Official Opening Nite Setlist Blowout

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 8 2012, 11:42 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 8 2012, 11:38 AM)
It's a bit odd seeing the string section standing there dancing and nodding there heads in those clips, one guy was head banging a bit......Are they out there for the whole set? Even when they aren't needed in the songs?

FFS, they should've gone the whole distance and put old hippies in leotards to dance around in. Damn I didn't think things would approach this level of stupidity. You can surely bet it was Neil that orchestrated this atrocity.

official neil lovers fan club

QUOTE (traeplien @ Sep 8 2012, 12:14 PM)
I'm a "hard core" Rush fan and I do NOT think these are songs for the hard core fan. You want hard core? Jacobs Ladder, Xanadu, Hemispheres, 2112 complete, By Tor, Natural Science, A Farewell to Kings, La Villa Strangiato, need I go on??

different strings, beneath, between, and behind, anything from caress of steel, something for nothing, lessons, twilight zone, the weapon, the enemy within, a farewell to kings, and so on.....

the problem is ged can't touch them.

Edited by ReflectedLight

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 8 2012, 11:31 AM)
These YouTube videos confirm my suspicion of it being a boring concert. Hopefully they'll pull it together for next one. If they don't return next year I could care less.

Yes, disappointed...

Note: The entire conceptual idea for having a strings section was an absolutely piss-poor decision. Completely ridiculous and out of place in any Rush concert.

Yes, angry.

They have been talking about implementing some strings into their live show for a few years now. It's obviously something that THEY want to do. Shocker!! A band of extremely talented artists want to do something that they want to do!!

Some Rush fans are frustrating. I understand being disappointed but there is also something to be said for them doing their own thing. I applaud them for having the balls to work up this kind of setlist and bringing the strings out with them.

I'm a "hard core" Rush fan and I do NOT think these are songs for the hard core fan. You want hard core? Jacobs Ladder, Xanadu, Hemispheres, 2112 complete, By Tor, Natural Science, A Farewell to Kings, La Villa Strangiato, need I go on??

If someone goes to a rush concert and doesn't know those songs then they probably can't even name rush's drummer. Hard core is COS, power windows, HYF, Presto, Different strings-the stuff that very few like

Yes please go on!

popcorn.gif

QUOTE (Chief2112 @ Sep 8 2012, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 8 2012, 11:31 AM)
These YouTube videos confirm my suspicion of it being a boring concert.  Hopefully they'll pull it together for next one.  If they don't return next year I could care less.

Yes, disappointed...

Note: The entire conceptual idea for having a strings section was an absolutely piss-poor decision.  Completely ridiculous and out of place in any Rush concert.

Yes, angry.

They have been talking about implementing some strings into their live show for a few years now. It's obviously something that THEY want to do. Shocker!! A band of extremely talented artists want to do something that they want to do!!

Some Rush fans are frustrating. I understand being disappointed but there is also something to be said for them doing their own thing. I applaud them for having the balls to work up this kind of setlist and bringing the strings out with them.

And Yet they didn't play Losing It!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 8 2012, 10:30 AM)

Yes please go on!

popcorn.gif

For a "hardcore" Rush fan (80's version), this setlist is Heaven.

It's all relative.

Neil Peart "Many Moons Ago" Book Release Interview with Maxime Guillaume

(Excerpt taken from The Digital Drummer, December 21, 2027):

"When you look back on your career with Rush, were there any regrets you had during your days of touring?

"Ah, well,...yes. (pauses momentarily) I distinctly remember a considerably disturbing faux pas we had decided on back in the Summer of 2012, for the 8th leg of the Clockwork Angels Tour. We, ahem, I... came up with the not-so-brilliant idea to employ a strings section for this tour. Quite frankly, we were running out of novelties to utilize that would allow us to enhance a long running show- in a fashion much like how a Dung Beetle rolls a sphere of faecal matter, accumulating random "accoutrements" onto the sphere, if you will. We had considered the unplugged theme of the 90's, but felt this would force us to play most of our best material from the 70's.. and Bubba wasn't having any of that!(laughs). So, it eventually dawns on me that despite my being horrified by the idea of a strings section many years ago, it seemed like a great idea at the time to enhance the droning character of the new album. It also dawned on me that it would be quite economically feasable to simply hire a group of aging musician hippies, throw on some cheap black t-shirts with a white alchemy symbol and let them stand in the dead area behind me. I thought to myself in my perceived moment of brilliance: "I can't stop thinking big", downed another The Macallan and high-fived my male wet-nurse, Michael (Neil explains the jovial banter the two have among each other).

So, many years later, after finally seeing video of those "orchestral" shows on YouTube, I felt the creeping shadow of terror and remorse fall onto me seeing the images of head-banging scruffy, balding and white-haired group of unkempt men of differing heights loitering behind me. It felt like a bad dream, to be honest...a nightmare. I still can't understand what in God's name I was thinking at the time...perhaps a bad combination of Macallan and pertness? (winks). If I could jump into a time machine and change the way we did things this travesty would be on the top of the list. I now realize this atrociousness had no business whatsoever in being associated with Rush and greatly pains me to say it was a clear oversight on my part. But, it is what it is, and I'm so thankful to God for the wonderful things and experiences in my life, past and present.

Oops- and then there's the issue of the African hat.. let's save that eye-full-of-sore for the next interview!" (laughs and smiles intensely)

@copyright TheDigitalDrummer.com

Edited by GeminiRising79

I lost power last night and couldn't follow along. It was very fitting because wading through all 75 pages of this thread was like walking through a small town after a tornado hit it.

A message for the complainers: I saw Rush on the Signals tour and then didn't get another chance until the Counterparts tour. Why? I was in the military so you ass clowns could enjoy your life worry free. I feel like I have just been given a ticket back to a lot of things I missed back then. Don't like the set list I posted, grow up. Leaks happen and they aren't always accurate and if you expect them to be then you have yet to figure out what exactly the internet is.

I am so pumped and am considering seeking out a medically induced coma until the show on the 22nd of September so I don't have to wait so long.

Bring on the boots!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

...so you ass clowns could enjoy your life worry free.

I think there is more to worry about today than there has ever been. Thank you for your service though.

Signed,

Ass Clown

2.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 8 2012, 03:43 PM)
I lost power last night and couldn't follow along.  It was very fitting because wading through all 75 pages of this thread was like walking through a small town after a tornado hit it.

A message for the complainers:  I saw Rush on the Signals tour and then didn't get another chance until the Counterparts tour.  Why?  I was in the military so you ass clowns could enjoy your life worry free.  I feel like I have just been given a ticket back to a lot of things I missed back then.  Don't like the set list I posted, grow up.  Leaks happen and they aren't always accurate and if you expect them to be then you have yet to figure out what exactly the internet is.

I am so pumped and am considering seeking out a medically induced coma until the show on the 22nd of September so I don't have to wait so long.

Bring on the boots!

2.gif  2.gif  2.gif

Bummer. sad.gif Losing power. At least you have the set list to listen to before the show.

Personally, I'd like to thank you for your service to our country. Thank you.

I thought about some of the folks in this forum during last night's show and honestly believe that all fans will enjoy will the show. It's one of their finest.

Rather than a medically induced coma, have you considered large volumes beer and Rush?

smile.gif

2.gif 1022.gif

Personally i think this set list is top notch. I am not a new fan not anymore i don't think(10 years). I started going to these concerts when i was 18 for the S&A tour and have been to 5 so far and two more to be added to this tour. When i discovered this band i went crazy, i immersed my self in their lore and music.

I became that local RUSH nut 24/7 and then i realized i needed to tone it down outside of my friends as contrary to my 14 year old brain they weren't the only band that was good. Years later I've added some of my friends to the club and did enough to at one point go to a concert with 6 of my friends.

Why go into all this. Well i think i represent not the new fans but the getting older fans. Having just finished college and heading on to grad school life is changing, as wells as my views on life, and i hope their maturing. I look at this set list and am happy to see so many older songs, and for me personally and anyone whose only been going to concerts from the 2000s . plus the amazing part for me is i have only seen about 6 of these songs performed live before. unlike the last tour that's a lot of new experiences. And anyone who stared on RUSH Retrospectives will love this , my best friend who just became a fan looked at the set list and said have the songs of the first act where enough to get him to go.

So i think for a good number and I can't generalized outside of the group of people i know, but i can speculate that a lot of the fans around my age will be extremely please to hear so much stuff I've never heard before live.

My only complaint is the use of Red Sector A and Manhattan project. I do think both could be played but there out of place. Red sector A seems a bit two depressing to be that close to the end i think switching it with something from the first set would not be a bad idea, if they really wanted to keep it in. Manhattan project i really think should be switched with something from the first set like territories. I do think it has a place in the concert just not at the end. That or another solution since I'm indifferent to those two (when I'm at the concert I'm sure it would not matter as much because i would just be glad to be there) i would throw in the fear trilogy give one more staple song one more singles, and one Grace under presser, whats not to like and that would lead to some great energy towards the end.

These however are just my opinions, I think as fans we need to be willing to just listing to what they have to offer and enjoy it and i think by letting them do things this way we might get just as a surprising R40. Just my opinion. Can't wait for this Tuesday 1022.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 8 2012, 02:28 PM)
Neil Peart "Many Moons Ago" Book Release Interview with Maxime Guillaume
(Excerpt taken from The Digital Drummer, December 21, 2027):

"When you look back on your career with Rush, were there any regrets you had during your days of touring?

"Ah, well,...yes. (pauses momentarily) I distinctly remember a considerably disturbing faux pas we had decided on back in the Summer of 2012, for the 8th leg of the Clockwork Angels Tour. We, ahem, I... came up with the not-so-brilliant idea to employ a strings section for this tour. Quite frankly, we were running out of novelties to utilize that would allow us to enhance a long running show- in a fashion much like how a Dung Beetle rolls a sphere of faecal matter, accumulating random "accoutrements" onto the sphere, if you will. We had considered the unplugged theme of the 90's, but felt this would force us to play most of our best material from the 70's.. and Bubba wasn't having any of that!(laughs). So, it eventually dawns on me that despite my being horrified by the idea of a strings section many years ago, it seemed like a great idea at the time to enhance the droning character of the new album. It also dawned on me that it would be quite economically feasable to simply hire a group of aging musician hippies, throw on some cheap black t-shirts with a white alchemy symbol and let them stand in the dead area behind me. I thought to myself in my perceived moment of brilliance: "I can't stop thinking big", downed another The Macallan and high-fived my male wet-nurse, Michael (Neil explains the jovial banter the two have among each other).
So, many years later, after finally seeing video of those "orchestral" shows on YouTube, I felt the creeping shadow of terror and remorse fall onto me seeing the images of head-banging scruffy, balding and white-haired group of unkempt men of differing heights loitering behind me. It felt like a bad dream, to be honest...a nightmare. I still can't understand what in God's name I was thinking at the time...perhaps a bad combination of Macallan and pertness? (winks). If I could jump into a time machine and change the way we did things this travesty would be on the top of the list. I now realize this atrociousness had no business whatsoever in being associated with Rush and greatly pains me to say it was a clear oversight on my part. But, it is what it is, and I'm so thankful to God for the wonderful things and experiences in my life, past and present.

Oops- and then there's the issue of the African hat.. let's save that eye-full-of-sore for the next interview!" (laughs and smiles intensely)

@copyright TheDigitalDrummer.com

strong life

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Sep 8 2012, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 8 2012, 10:30 AM)

Yes please go on!

popcorn.gif

For a "hardcore" Rush fan (80's version), this setlist is Heaven.

It's all relative.

Did you even think before writing this? Ffs