.

1. For me, I freaking love this set. As someone who has seen Rush over 30 times and owns every single album/live album/dvd and about 100 bootlegs the fresher the set the better for me. That's why I loved the S&A set so much.

2. This is as close as we'll realistically get to a "B-sides" tour.

3. Like a few others the only part that's actually somewhat disappointing for me is the last four songs. I'm not exactly unhappy about them and they've got to throw a few standards in there for the masses but for me personally those are the least interesting ones.

4. I absolutely love the new album so the more the better, would have also loved to hear Seven Cities.

5. As far as songs like Limelight and Freewill a few of you seem to be acting like those are always played, that's not true at all. Of course, they're very common but they've been skipped here and there. Freewill wasn't played most recently on the R30 tour and also missed the Counterparts and Hold Your Fire tours and others. Limelight was only played on the last leg of the TFE tour and wan't played at all on the Presto and Grace Under Pressure tours.

6. As far as Jacob's Ladder goes, I was shocked reading along at everybody's expectations of hearing it. First of all, I hate to pick on anybody but from what I remember that Tony guy is basically someone that likes to mess with people. Not quite a troll but just likes to feel "smarter than". We know JL was rehearsed for the last tour and didn't make it and Neil specifically addressed this on his most recent instructional dvd where he confirmed they tried it but dropped it because sometimes "You can't go back again" and he seemed pretty adamant about it. Obviously, it's possible he could have changed his mind but that seemed incredibly unlikely only one tour later if you watched him talk about it.

7. I'm really excited to see this show but I'm also realistic enough to know that the overwhelming majority of the crowd goes to see Rush to hear what they know from the radio. I'm afraid standing in the crowd is going to ruin most of my enjoyment because of the constant bitching throughout. I'd bet 75% of the typical audience has never even heard the names The Body Electric or Grand Designs or Territories, much less the new songs. It's going to be one long draining night of "Play 2112!!!!!!", and "Play Freewill!!!!!!!!!" and "Play Limelight!!!!!" while I'm trying to hear the songs. I sure hope I'm wrong but I've spend too many evenings standing near a "fan" who spends over 2 hours between every single song yelling "Tom Sawyer!! Tom Sawyer!!" to expect anything different. But thank you Rush for having the courage to play so much off the radar stuff, especially after the incredibly standards-heavy Time Machine tour (although I loved the first set).

Anyway, there, I'm done! laugh.gif

smile.gif

I couldn't agree more with you...30+ year Rush fan and I excited to hear songs that have not been played in decades

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 7 2012, 10:25 PM)
Big Money
Force 10
Grand designs
Body Electric
Bravado

Grand Designs, Body Electric, Big Money, along with Manhattan Project and Analog Kid, easily give me the biggest boner of the night.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Sep 7 2012, 10:26 PM)
Set 1

Subdivisions
The Big Money
Force 10
Grand Designs
The Body Electric
Territories
Analog Kid
Bravado
Where's My Thing
Far Cry

Intermission

Set 2

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Wish Them Well
The Garden
Manhatten Project
Red Sector A
YYZ
Working Man

Encore

Tom Sawyer
The Spirit of Radio

I'm sorry, but for my own personal enjoyment, this setlist pretty much blows. No 70s, No 90s, No VT, Very little representation of Permanent Waves. NO VARIETY!

I totally agree with you and it would also appear we have the same three three favorite bands. Nice.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Sep 7 2012, 10:26 PM)
Set 1

Subdivisions
The Big Money
Force 10
Grand Designs
The Body Electric
Territories
Analog Kid
Bravado
Where's My Thing
Far Cry

Intermission

Set 2

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight
Wish Them Well
The Garden
Manhatten Project
Red Sector A
YYZ
Working Man

Encore

Tom Sawyer
The Spirit of Radio

I agree. Limelight should never leave the setlist. I Love you, Man solidified that song as a must

QUOTE (cdollaz @ Sep 7 2012, 11:29 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 7 2012, 10:25 PM)
Big Money
Force 10
Grand designs
Body Electric
Bravado

Grand Designs, Body Electric, Big Money, along with Manhattan Project and Analog Kid, easily give me the biggest boner of the night.

Youre too easily aroused. laugh.gif

One thing I have not seen mentioned. . .did Neil in fact scrap the big band part of his solos(s)? If so. . .'bout time.

It was fun and cool for a tour or two, but I am ready for it to retire. (And I'm about the biggest Neilophile around).

QUOTE (hermy @ Sep 7 2012, 10:35 PM)
Piss on you nay-sayers!

I'll take your tickets!!

They were lean, fit, and rocked it like 20 year olds!

Amazing concert!

I want to see them lean and mean.....any pictures?