Official Opening Nite Setlist Blowout

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

QUOTE (Animate @ Sep 7 2012, 11:10 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 7 2012, 10:06 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 7 2012, 11:04 PM)
I would have also loved it if they played Losing It but the rest of the set is very good. I love the 70's but I also love the 80's and CA so I'm not going to complain! Red Sector A, the 4 PoW songs, and Bravado are going to be awesome.

I give them a lot of credit for putting together a set that lacks a lot of their 70's material. It reminds me of when I saw Van der Graaf Generator in June. They only played 3 classics and a bunch of newer stuff. I loved it.

goodpost.gif

LOL that an album from 1985 is still considered their "newer stuff" laugh.gif

synth = high tech = computers = new tech = new material

tongue.gif

Hey -we all have expectations. We know going in that they aren't going to cover everything. I think some of us had high hopes for Losing It and Jacobs Ladder but they were long shot hopes nonetheless. As we got closer to the moment, there were alledgedly credible reports that these two songs were going to be played.

So we got taken. We wished upon a star, was told that star was right behind the cloud, but when the cloud moved, it wasn't there. I think that's what you are hearing at this moment. It wasn't that cool action figure under all that gift wrap. Just another sweater from Aunt Mary (Working Man).

For me, I love the set for the most part. The first CD I ever bought was Grace Under Pressure. That was also my first concert. I can practically recite that setlist. Powerwindows drew me in even deeper and committed me to a lifetime of Rush. So I'm excited to see these songs again.

There will be other stars to watch. Other cool gifts under the tree.

For a such a wonderful band they are so f***ing clueless about their fan base and what it wants.

I guess I will hear some songs from Power Windows I haven't heard live but I would rather it was from Caress of Steel. Sadly the bad has played it safe once again.

It will be a great show as always but come on boys, take a risk once in a while. I think they can't remember how to play songs from Caress of Steel anymore lol

Wow. That is one of the most whacked out setlists that I've ever seen, and as a fan of their 80's material, I mean that in a good way. My guess is that since they played MP in its entirety, there weren't going to break out anything but the absolute must-haves.

IMO, this makes up for many of their last tours, which only gave lip service to the Signals-HYF period. A lot of deep album cuts, along with some of the more familiar songs. However, no deep cuts that they've never played live, which is the first since the R30 tour. It's a shame because I would love to have heard something like Losing It or Second Nature live.

This reminds me of 2010 when I saw Iron Maiden, and 75% of their set was their post reunion material. It's not something the casual fans would necessarily dig, but many of the hardcore fans will.

I'm actually quite happy about this setlist, having come into the band in the 80's, with Power Windows being my first Rush album. I like it that they're doing something quite unexpected, instead of regurgitating so many of the same songs. The only thing that would have made the setlist ideal is if the closing was just as unpredictable as the rest of the set.

Based on their recent track record, I doubt we'll see any switching off, as they haven't done that since the VT tour. Perhaps if they do another leg in 2013, we might see some different cuts.

I would have also loved it if they played Losing It but the rest of the set is very good. I love the 70's but I also love the 80's and CA so I'm not going to complain! Red Sector A, the 4 PoW songs, and Bravado are going to be awesome.

I give them a lot of credit for putting together a set that lacks a lot of their 70's material. It reminds me of when I saw Van der Graaf Generator in June. They only played 3 classics and a bunch of newer stuff. I loved it.

goodpost.gif

I meant non-classic era stuff, not newer. Most fans seem to consider the 70's - early 80's as the classic era.

I think many people expected for the 2nd set to have some older stuff. I hope things change at the next show. If not, they really screwed the pooch starting after Headlong Flight. Not playing Losing It or Jacobs Ladder or at least one of their Epics with Strings during this tour is a complete Travestry IMO. An Epic Fail! The biggest lost opportunity ever!

Maybe this is all part of a big joke being played the the boys. Maybe they asked people to tweet that set list instead of the actual one but I'm reaching, I know I'm in complete denial here!

fists crying.gif

I've been following along but haven't posted yet so I'll put various thoughts in one post.

1. For me, I freaking love this set. As someone who has seen Rush over 30 times and owns every single album/live album/dvd and about 100 bootlegs the fresher the set the better for me. That's why I loved the S&A set so much.

2. This is as close as we'll realistically get to a "B-sides" tour.

3. Like a few others the only part that's actually somewhat disappointing for me is the last four songs. I'm not exactly unhappy about them and they've got to throw a few standards in there for the masses but for me personally those are the least interesting ones.

4. I absolutely love the new album so the more the better, would have also loved to hear Seven Cities.

5. As far as songs like Limelight and Freewill a few of you seem to be acting like those are always played, that's not true at all. Of course, they're very common but they've been skipped here and there. Freewill wasn't played most recently on the R30 tour and also missed the Counterparts and Hold Your Fire tours and others. Limelight was only played on the last leg of the TFE tour and wan't played at all on the Presto and Grace Under Pressure tours.

6. As far as Jacob's Ladder goes, I was shocked reading along at everybody's expectations of hearing it. First of all, I hate to pick on anybody but from what I remember that Tony guy is basically someone that likes to mess with people. Not quite a troll but just likes to feel "smarter than". We know JL was rehearsed for the last tour and didn't make it and Neil specifically addressed this on his most recent instructional dvd where he confirmed they tried it but dropped it because sometimes "You can't go back again" and he seemed pretty adamant about it. Obviously, it's possible he could have changed his mind but that seemed incredibly unlikely only one tour later if you watched him talk about it.

7. I'm really excited to see this show but I'm also realistic enough to know that the overwhelming majority of the crowd goes to see Rush to hear what they know from the radio. I'm afraid standing in the crowd is going to ruin most of my enjoyment because of the constant bitching throughout. I'd bet 75% of the typical audience has never even heard the names The Body Electric or Grand Designs or Territories, much less the new songs. It's going to be one long draining night of "Play 2112!!!!!!", and "Play Freewill!!!!!!!!!" and "Play Limelight!!!!!" while I'm trying to hear the songs. I sure hope I'm wrong but I've spend too many evenings standing near a "fan" who spends over 2 hours between every single song yelling "Tom Sawyer!! Tom Sawyer!!" to expect anything different. But thank you Rush for having the courage to play so much off the radar stuff, especially after the incredibly standards-heavy Time Machine tour (although I loved the first set).

Anyway, there, I'm done! laugh.gif

smile.gif

QUOTE (exiled yorkie @ Sep 7 2012, 09:14 PM)
For a such a wonderful band they are so f***ing clueless about their fan base and what it wants.

I guess I will hear some songs from Power Windows I haven't heard live but I would rather it was from Caress of Steel. Sadly the bad has played it safe once again.

It will be a great show as always but come on boys, take a risk once in a while. I think they can't remember how to play songs from Caress of Steel anymore lol

Seriously?! This is the most non-safe set they could have done. If you don't like it that's fine but to make it seem like they're just treading water doesn't make any sense to me. This is incredibly fresh.

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Sep 7 2012, 09:07 PM)
QUOTE (ShowgunSam @ Sep 7 2012, 09:05 PM)
Good God, would you all just drop it already with the whole "Losing It" fiasco? I mean, could you have gotten your hopes up for a more random song? Strings or not, it's not even that great of a track.

When else would we hear it? And maybe we DO think it's a great song. So instead of being a dickhead about us being disappointed over a missed opportunity, kindly go f**k yourself with a cactus.

z7shysterical.gif

Gotta love opening night... they all come outta the woodwork eh.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 7 2012, 10:14 PM)
I don't think Losing It would come off well live. smile.gif

I don't think Losing It is a shitty song, so everyone stop losing their s**t over such nonsense. It just seems like more of a production number, rather than a live track.

QUOTE (exiled yorkie @ Sep 7 2012, 10:14 PM)

TAKE A RISK?? Are you kidding me? That is EXACTLY what they did tonight. Not playing 2112, Freewill, Limelight, etc is VERY ballsy. God, even if they play 40+ songs people would still bitch.

I bet they figured the fans were sick of hearing all the older staples and wanted them to branch out into more obscure material...we got what we asked for. 653.gif

QUOTE (exiled yorkie @ Sep 7 2012, 09:14 PM)

It will be a great show as always but come on boys, take a risk once in a while.

Implying that this setlist isn't as risky as getting a blowjob from a rattlesnake?

They play what they want to play, and why is that a sin? Not catering to every whim of people who aren't familiar with their catalog beyond the radio hits, that's f*ckin awesome.

Love the set list. Especially the first set. GRAND DESIGNS!!! One of my very favorite Rush Songs. I really like Power Windows but would have traded some songs for a little more catalog diversity. All in all, I'm happy.

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 7 2012, 11:18 PM)
QUOTE (exiled yorkie @ Sep 7 2012, 10:14 PM)

TAKE A RISK?? Are you kidding me? That is EXACTLY what they did tonight. Not playing 2112, Freewill, Limelight, etc is VERY ballsy. God, even if they play 40+ songs people would still bitch.

I bet they figured the fans were sick of hearing all the older staples and wanted them to branch out into more obscure material...we got what we asked for. 653.gif

If they did attempt to play something off of Caress of Steel people would be bitching about how Geddy can't sing that high anymore!

QUOTE (koobie @ Sep 7 2012, 10:17 PM)
What the hell is crossed out in the encore in the setlist seen in the photo of Ged's keyboards that the Rush Backstage Club Tweeted?
Photo

Looks to me like "Limelight" is the title that's crossed out.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 7 2012, 10:14 PM)

goodpost.gif

synth = high tech = computers = new tech = new material

tongue.gif

ohmy.gif wacko.gif

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect!

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 7 2012, 11:00 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 7 2012, 09:57 PM)
QUOTE (dayglow76 @ Sep 7 2012, 09:49 PM)
Let the bitching pissing and moaning begin.

one thing's for sure, i won't be attending this tour. biggrin.gif

That means we should all follow in this guy's footsteps and boycott RUSH! It's the latest trend!

PHUK CLOCKWERK 80'S

FAREWELL TO KINGS OR GTFO

Nah Clockwork 80's is the shit and I can't friggen wait new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I for one am thrilled beyond words. So much of this setlist is the Rush that defined my teens and 20's.

By the way: far too many bands that have been around since the 70's or 80's are content to coast, putting out the same setlist time after time, with only slight tweaks in song order--or a handful of songs replacing each other. They may still sound good live, but after seeing these bands 3 or 4 times, it gets to bee too much. Here are a few such bands, of whom you can pretty much predict 70-80% of the setlists on a given night:

Styx

REO Speedwagon

Foreigner

Poison

Pat Benatar

Ratt

Cinderella

But then again, most of these bands haven't put out anything new in ages--or at least nothing new that fans are actually buying. They satisfy their fans, but they don't really challenge them.

Let's be grateful that Rush continually tries to break new ground, both in the studio and on stage.