Breaking News: Spoiler Alert

Just had breakfast with a journalist for the Union Leader Newspaper and a fellow Rush fan. Here is what was relayed to me with regards to the set list.

The band has made the decision to rehearse the entire record and leave the options open this round to drop 2 and put 2 songs in. The complete record will not be performed on a nightly basis.

Manhattan Project, Marathon, and Nobody's Hero are in the set. Other songs that have been part of the rehearsals with strings outside of the CA songs include Losing It, Second Nature, Spirit of Radio, 2112, and Animate.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oooh and they're going to play Natural Science with just a harp, triangle and a glockenspiel!!!!!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif bolt.gif

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 6 2012, 01:21 PM)
Also, I'm not too thrilled that they're swapping the CA songs from show to show. If they don't play both The Anarchist and Carnies the night I see them... sad.gif

I agree, if they take two out take Caravan and BU2B. I've already seen them, along with Marathon.

Not thrilled with Animate either.

I for one really hope this is a chain pulling exercise. sad.gif With the exception of Losing It, the choice of 'extras' bums me out a little if true.

QUOTE (farcryoverspilledmilk @ Sep 6 2012, 02:26 PM)
The only other detail added in was that some of the songs will be structured very differently to accommodate the strings. There are to be a number of winning moments throughout the night.

I hope you're not bullshitting here.

I personally think people should always listen to what the band says months leading up to a tour. When they say they haven't played a song in years or in x amount of tours they are technically right. Animate for example hasn't been played since 2004. That is 8 years ago. Nobody's Hero hasn't been played since 1998, that is 14 years ago. Manhattan Project was last done in 1990, that is 22 years ago. So in Rushspeak that is going way back and pulling out songs they haven't played in years. A very general term for the band that they can get away with while having such a huge catalog to choose from.

They have been bringing out a few songs each tour that haven't ever been played or played in decades. In this case it looks like Losing It and Second Nature are where they wanted to go since they have a string section with them. I remember oddly thinking when Between Sun and Moon was played on the VT tour that it wasn't even on my radar of consideration for them doing. Between The Wheels was the shocker for R30 out of left field. Then on S&A I don't think anyone would have guessed Digital Man, Entre Nous, and Circumstances to pop up alongside Witch Hunt, Passage To Bangkok, and Mission.

At the very least this will make the night interesting and obviously a song like Animate has a powerful string presence on its own and Nobody's Hero while not in my top 100 Rush songs is a song that has always been a closet fave of theirs.

Edited by farcryoverspilledmilk

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Sep 6 2012, 02:37 PM)
Second Nature? Really?

I never thought they'd choose that one. But I definitely like the song

That would be great because I love that song. Of course, it would be the first time they ever played it. They didn't play it on the HYF tour.

Excited for Losing It, Manhattan Project, Second Nature - I can take it or leave it

I love Marathon - possibly my favorite track post MP, but we just got it last tour - don't need it again

Rush should base their setlist on standards that they have to play and what hasn't been released on video or cd - just my opinion

I don't want swapped out tracks - I don't want to be there on a night where Clockwork Angels or The Anarchist is not on the rotation

Nobody's Hero - I like it, but I've heard it too many times and Animate I just find boring live

It kind of looks like this is going to be a more mellow show than in the past if this is all correct

We need FOH Lights to verify smile.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 6 2012, 01:39 PM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Sep 6 2012, 02:37 PM)
Second Nature? Really?

I never thought they'd choose that one. But I definitely like the song

That would be great because I love that song. Of course, it would be the first time they ever played it. They didn't play it on the HYF tour.

Yeah I can see it working out pretty well with strings.