Official Opening Nite Setlist Blowout

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

As a rabid Rush fan since the late 70's, overall, I'm disappointed. Yes, some great earlier songs that will be fun to see/hear live but I'm not that into new Rush music (Power Windows was the last great Rush album for me) and I'm totally sick and tired of standbys like Tom Sawyer and Working Man so the thought of all these new songs being played in lieu of amazing possibilities has me feeling a bit discomforted. Maybe a "Yes" style masterworks tour for the 40th anniversary. That would be the bees knees. Thanks to the folks who posted the setlists. Nice job. Nice forum. Happy trails.

QUOTE (Jaminbenb @ Sep 7 2012, 10:00 PM)
QUOTE (pony2112 @ Sep 7 2012, 09:53 PM)
I've seen them 42 times since the 2112 tour, so I like the set list. But, the casual fan will NOT like this tour. The lack of radio hits is totally shocking.

That's what I liked. Not so many "hits" . Not horrible, just wish a few oddities would have made the cut.. it WOULD have been the perfect opportunity for Losing It, though....

I'm not so much a fan of the hits myself. What would have made the show 100% perfect would have been to take the hits and place them at the end of the first set.

Then we get a second set of delicious awesome oddball Rush and the radio newbs can go home laugh.gif

They could have a 5 hour show and people would still bitch about missing their favorites. I'm not fond of the synthy stuff they did in the eighties, but the first set works for me. I'm just glad they had the energy to really mix it up with different stuff, especially at their age. You want to hear the same concert over and over? Go catch Ted Nugent at the County Fairgrounds.

Some surprises for me:

1. I said on TRF that I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped 2112, which they did. It's epic, but it's done to death.

2. No Jacob's Ladder or Xanadu

3. The concentration of Power Windows tunes.

4. Only 1 Snakes and Arrows, no Vapor Trails or Test for Echo. I thought they may touch 1 song from each, especially since they're recent albums.

5. Not too surprised they left Hemispheres alone since the only thing they haven't played on recent tours is Cygnus II, which is long and way beyond Geddy's range right now.

I'm sure there's lots of songs they'd like to play, but just don't work for them anymore (or for Geddy's voice). Still plenty of catalog to choose from.

I'd give the set list an 8.5 out of 10.

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 7 2012, 10:00 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 7 2012, 09:57 PM)
QUOTE (dayglow76 @ Sep 7 2012, 09:49 PM)
Let the bitching pissing and moaning begin.

one thing's for sure, i won't be attending this tour. biggrin.gif

That means we should all follow in this guy's footsteps and boycott RUSH! It's the latest trend!

PHUK CLOCKWERK 80'S

FAREWELL TO KINGS OR GTFO

Nah Clockwork 80's is the shit and I can't friggen wait new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

i'm done dude. some of the ca tunes are good but it's just too much of a clunker setlist for me. have fun though. trink39.gif

I am 70's Rush all the way- ABC1974 is my current favorite album-

However, I am totally stoked about this playlist!!! Why? Because the songs are totally sing-able by Geddy, right here, right now. I don't appreciate the tuned down versions of the classics- especially- 2112- and would rather here songs Geddy can do justice to.

I would have also loved it if they played Losing It but the rest of the set is very good. I love the 70's but I also love the 80's and CA so I'm not going to complain! Red Sector A, the 4 PoW songs, and Bravado are going to be awesome.

I give them a lot of credit for putting together a set that lacks a lot of their 70's material. It reminds me of when I saw Van der Graaf Generator in June. They only played 3 classics and a bunch of newer stuff. I loved it.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Sep 7 2012, 09:57 PM)
It's interesting how many of us predicted three or four songs from Signals and we instead got four songs from Power Windows. I just can't understand it. One cut from Permanent Waves and only two cuts from Moving Pictures? Not even a Limelight or Red Barchetta? Beyond strange. Sorry to complain, just my reaction.

Wasn't TMT their most successful tour ever? I guess they figured that they played enough of their older material on the last tour... confused13.gif

So, no songs from Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Presto, Counterparts, Test for Echo, or Vapor Trails.

1 song from Permanent Waves, and 2 songs from Moving Pictures.

Good God, would you all just drop it already with the whole "Losing It" fiasco? I mean, could you have gotten your hopes up for a more random song? Strings or not, it's not even that great of a track. And I'm sorry for those of you who expected a 70s set list.

Jesus, even at sixty years old, these guys still put on the best rock performances to date and people still just bitch about anything.

My friends that are goin with me,are gonna be pissed!!... I'm going to have find some hard core rush forum people to hang out with....no 70's stuff?? Except for workin man???hate that f*ckin song. No Jacobs ladder or loosing it...? Maybe in the morning the set list will look better fists crying.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 7 2012, 11:04 PM)
I would have also loved it if they played Losing It but the rest of the set is very good. I love the 70's but I also love the 80's and CA so I'm not going to complain! Red Sector A, the 4 PoW songs, and Bravado are going to be awesome.

I give them a lot of credit for putting together a set that lacks a lot of their 70's material. It reminds me of when I saw Van der Graaf Generator in June. They only played 3 classics and a bunch of newer stuff. I loved it.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (dtpoet @ Sep 7 2012, 09:44 PM)
Earlier today - Tony R was quoted as saying -" Losing It, Territories, and Jacobs Ladder on the set list."

When asked by someone; "Tony Do you have a view of the setlist?", he replied "Indeed I do!"

Guess not -

Oh, Tony... WTF?

QUOTE (ShowgunSam @ Sep 7 2012, 09:05 PM)
Good God, would you all just drop it already with the whole "Losing It" fiasco? I mean, could you have gotten your hopes up for a more random song? Strings or not, it's not even that great of a track.

When else would we hear it? And maybe we DO think it's a great song. So instead of being a dickhead about us being disappointed over a missed opportunity, kindly go f**k yourself with a cactus.

Losing It and Bravado in the sat set would have been too much of a downer. One or the other. Losing It might be hitting a bit too close to home for them. The message in Bravado fits much better with the whole CA theme also.

To tell you the truth, the only 70's song I would really want to hear is "A Farewell to Kings".

I could do without "Grand Designs" and in retrospect "Bravado".

I'll probably change my mind when I actually experience it live.

QUOTE (ShowgunSam @ Sep 7 2012, 10:05 PM)
Good God, would you all just drop it already with the whole "Losing It" fiasco? I mean, could you have gotten your hopes up for a more random song? Strings or not, it's not even that great of a track. And I'm sorry for those of you who expected a 70s set list.

Jesus, even at sixty years old, these guys still put on the best rock performances to date and people still just bitch about anything.

But I wanted losing it! fists crying.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 7 2012, 10:06 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 7 2012, 11:04 PM)

goodpost.gif

LOL that an album from 1985 is still considered their "newer stuff" laugh.gif

QUOTE (ShowgunSam @ Sep 7 2012, 10:05 PM)

Losing It is awesome. Suck it! 1022.gif