Official Opening Nite Setlist Blowout

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

QUOTE (Mara @ Sep 7 2012, 10:33 PM)
One thing I have not seen mentioned. . .did Neil in fact scrap the big band part of his solos(s)? If so. . .'bout time.
It was fun and cool for a tour or two, but I am ready for it to retire. (And I'm about the biggest Neilophile around).

Small sections of the solo were spread in 3 parts throughout the show. Acoustic solo in Where's My Thing, acoustic solo in Headlong Flight, and electronic solo somewhere late in the 2nd set.

QUOTE (Snaked @ Sep 7 2012, 10:22 PM)
Sitting in the business center at my hotel.
I just skimmed through this thread..

I'm very glad my twitter feed was enjoyed by all tonight.
My original plan was to use the twitter feed for photos and the "occasional" spoiler... but VZW service inside the Verizon Wireless Arena made it impossible for me to upload photos so I decided just to post the songs in real time.

I know my tweets werent the most descriptive, but I tried to give a feel for what was happening without taking away too much time from my own enjoyment of the show.

One important note, it has been confirmed that there is a "B" setlist.
I dont know for a fact that it will alternate show by show.. but the "B" setlist exists.

We shall see.

MANY thanks, kind Snaked. This made for not only a fun night, but also saved me the money of going to the bar! Curious to see what the B setlist is... my guess will be BU2B or SCoG swapped with WTW and maybe a swap for Grand Designs or Manhattan Project. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't swap Territories out, guys!

had a great time tonight! That's probably the most surprising set list I've ever seen. That's a good thing!

I know not everybody is going to be happy with the 80s material, but it's great that those tunes were recognized.

Instead of one long drum solo there were 3 smaller ones.

Great Alex solo!

QUOTE (Snaked @ Sep 7 2012, 11:22 PM)
Sitting in the business center at my hotel.
I just skimmed through this thread..

I'm very glad my twitter feed was enjoyed by all tonight.
My original plan was to use the twitter feed for photos and the "occasional" spoiler... but VZW service inside the Verizon Wireless Arena made it impossible for me to upload photos so I decided just to post the songs in real time.

I know my tweets werent the most descriptive, but I tried to give a feel for what was happening without taking away too much time from my own enjoyment of the show.

One important note, it has been confirmed that there is a "B" setlist.
I dont know for a fact that it will alternate show by show.. but the "B" setlist exists.

We shall see.

Confirmed by whom?

I was also told of an alternate set, but the changes are minimal. I believe Temples of Syrinx will alternate with Tom Sawyer based on what I've heard.

Really Jacked for those first 20 songs. Give it a B+

Final 5? ugh D-

Jacob's Ladder is the quintesential Rush song which has such tremendous build up into a lengthy instrumental part. My all time favorite tune is left out again. Don't have the brain left to remember it in 1982 during the New World Man tour.

Signals was in fact the first Rush LP I ever bought and one of the first LPs I ever had. The sound was astonishing and tucked in there was this gem called "Losing It" which I thought was a poetic masterpiece about aging. I was only 14 at the time, but now at 45 I really appreciate it in a melancholy way.

It is a gorgeous song to me for those reasons and the tension of the violin giving way to the guitar is phenominal. There is no song remotely like it anywhere.

Along with others I thought this would have been a perfect opportunity for Xanadu as well with the complete intro.

Wanted to hear more from Signals like Chemistry, The Weapon, Losing It and/or Countdown.

Many thanks to this site, Snaked, RIAB, and the Power Windows site for the real time updates tonight (had to skip around to keep up due to the load time in each thread).

dtpoet said around page 20:

The 40 somethings - this is our era. Our time. Why as teenagers while classmates wre "rocking" to Slayer and other hair bands - we feel in love with Rush!!!!!

Nice to know that there were others besides me.

This setlist was absolutely stunning to me. As a big fan of CA on top of all the 80's material, I am totally stoked for the Minneapolis and Winnipeg shows. The nice thing is if they do alternate songs, I should see both setlists seeing back to back shows.

Great night to be a Rush fan.

Edited by Brava Doh!

QUOTE (Brava Doh! @ Sep 8 2012, 12:52 AM)
Many thanks to Snaked, RIAB, and the Power Windows site for the real time updates tonight (had to skip around to keep up due to the load time in each thread).

dtpoet said around page 20:

The 40 somethings - this is our era. Our time. Why as teenagers while classmates wre "rocking" to Slayer and other hair bands - we feel in love with Rush!!!!!

Nice to know that there were others besides me.

This setlist was absolutely stunning to me. As a big fan of CA on top of all the 80's material, I am totally stoked for the Minneapolis and Winnipeg shows. The nice thin gis if the do alternate songs, I should see both setlists seeing back to back shows.

Great night to be a Rush fan.

yes, it was a completely different setlist. I love that! Nice surprises instead of the same ole same ole.

The lighting effects were really good. I will say that there was a trainwreck. Alex had to tell a joke while something got fixed.

QUOTE (Brava Doh! @ Sep 8 2012, 01:01 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 7 2012, 11:55 PM)
This thread:

71 pages
1,406 posts

IN 12 HOURS.

Nice job keeping your eye on all this sheeeyat tonight. hope you had time to enjoy how everything played out as much as the rest of us did.

My first show is in November, and I would have prefered to go into it not knowing the setlist, but alas, for me, that just isn't realistic. Gotta take one for the team. Still, it's fun to watch it unfold in real time. Especially when they pull this many songs out of the vault.

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Sep 7 2012, 11:56 PM)

(1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 7 2012, 10:55 PM)
This thread:

71 pages
1,406 posts

IN 12 HOURS.

On a Friday night.

Fellow Rush fans, we are awesome.

Nah - we just don't have lives... Lol

QUOTE (dtpoet @ Sep 7 2012, 11:12 PM)
QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Sep 7 2012, 11:56 PM)

(1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 7 2012, 10:55 PM)
This thread:

71 pages
1,406 posts

IN 12 HOURS.

On a Friday night.

Nah - we just don't have lives... Lol

Drinking alone, watching Rush DVD's, and following a guy on Twitter who is updating us as the setlist unfolds... I fail to see how this isn't a life tongue.gif laugh.gif

SPOILERS

haha alex had the worst trainwreck i ever heard on the tom sawyer solo. he wrecked it so bad it was awesome and he knew it and laughed it off real good. alex looks real good btw.

i could not believe they played the body electric. i jumped out of my body with surprise! and grand designs was a special treat. i love power windows. that and territories was the best part of the show. no middletown dreams tho! that would have made my nite.

i loved the opening track. that was a sweet opener. i was holding out for jacobs ladder towards the end and i couldn't believe they didn't play it!

geddy seemed conservative yet his face was very into it. his voice sounded VERY GOOD. he had a new bass for a few songs: a fender that was a sweet mint green in color.

waaay too many songs in a row from the new album. just like the S & A tour but longer. i stopped watching rush and had my eyes fixed on that hot violin player: she was smokin' hot and she was really having fun. keep your eyes out for her. there were about 6 violin players jamming out.

i thought the light show was a little disappointing but my brother loved watching howard and his sidekick trying to figure it out at times ;]

saw some familiar faces: iluvgeddy who looked smokin' hot, bostonrush517, rushgal, chipper was rocking out (from the other boards).

the videos were cool and funny. alex has an interesting speaker cabinet set up: no speakers...just some ufo dish things that had neat effects throughout the show.

sweet placement of the drum solo in where's my thing it reminded me of exit stage left's solo "early in the show"

and dude had to plug in the band after a malfunction before a song i was like WTF with the tech difficulties already

just some thoughts from what stuck with me so far...

Edited by daveyt

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 7 2012, 09:55 PM)
This thread:

71 pages
1,406 posts

IN 12 HOURS.

Pretty amazing man. Server got to stretch it's legs a bit tonight for sure.

I love this set list, can't wait!

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Sep 8 2012, 12:56 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 7 2012, 10:55 PM)
This thread:

71 pages
1,406 posts

IN 12 HOURS.

On a Friday night.

trink39.gif

This is our excuse for a Friday night.

wink.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ Sep 8 2012, 01:25 AM)
SPOILERS

haha alex had the worst trainwreck i ever heard on the tom sawyer solo. he wrecked it so bad it was awesome and he knew it and laughed it off real good. alex looks real good btw.

i could not believe they played the body electric. i jumped out of my body with surprise! and grand designs was a special treat. i love power windows. that and territories was the best part of the show. no middletown dreams tho! that would have made my nite.

i loved the opening track. that was a sweet opener. i was holding out for jacobs ladder towards the end and i couldn't believe they didn't play it!

geddy seemed conservative yet his face was very into it. his voice sounded VERY GOOD. he had a new bass for a few songs: a fender that was a sweet mint green in color.

waaay too many songs in a row from the new album. just like the S & A tour but longer. i stopped watching rush and had my eyes fixed on that hot violin player: she was smokin' hot and she was really having fun. keep your eyes out for her. there were about 6 violin players jamming out.

i thought the light show was a little disappointing but my brother loved watching howard and his sidekick trying to figure it out at times ;]

saw some familiar faces: iluvgeddy who looked smokin' hot, bostonrush517, rushgal, chipper was rocking out (from the other boards).

the videos were cool and funny. alex has an interesting speaker cabinet set up: no speakers...just some ufo dish things that had neat effects throughout the show.

sweet placement of the drum solo in where's my thing it reminded me of exit stage left's solo "early in the show"

and dude had to plug in the band after a malfunction before a song i was like WTF with the tech difficulties already
just some thoughts from what stuck with me so far...

Yep, I believe the malfunction was the keyboard so Alex told a joke until it got fixed.

To me the songs were a bit muddy, but it may be due to where we were sitting. The 80s tunes though were crystal clear.

There were various "Trainwrecks" throughout the night.. this is what happens on opening night.

1. Geddy seemed off key at the end of Territorries

2. Neil was late getting back onto his kit for Halo Effect and came in late

3. Alex totally failed on the Tom Sawyer solo

The show was awesome to me.

The setlist is amazing IMO.

After Neil's first solo I said to the guy next to me that he'll do another one in Headlong Flight... then after I saw how short that solo was I told him there would be a 3rd... it was fantastic.

The end of Carnies is EPIC.

They really went over the top with the pyro to give it a true Carnival feel at the end. I loved it.

The Anarchist seemed a little off which was a disappointment since it's my favorite song on the album.

No Seven Cities of Gold was a HUGE surprise.

Wish Them Well.. I love this song but I wasn't expecting it live. I love the message especially. I don't know if it was the best choice but they killed it pretty much.

The bigger story to the night is not what they DID play, but what they DIDN'T play.

Of the "standards" there was no:

La Villa

Xanadu

Closer To The Heart

Freewill

Limelight

Red Barchetta

Natural Science

The omissions speak more to me of how this band approached the setlist than what was played does. It seems like they made a conscious effort to completely rewrite the setlist top to bottom while including a couple musts for the casual fan.

Ged's mint green bass looked sweet.

Alex's red Tele was nice.

Oh.. and it sure looked to me like Neil's kit is at least a couple feet closer to the front of the stage this tour because of the riser for the string section behind him.

All in all I'm blown away.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Sep 8 2012, 01:28 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 7 2012, 09:55 PM)
This thread:

71 pages
1,406 posts

IN 12 HOURS.

Pretty amazing man. Server got to stretch it's legs a bit tonight for sure.

I love this set list, can't wait!

And I say 12 hours because that's how old the thread was when I posted that. But really, most of those posts and views came in a five hour period. wacko.gif

yeah it was a little muddy but it cleared up as usuall...neil's electronic kit was crystal clear especially the hi-hat yeah i think i remember seeing the roadie walk off with a keyboard...

nice to see alex playing keyboards on the new song; that was a surprise -he was really playing piano if you know what i mean. he'll probably play it with his face by the end of the tour j/k it was a really pretty melody.

the set list had some nice surprises but i wish rush would keep going with that and keep up with the deep cuts: scrap force 10 and big money and bravado and go balls deep. i enjoy those songs but there is a huge vat of other songs to choose from so i agree with others who chimed in about this.

it was as if they were going to play another song at the end with the ending video but fools were breaking down the stage so i was like "yeah they are going to play jacobs ladder" but then i realized they need a microphone for that.