Anyone else feeling like Clockwork Angels

LeaveMyThingAlone

I am not sure I'm not the only one that is listening to CA to death and listens to all new Rush albums endlessly.

As I fully have engulfed the album and continue to overplay it to death, I am finding the title track to truly be the standout of the album.

The 6:00 mark as they go from the the megaphone and back to the chorus is epic. The 20 seconds from 5:50 to 6:10 is one of those jaw dropping moments in Rush's catalog.

As a whole, this song is proving to be the epic peak of the album and the one that continues to rock more than the others.

BU2B and Clockwork Angels are a close 1 and 2 and both are top 10 all-time Rush songs for me

I giggled to myself when I first heard Clockwork Angels, because I couldn't believe the enormity of it. It is epic in everyway. Is it Xanadu or Camera Eye, Natural Science? No, it's not as long as those efforts, but equally absorbing, and just as grand in ambition and scope. A new sounding kind of EPIC for Rush that is cinematic, and musically off the charts. A CLASSIC.

Yeah I was jumping for joy when I first heard it. It is still as engrossing to me now as it was when I first heard it. It is the indisputable standout on the album.

It has a very modern prog aspect to it (Dream Theater done right) and it makes me wish they had stuck with prog's evolution in the 80s and 90s (much in the same way King Crimson did).

I'm not sure I'd call anything on CA a true epic. The title track comes the closest...the blues break is a very distinct, out-of-nowhere section...but I feel like the song could've really benefited from one additional "movement" on top of that to truly cement itself into epic territory. Edited by NYM86

Yeah for some reason after listening to this CD every time I'm in my car (a lot) for the whole summer, Clockwork Angels is one that I haven't really gotten "bored" of yet, not that the album is boring it's just that I've listened to it so many times. But yeah it's just one of those songs that really sticks out to me every time. Headlong Flight has a similar effect as well.

I was surprised during an early poll that The Anarchist seemed to be the song that most people thought was the best, but a more recent poll has Clockwork Angels in the lead. The song must have been a grower for a lot of people, but I'm glad more people finally realize how great a song it is.

The fact that this is an album that contains The Garden, and Headlong Flight, not to mention Caravan and BU2B, and the title track is STILL the best song on the album is really saying something. It's definitely an epic track for the ages. yes.gif

Edited by rushgoober

I guess I am in the minority in this thread, but the title track hasn't really done much for me.

I still think CA is an incredible effort and in time will probably be my favorite album since GUP.

My fav's on the album (pretty much in order) are Headlong Flight, The Anarchist, The Garden, Carnies, and The Wreckers.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 7 2012, 06:14 AM)
I was surprised during an early poll that The Anarchist seemed to be the song that most people thought was the best, but a more recent poll has Clockwork Angels in the lead.  The song must have been a grower for a lot of people, but I'm glad more people finally realize how great a song it is.

The fact that this is an album that contains The Garden, and Headlong Flight, not to mention Caravan and BU2B, and the title track is STILL the best song on the album is really saying something.  It's definitely an epic track for the ages. yes.gif

I think that's what I'm getting at. If you asked me a month ago, I'd say The Anarchist is the standout on the album. And while it's still phenomenal, I have learned to appreciate CA more.

The greatest thing about a lot of Rush stuff, particularly early in their career, was how intricate some of their stuff is. A lot of subtle stuff going on you really learn to appreciate over time. The title track really reminds me of the progressive masterpieces of the 70's and early 80's

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

Clockwork Angels/The Anarchist

Are clearly my favorite songs on this EPIC album. And Headlong Flight is also quite Epic.

I don't consider The Garden an epic at all. It is a very solid tune but not in the same league as many other fine tunes on this brilliant record.

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Sep 7 2012, 06:30 PM)
The first time I heard Clockwork Angels (the song) I flipped my stuff.  Goosebumps, cold sweat... it even made me say out loud "oh my god..!"

unsure.gif

Here:

http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/ds-photo/getty/article/151/185/78428827_XS.jpg

*backs slowly out of thread*

unsure.gif