CA Audiobook reviews?

Snaked

The audiobook plays out like you are sitting at a campfire with your grandad as he reminices in his adventures. Honestly, it is very similar to listening to a childrens book, in fact, thats what I think it is,... a childrens book with a few darker themes splashed over the innocence and ignorance to the real world. I am only half way through so I will comment after I finish. That is how I have interpeted it thus far wink.gif

Just listened to the Prologue and Chapter 1.

It is a pretty good listen so far.

I'm not sure what the appeal will be for those outside of the Rush circle.

That being said, it is an enjoyable companion to the album.

The audio book is over 8 hours long, so I'll listen to it in stages.

Enjoy it everyone and have a great weekend!

Prologue

It was fitting that I was listening to Clockwork Angels today, on this first stop on the new tour day. That wasn't planned. CA still gives me chills listening.

Chapters 1-28 (with emphasis on Chapter 26):

I bought the mp3, because I found the prospect of Neil Peart reading Mr. Anderson's book to me irresistable. I haven't listened yet, nor read the book, but am looking forward to it. Both.

The End.

I am only a quarter of the way through so far, and I agree that it has the feel of a children's book...but I am enjoying it. It's not a fully produced audio play with music and sound effects the way that some Audio Books are, but it has a lot of charm and knowing that it was Neil's concept, it works to have him reading and performing it. The story and it is unfolding definitely fills in all the gaps of the greater concept than the song lyrics could. I like what I have heard so far.

I've gotten to chapter 12 so far. I mainly got it so I could hear Neil giving voice to the many themes behind CA the album. My review is prolly biased because im such a fangirl. So far I love it. Neil does a good job using tone of voice, infliction and pitch to let you know when the narrator is speaking versus characters in the story. I also feel that he has done a good job getting into character for Owen Hardy, The Pedlar, The Watchmaker, The Anarchist, The Carnies etc...Also the little Rush references sprinkled throughout the story make me giggle. XD

QUOTE (Steely Caress @ Sep 17 2012, 11:54 PM)
How is the mastering? Is it brick walled?
Any clipping?

The only sound effects I've heard are soft strings in the beginning. It's an audio book, not a rock album. Neil Peart's voice is like butter. If you aren't wide awake he will lull you to sleep.

Here's track 5 from disc 1, chosen at random:

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/Track5.jpg

I have it but I'm having trouble ripping it - I want to put it on my MP3 player confused13.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 18 2012, 01:55 AM)
Any clipping?

The only sound effects I've heard are soft strings in the beginning. It's an audio book, not a rock album. Neil Peart's voice is like butter. If you aren't wide awake he will lull you to sleep.

Was being sarcastic of course wink.gif

I'm 5:05:47 into the audiobook and while I like Neils performance, I think the voices he gives to some of the characters area bit cheesy (mainly the Anarchist). I'd have preferred to read the actual book and imagine my own character voices, but no book copies were available and I got impatient.

The writing style is a bit simplistic. The repitition is a bit annoying, and some of the lyric refences seem forced, but I'm still enjoying it pretty well.

QUOTE (Steely Caress @ Sep 18 2012, 09:53 AM)
Any clipping?

I thought so, but what the heck, I thought I'd be helpful. Use this one next time: sarcasm.gif

Emoticons are our friends and they help thick head moments for doofi like me. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 18 2012, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (Steely Caress @ Sep 18 2012, 09:53 AM)
Any clipping?

I thought so, but what the heck, I thought I'd be helpful. Use this one next time: sarcasm.gif

Emoticons are our friends and they help thick head moments for doofi like me. biggrin.gif

No problem trink39.gif