CA versus The Anarchist

Jeffrey

Which of the two do you prefer?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the two do you prefer?

• Clockwork Angels
    • The Anarchist

When I'm not otherwise thinking about Rush, and the band suddenly pops into my head, the first thing I associate them with is energy and heaviness. The Anarchist delivers those things much more than does the title track. Edited by NYM86

The backward masking and one of my favorite lyrics on the record:

stars aglow like static sparks

span the sky in clockwork arcs

hint at more than we can see

spiritual machinery

give the edge to CA.

The Anarchist rocks! 1022.gif But, I give the edge, ever so slightly, to CA.

trink39.gif

"Clockwork Angels" is good and everything, but "The Anarchist" rocks oh so much more.

I expected this to be a close race and it is. A back to back battle similar to Tom Sawyer versus Red Barchetta, Subdivisions versus The Analog Kid, The Spirit of Radio verus Freewill etc. Great company indeed. Edited by Jeffrey

Yeah, two VERY good songs and too close to call for me at this point.

CA has the overall epic feel and great lyrics. But it has the worst mix on the album, very muddy especially in the chorus. I also would have preferred some kind of weird 5/8 or 7/8 middle section instead of the bluesy breakdown.

The Anarchist has Alex's best riff since Signals, that Police-ish riff that would be right at home on Signals or even Moving Pictures. The song also has great construction, with a lot of great parts arranged very effectively.

In the end smile.gif , I'll probably go with CA. I'm really looking forward to hearing a live version of this, which I think will clear up the mud from the studio version.

Have to agree with Snaked - The Anarchist was THE tune that hit me immediately - made me laugh out loud, actually, at how badass it is. For me, that nasty flanged unison line w/ the bass pedals under it sounds the most like 1978 that they've sounded since, well... 1978. And adding the Arabic flair w/ the strings? Seriously! And the way Neil absolutely THUMPS it, Bonham-style, in the guitar solo - quite possibly his dirtiest moment on record.

One of their best tunes ever, in my book...

Edited by cmaj7flat5

QUOTE (cmaj7flat5 @ Sep 11 2012, 07:11 PM)
Have to agree with Snaked - The Anarchist was THE tune that hit me immediately - made me laugh out loud, actually, at how badass it is. For me, that nasty flanged unison line w/ the bass pedals under it sounds the most like 1978 that they've sounded since, well... 1978. And adding the Arabic flair w/ the strings? Seriously! One of their best tunes ever, in my book...

It is awesome! One of Rush's finest!

If I have to choose then it's Clockwork Angels. Like they have elaborated in interviews especially Neil, they have never written a song in that Rhythmic fashion or something along that lines. When that song came on for the first time I played the CD I was hypnotized by the build up and atmospherics of it all. To me this is Rush 2012.

I hate choosing and tend to insist everything be taken as a whole. So I gotta say The Anarchist is fantastic and more. Geddy is clearly on FIRE with his bass playing here. In fact haters of this whole album I do not understand why they can't connect or get into it.

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Sep 6 2012, 07:20 PM)
The backward masking and one of my favorite lyrics on the record:

stars aglow like static sparks
span the sky in clockwork arcs
hint at more than we can see
spiritual machinery

give the edge to CA.

The Anarchist rocks! 1022.gif But, I give the edge, ever so slightly, to CA.

trink39.gif

I respect your thoughts as always...but this ain't even close

Clockwork Angels is the Shiznit

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

smilies-8579.png

I absolutely LOVE The Anarchist! wub.gif

From the moment I heard the first notes I knew my auditory senses were in for something special. It has such a great build to it and then settles into a wonderfully groovy tune.

It's like a damn roller coaster ride. The guys put a wonderful mix of ideas into a blender and hit puree'.

I can't say enough about it. Easily the best song they have gifted to us fans in quite a while.

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

This need of having to declare this song better than that song is getting kind of old to me. Music is about moods and feelings so whatever mine are when listening will dictate which hits home more in that particular moment. Sometimes I may enjoy say, "Wish Them Well" over anything else. The main thing to me is that every track on the album has the capability to be the best on any one listen...it's that deep.